Jump to topic:

Once Upon a DDO Episode 15

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 11:32:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The previous episode can be found here: http://www.debate.org...

2 Years Earlier

"In closing," bsh1 announced, still mildly shocked by how loud his voice was against the silent masses, "attorney-client privilege provides due process protections for the vulnerable and increases judicial fairness. The laws of the courts must be respected. However, this privilege does not obstruct the search for truth. Honesty and justice are not mutually exclusive terms. Privilege is beneficial to this system, not antithetical to it. It is my firm belief that privilege and truth-seeking may cooperate and together provide a brand of justice that we may be proud to call worthy of the Kingdom of DDO!"

There was an oppressive silence. bsh1 wiped away the sweat on his forehead. Had it been too much? What if - ?

The crowd burst into applause. Cheers and whistles rang through the audience as though it were an orchestra. A man with rich brunette hair even stood as a standing ovation. bsh1 lowered his head to hide the blush running through his cheeks. Covering quickly, he turned his action into a bow, which sparked another round of applause.

bsh1 smiled as the ELO rained into his basket.

About an hour later, the hall was nearly empty. The spectators and judges had departed. bsh1 collected his newfound ELO halfheartedly. It was nice, he supposed, but it wasn't everything. He enjoying the thrill of the debate more than the reward.

"Hey," a warm voice called out to him. bsh1 looked around. The man who had stood earlier was approaching him. He was built powerfully, bsh1 noticed. Not the sort of man one would desire to fight with.

It took a second for bsh1 to find his voice. "Hi...um, can I help you?"

The man gave him a friendly smile. "That was an excellent debate you did there. Congratulations."

"Thanks," bsh1 said hesitantly. He felt like he should say something more, but he couldn't think of anything. He began walking away.

"I mean it," the man said, following after him. "You had such energy up there. You must have done this before. Have you been debating long?"

"Oh, you know," bsh1 replied. "Here and there." He sped up slightly.

The man wasn't deterred. "I've never seen anything like that before. When you were up there, I felt...I don't even know how to describe it. I'd need to be a poet, not a debater."

"You're too kind." bsh1 was nearly at the exit now. He pushed open one of the doors and stepped into the night. The man was still behind him.

"Look," the man sighed. "I'm going about this all wrong. I'm sorry if I've frightened you."

"You haven't," bsh1 said. "It's just getting late, and I should head home."

"Can I buy you a drink first? As a congratulations?"

"I don't know if that's such a good idea."

"Come on," the man smiled again. "It'll be fun. I promise."

bsh1 met the man's gaze. His eyes had a comforting soulfulness about them. There wasn't any sense of mockery or deceit. Maybe he should give it a try. Something about the man just felt right.

"Alright," bsh1 returned the smile. He held out his hand. "I'm bsh1. Though you already knew that, of course."

The man accepted bsh1's hand. "It's a pleasure. I'm YYW."

Present Day

YYW returned to his quarters in the palace just as the sun began peeping over the horizon. It had taken more effort than he'd anticipated to drag kbub to the dungeon, but he'd finally succeeded. All memory of the fight fled his mind as he opened the door to where bsh1 was undoubtedly waiting for him.

"bsh1"," he called stepping inside. The next two words, I'm home, never left his mouth. Instead his jaw dropped at the chaos waiting inside. Shards littered the ground, cabinets were knocked over - it looked as though another bomb had gone off. Though that was surely impossible. The Practitioners of the Silver Arts had placed the Kingdom in charge of all the bombs they'd made.

"bsh1" YYW repeated. "Where are you? Are you alright?" He didn't bother trying to conceal his concern, instead racing through the home, leaping over the broken glass and furniture with ease. "bsh!"

The kitchen was empty. The living room was empty. The bedroom was empty.

The house was empty. Without bsh1, it held no meaning.

Poison dripped from every nook and cranny. YYW felt his head begin spinning. His vision blurred. Disregarding the clutter around him, he sank to his knees.

"BSH1!" He screamed, a sound so raw and primal that it threatened to shred his vocal cords. Footsteps sprang into life around him, and the muted murmurs told him he had onlookers, but he paid them no mind. Gentle hands fell on his shoulders and consoling whispers floated into his ears, or more accurately, into one and out of the other, and his eyes drifted downward to land on the discarded golden medallion bsh1 had received for triumphing at the debate competition where they'd first met.

Then the world tilted sideways, and YYW knew no more.

CP awoke at the crack of dawn to a rapping on his door. As he sat up, the door opened, and Pitbull walked in, dressed in full chain mail with a sword at his hip.

"Time to go," he said, nodding toward the door.

After he had dressed, CP followed Pitbull toward the exit. The halls of the palace of Edb8 were nowhere near as grand as those in DDO, but they weren't impoverished either. They were lit by candles, torches, and natural light rather than electricity, but they were also...carpeted. That was generous.

"Before I go," CP said, stopping Pitbull, "I would like to speak with King Larz once more. That is, if he's willing."

Pitbull appraised CP. He let out a heavy sigh. "I'll check."

Turning away from the exit, Pitbull led CP back through the palace and toward the king's chambers. CP used the walk to empty his mind. He could have no doubts about what was to come. He had to be resolute. He had lost his son. But he would never lose his Kingdom.

