Wolff's Economic Forum

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:34:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I. Preface

Welcome! I will be hosting DDO's first ever economic tournament, using the infamous Swiss structure. The tournament will consist of 10 debaters, broken up into 3 different matches following the regular Norweigan Bracket method. The debate will be entirely based in economic theory, and the catch, is instead of straightforward debate topics, debaters will engage in the formation of complex economic proposals.

II. Debates

Debates, unlike your regular tournament, will be much more complex and situated in reality than one sided proposals. I want to encourage thinking outside the box on economics, which is why all resolutions will come in the form of proposals. I will send out a loose topic, and you can build off of that. Debates will have much higher expectations, and the debaters will be encouraged to include graphs, formulas, and other visual or practical aids to build a strong case upon.

III. Examples

- Develop a plan on how to revitalize this nations arm industry (Pro proposal)
- Create a national health care plan that will help the economy (Con proposal)
- What can the federal government do to revitalize the stock trade (dual proposal)
- Create a trade plan for foreign investment for 2014 (dual proposal)

IV. Structure

The Bracket system is normal, with 5 contestants on each side, moving up with each win. Due to the institution of the BOP, every player will start their first debate with either pro or con. After that debate, they will switch to the opposite BOP. The finale consisting of a dual resolution. This way, every advancing debater will have the chance to propose, refute, and do a dual resolution during the course of the tournament.

V. Rules

- Debates will be challenged up to three days after I send out your debate topic. This gives you three days to create a resolution out of the topic I give you.

- Debates will be 4 rounds.
- Pro will have R1 to make his case, plan, ect.
- R2 will function as a normal round. Supports for pro's case and refutation against it.
- R3 is a normal round
- R4 will have pro finish his case, and con will say no round, or else he would have an extra round to attack pro's case.

VI. Contestants

- Please write your elo and win ratio next to your name.

VII. Judges

Non Mandatory Judges

VIII. Personal Message

For the purpose of this tournament, I will send out a mass PM to everyone involved. This is simply for announcements. Posting on the PM will not be tolerated, so I'm just stating this not. Along with a variable amount of other offenses, breaking the rules could get you kicked out of the tournament. Just to warn you now.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:41:59 AM
At 6/25/2014 1:40:27 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
Glad to see that you started this. I don't have enough time to participate, but I'd love to judge.

Lol man. WTF, you said you would join if I made this. BS. Alright, I'll sign you up as a judge, under the impression you will vote when the time comes
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:42:30 AM
At 6/25/2014 1:34:09 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
I. Preface

Welcome! I will be hosting DDO's first ever economic tournament, using the infamous Swiss structure. The tournament will consist of 10 debaters, broken up into 3 different matches following the regular Norweigan Bracket method. The debate will be entirely based in economic theory, and the catch, is instead of straightforward debate topics, debaters will engage in the formation of complex economic proposals.

II. Debates

Debates, unlike your regular tournament, will be much more complex and situated in reality than one sided proposals. I want to encourage thinking outside the box on economics, which is why all resolutions will come in the form of proposals. I will send out a loose topic, and you can build off of that. Debates will have much higher expectations, and the debaters will be encouraged to include graphs, formulas, and other visual or practical aids to build a strong case upon.

III. Examples

- What can the federal government do to revitalize the stock trade (dual proposal)

IV. Structure

The Bracket system is normal, with 5 contestants on each side, moving up with each win. Due to the institution of the BOP, every player will start their first debate with either pro or con. After that debate, they will switch to the opposite BOP. The finale consisting of a dual resolution. This way, every advancing debater will have the chance to propose, refute, and do a dual resolution during the course of the tournament.

V. Rules

- Debates will be challenged up to three days after I send out your debate topic. This gives you three days to create a resolution out of the topic I give you.

- R2 will function as a normal round. Supports for pro's case and refutation against it.
- R3 is a normal round
- R4 will have pro finish his case, and con will say no round, or else he would have an extra round to attack pro's case.

VI. Contestants

VII. Judges

1. Progressivedem

Non Mandatory Judges

VIII. Personal Message

For the purpose of this tournament, I will send out a mass PM to everyone involved. This is simply for announcements. Posting on the PM will not be tolerated, so I'm just stating this not. Along with a variable amount of other offenses, breaking the rules could get you kicked out of the tournament. Just to warn you now.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:43:01 AM
At 6/25/2014 1:41:59 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Glad to see that you started this. I don't have enough time to participate, but I'd love to judge.

Lol man. WTF, you said you would join if I made this. BS. Alright, I'll sign you up as a judge, under the impression you will vote when the time comes

I said I would, but I didn't think you were making it right now lol.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:47:45 AM
At 6/25/2014 1:43:01 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 6/25/2014 1:41:59 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:

I said I would, but I didn't think you were making it right now lol.

Now it's going to be hell getting contestants. I'll sign myself up if it comes to it.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:56:59 PM
At 6/25/2014 1:42:30 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
I. Preface

II. Debates

III. Examples

IV. Structure

V. Rules

- R3 is a normal round

VI. Contestants

VII. Judges

1. Progressivedem
2. Romanii

Non Mandatory Judges

VIII. Personal Message

CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 3:38:00 PM
I. Preface

II. Debates

III. Examples

IV. Structure

V. Rules

- R3 is a normal round

VI. Contestants

1. CJKAllstar | 3554 | 89.74%

VII. Judges

Non Mandatory Judges

VIII. Personal Message

I'll do this. I need to improve my economic knowledge so this is the perfect way to.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 3:38:55 PM
At 6/25/2014 3:38:00 PM, CJKAllstar wrote:
I. Preface

II. Debates

III. Examples

IV. Structure

V. Rules

- R3 is a normal round

VI. Contestants

VII. Judges

Non Mandatory Judges

VIII. Personal Message

I'll do this. I need to improve my economic knowledge so this is the perfect way to.

After, actually reading what is going on, this looks like a lot of fun.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 5:09:58 PM
I. Preface

II. Debates

III. Examples

IV. Structure

V. Rules

- R3 is a normal round

VI. Contestants

VII. Judges

1. Progressivedem
2. Romanii

Non Mandatory Judges

VIII. Personal Message

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 5:18:46 PM
At 6/25/2014 5:13:29 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
We'll eventually get the contestants.

You may want to try reaching out to some of the following people
-JohnMaynardKeynes
-whiteflame
-Wallstreetatheist
-Khaos_Mage
-ClassicRobert
-Subutai

You're probably gonna have to join yourself, too... there aren't many serious economics debaters on DDO...
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 5:21:03 PM
At 6/25/2014 5:18:46 PM, Romanii wrote:

-JohnMaynardKeynes
-whiteflame
-Wallstreetatheist
-Khaos_Mage
-ClassicRobert
-Subutai

You're probably gonna have to join yourself, too... there aren't many serious economics debaters on DDO...

Is subutai into economics? I had already pm'd a few people, but some still haven't responded. I can definitely imagine John, Whiteflame, and Khaos in this, so I'll shoot them a PM
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 5:22:33 PM
At 6/25/2014 5:21:03 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

-JohnMaynardKeynes
-whiteflame
-Wallstreetatheist
-Khaos_Mage
-ClassicRobert
-Subutai

Is subutai into economics? I had already pm'd a few people, but some still haven't responded. I can definitely imagine John, Whiteflame, and Khaos in this, so I'll shoot them a PM

Yeah, he is. Check out some of his debates.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 5:25:41 PM
At 6/25/2014 5:22:33 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 6/25/2014 5:21:03 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

-JohnMaynardKeynes
-whiteflame
-Wallstreetatheist
-Khaos_Mage
-ClassicRobert
-Subutai

Yeah, he is. Check out some of his debates.

Yeah, I'll ask him. I actually envisioned Ckallstar signing up for this, although I wasn't prepared for someone living in the UK to join a economics tournament that will most likely consist of Americans. I'll have to reform some of the topic for him.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 7:20:13 PM

-JohnMaynardKeynes
-whiteflame
-Wallstreetatheist
-Khaos_Mage
-ClassicRobert
-Subutai

LOL, I am not one for economics, and would/could never take a true economic debate.
I will argue laws and taxes, but not economics per se.
It would have to be a topic that piques my interest.

Hell, I don't even know who Adam Smith is.
My work here is, finally, done.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 9:14:09 PM
At 6/25/2014 7:20:13 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

-JohnMaynardKeynes
-whiteflame
-Wallstreetatheist
-Khaos_Mage
-ClassicRobert
-Subutai

LOL, I am not one for economics, and would/could never take a true economic debate.

Pretty much the same problem on my end (though I do know who Adam Smith is). Just not a subject I'm knowledgeable enough on, even for BS.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 9:39:33 PM
Like progressive's stanley cup, this tournament will be much more realistic if we have 4 rotating contestants. The bracket system will function in that manner for now on. Each debater will rotate for the first bracket phase, and the one with the lowest amount of points will be eliminated. And then its the final match.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 9:40:59 PM
New Bracket System

1.Cjkallstar
2. ChosenWolff

Judges

1. Progressivedem
2. Romanii
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 9:43:57 PM
At 6/25/2014 9:40:59 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
New Bracket System

1.Cjkallstar
2. ChosenWolff

Judges

1. Progressivedem
2. Romanii
3. Debatability
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 6:44:38 AM
At 6/25/2014 9:43:57 PM, debatability wrote:
At 6/25/2014 9:40:59 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
New Bracket System

1.Cjkallstar
2. ChosenWolff
3. Lannan13

Judges

1. Progressivedem
2. Romanii
3. Debatability
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 9:29:40 AM
So this is like a Policy Debate tourney?

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 9:32:51 AM
At 6/26/2014 9:29:40 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Correct, but the topics for your policies will involve economics. (Don't worry, you can still probably make arguments without an advanced understanding, although it helps of course)
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 9:35:07 AM
At 6/26/2014 9:32:51 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/26/2014 9:29:40 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Correct, but the topics for your policies will involve economics. (Don't worry, you can still probably make arguments without an advanced understanding, although it helps of course)

What's that suppose to mean!

Anyways. I have a couple cases planned out then. I knew those years in Debate would payoff sooner or later.

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 9:37:51 AM
At 6/25/2014 7:20:13 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

-JohnMaynardKeynes
-whiteflame
-Wallstreetatheist
-Khaos_Mage
-ClassicRobert
-Subutai

Haha whoops...
I just saw a couple of your debates and arguments with progressivedem and assumed you were an economics guy :P
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 9:57:30 AM
At 6/26/2014 9:37:51 AM, Romanii wrote:

I just saw a couple of your debates and arguments with progressivedem and assumed you were an economics guy :P

IMO, he's better than he gives himself credit for
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 10:02:53 AM
By the way, I encourage any one who has an interesting topic for a policy debate, to run it by me. I am open for suggestions, although many have already been thought out. If there is a specific topic you're interested in, tell me beforehand. I may or may not use it for you.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 10:44:33 AM
At 6/26/2014 10:02:53 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
By the way, I encourage any one who has an interesting topic for a policy debate, to run it by me. I am open for suggestions, although many have already been thought out. If there is a specific topic you're interested in, tell me beforehand. I may or may not use it for you.

Resovled: The United States federal government should mine asteriods. (pro)
Resolved: The United States Federal government should increase port scanning. (pro)
Resolved: THe United States Federal Government should dredge their eastern sea board ports. (con)
Resolved: The United States Federal Government should implament Solar Highways. (con)

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 10:45:58 AM
At 6/26/2014 10:44:33 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 6/26/2014 10:02:53 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:

Resovled: The United States federal government should mine asteriods. (pro)
Resolved: The United States Federal government should increase port scanning. (pro)
Resolved: THe United States Federal Government should dredge their eastern sea board ports. (con)
Resolved: The United States Federal Government should implament Solar Highways. (con)

Actually, as the rules say, I will give you a topic, and you create a policy out of that. You create your resolution, but out of a broad topic that will be pm'd to you. Remember though, this is economics
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8