Jump to topic:

DDO NEEDS a new voting system!

Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 12:18:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
For starters, I want to say I am not the best judge. Though, I do feel I am very fair and honest as possible without any bias.

Part of the problem I have been experiencing is, some of the debates I have encountered are much more complicated than what they need to be. Of course, this is the burden of the judge to deal with. The problem is, the more complicated the debate is, the more time it will take to vote on a debate.

This being said, many debates here on DDO are complicated because many of us are learning how to debate. Meaning, many of us aren't that experienced in debating. Therefore, many of our debates aren't organized very well. Even worse, many of us attempt to manipulate the debate through involuntary deception. Meaning we unknowingly attempt to make the debate go in our favor.

(Meaning at times, we go overboard on attempting to manipulate a debate.)

Again, this isn't something most of us intentionally do, but unintentionally.

Another big problem is the lack of specificity. If the debaters aren't specific enough and speak on general terms. It makes voting much more difficult.

Then to add on to the frustration level, judging debates like this become so time consuming that it makes the process non beneficial to the voters themselves. Therefore, frustrating the DDO user and making the time spent here on DDO not a positive experience.

Perhaps I'm just an average voter, but either way, this is a big problem and DDO needs to address.

Have some suggestions, questions, or comments regarding this issue? Please leave them.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:23:21 PM
At 6/25/2014 12:18:55 PM, Haroush wrote:
For starters, I want to say I am not the best judge. Though, I do feel I am very fair and honest as possible without any bias.

Part of the problem I have been experiencing is, some of the debates I have encountered are much more complicated than what they need to be. Of course, this is the burden of the judge to deal with. The problem is, the more complicated the debate is, the more time it will take to vote on a debate.

This being said, many debates here on DDO are complicated because many of us are learning how to debate. Meaning, many of us aren't that experienced in debating. Therefore, many of our debates aren't organized very well. Even worse, many of us attempt to manipulate the debate through involuntary deception. Meaning we unknowingly attempt to make the debate go in our favor.

(Meaning at times, we go overboard on attempting to manipulate a debate.)

Again, this isn't something most of us intentionally do, but unintentionally.

Another big problem is the lack of specificity. If the debaters aren't specific enough and speak on general terms. It makes voting much more difficult.

Then to add on to the frustration level, judging debates like this become so time consuming that it makes the process non beneficial to the voters themselves. Therefore, frustrating the DDO user and making the time spent here on DDO not a positive experience.

Perhaps I'm just an average voter, but either way, this is a big problem and DDO needs to address.

Have some suggestions, questions, or comments regarding this issue? Please leave them.

I don't think you can solve for debates being stratified in how complicated or vague they are. You might put an option in saying that a judge can ascribe a given debate with either of those terms, but that's really just a non-vote, and it does nothing except reveal problems in the debate in general.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 1:49:56 PM
Sounds entirely like problems in the debates, not ones that a voting system can easily address.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 2:40:52 PM
So, if it is problems in the debates, how would we as a community go about minimizing this problem?

Is it possible for debates to be regulated or do you think this would cause more problems?
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 2:43:59 PM
At 6/25/2014 2:40:52 PM, Haroush wrote:
So, if it is problems in the debates, how would we as a community go about minimizing this problem?

Is it possible for debates to be regulated or do you think this would cause more problems?

The aspects you're talking about are too subjective to be regulated effectively. The time required to effectively cover a debate that is incredibly complex or to evaluate something that is vague inherently makes those debates that do go too far less likely to be voted on, so that's something, but having a system that actively weeds out those debates would be difficult and it seems like it would be taking things too far.
TWG-Rorschach
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 7:40:32 PM
The only problem I've ever noticed with DDO's voting is more of a community aspect in which people would vote for the side they believe in rather than who debated better even if its very one-sided.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 9:34:31 AM
At 6/25/2014 7:40:32 PM, TWG-Rorschach wrote:
The only problem I've ever noticed with DDO's voting is more of a community aspect in which people would vote for the side they believe in rather than who debated better even if its very one-sided.

That is definitely a problem too. I agree.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 12:14:25 AM
I think its better that we stop complaining and just get on with voting. You know many websites aren't as fortunate as we are to have voting systems.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...