"You will wait here," Pitbull instructed CP when they reached a pair of large wooden doors. CP nodded, but as Pitbull turned to open them, CP sprang forward and slammed Pitbull's head against the doors. Once, twice, three times! Just to be safe.

Pitbull slid to the ground, unconscious.

"You may enter," a voice called from within. CP knelt next to Pitbull and removed the sword from its scabbard. He nodded, satisfied with the quality of the metal, and flung the doors open.

King Larz sat on his silver and jewel-encrusted throne. He didn't look the least bit surprised to see CP. He simply observed the man's advance with a disinterested expression, as though men stormed into his throne room wielding blades on a regular basis.

"I ask you once more," CP demanded, pleased with the way his voice echoed around the room. "Will you stand on the side of liberty and justice? Or will you choose tyranny?"

"I have told you," King Larz answered with equal strength, "that we will not intervene in your little rebellion. My decision is final."

CP nodded coolly. "Then you leave me no choice."

And he stabbed at King Larz.

There was a flash of emerald light, and King Larz vanished. CP gasped as the blade bounced off the throne. It wobbled in his hand, but he managed to keep his grip.

"Foolish boy!" King Larz's words were somehow even louder than before. "Did you really think you could defeat a Moderator?"

Something slammed into CP's chest, and he flew backwards, crashing hard onto the marble tiles. The sword clattered to the ground a few feet away.

CP coughed as he struggled to rise, managing to make it to his knees. He looked up in time to see a bolt of green lightning lancing toward him, and he threw himself sideways. The energy crackled into the wall behind him, leaving a large scorch mark.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 11:32:52 PM
CP pushed himself to his hands and knees, as though preparing to do push-ups. The hairs on the back of his neck stiffened and, without hesitation, he rolled to the side just as another burst of green energy exploded on the ground where he had been.

A deep chuckle resounded through the room.

"In a way, I must thank you for your foolishness. It's been a long time since I got to use my magic. It is a shame it must be wasted on the likes of a lowly assassin like you!"

CP tore his gaze around the room. Where was King Larz? Blasted magic!

"Face me like a King, your majesty!" CP spat. "Don't hide behind your tricks and spells!"

"A good soldier never surrenders his advantage," King Larz responded. "Consider that your final lesson."

CP's eyes fell on the sword. It was there, just a few feet away! If he could only reach it! He had to try. Without thinking, CP flung himself toward the blade. His fingers were mere inches from the handle when something rammed into his side and threw him away from the sword.

CP hit the wall and fell, wincing in pain. It felt like one of his ribs had cracked. He forced his eyes open. He was further away from the sword than ever!

There was another flash of emerald light, and King Larz appeared standing directly over CP. His hands, raised above his head, crackled with the energy of his next spell. CP tasted blood in his mouth. He swore. Magic! Eternally accursed magic!

"A valiant effort," King Larz said, "but I will never allow you to jeopardize the safety of Edb8." The air around the king hummed and buzzed with the force of the magic. "Now perish."

"You should be careful what you wish for," a bright, chirpy voice said, and before CP could blink, a solid foot of gleaming steel burst from King Larz's chest. "If you get my point."

The magic dissipated instantly. King Larz's mouth hung open in a perfect O. Lowering one of his hands, he gently touched the blade protruding from his chest. A deep scarlet liquid coated his fingertips.

King Larz worked his lips, trying to speak. More blood dripped from his body and onto CP. Then there was a slight hissing sound, and the blade was withdrawn, sending the king to his knees, and then his stomach. He locked gazes with CP one last time. CP stared back.

King Larz sighed, releasing all the air in his body. His eyes dimmed, his hands thudded to the ground, and King Larz, the great ruler of Edb8, moved no more.

A hand reached down to CP. He accepted the hand hesitantly and found himself pulled to his feet with ease.

"It's a shame, really," Imabench said, grinning at CP and offering him the blood-soaked blade. "He always seemed like a sharp fellow."
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 3:52:49 AM
Poor Larz... :/

Honey, please tell me YYW is okay...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 8:55:22 AM
At 7/1/2014 12:00:17 AM, Zaradi wrote:
O.O larz just got wrecked.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 10:57:57 AM
An excellent piece. Loved the imagry.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 11:49:55 AM
At 7/1/2014 11:47:41 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 7/1/2014 10:57:57 AM, lannan13 wrote:
An excellent piece. Loved the imagry.

Thank you, Lannan!

You're welcome!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 12:02:35 PM
Great Episode! I loved the way you worked that first-meeting into your story...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 2:03:49 PM
At 7/1/2014 12:02:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Thanks! I thought you'd like that scene.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 9:32:52 PM
At 7/1/2014 2:03:49 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I definitely did...I'd really like to see that scene of YYW buying me a drink and how you'd see us interacting in that context.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 12:44:43 PM
At 7/1/2014 9:32:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I definitely did...I'd really like to see that scene of YYW buying me a drink and how you'd see us interacting in that context.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe. Backstory is good for character development, after all.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 12:26:00 AM
At 7/2/2014 12:44:43 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 7/1/2014 9:32:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe. Backstory is good for character development, after all.

Lol...Thank you ;)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics