Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

URGENT! Is anyone here a UK English scholar?

CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 12:42:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm looking for anyone who has studied English, and is preferably from the U.K.

My stubborn, obstinate friend is under the flawed notion that the word, "sadism" is pronounced, "saadism". I know of course it is, "saydism", but somehow Oxford Dictionaries, Cambridge Dictionaries and wiktionary aren't viable sources.

Instead he is asking for English scholars, so could anyone who has studied English clarify this? After all, this level of stubbornness requires this level of evidence.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 1:27:23 PM
Oxbridge is totally devoid of people who know how to properly speak English, obviously.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 2:02:09 PM
You know what, screw this. I really don't care anymore. He is a stubborn fool anyway.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 2:36:28 PM
At 7/3/2014 12:42:41 PM, CJKAllstar wrote:

My stubborn, obstinate friend is under the flawed notion that the word, "sadism" is pronounced, "saadism". I know of course it is, "saydism", but somehow Oxford Dictionaries, Cambridge Dictionaries and wiktionary aren't viable sources.

Instead he is asking for English scholars, so could anyone who has studied English clarify this? After all, this level of stubbornness requires this level of evidence.

You shouldn't have friends like that.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 2:54:24 PM

Have you considered the possibility that he's just messing with you?
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 2:58:10 PM
At 7/3/2014 2:54:24 PM, Cermank wrote:

I considered it. But this is not the first time it has happened.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 3:00:44 PM
At 7/3/2014 2:58:10 PM, CJKAllstar wrote:

lol, its just that the bolded has a inferno-ish quality to it. "Your facts/ evidences mean nothing to me!'.
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 3:05:28 PM
At 7/3/2014 3:00:44 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 7/3/2014 2:58:10 PM, CJKAllstar wrote:

lol, its just that the bolded has a inferno-ish quality to it. "Your facts/ evidences mean nothing to me!'.

Lol, but no- this is worse. This is like that plus the fallacy of the composition. I.E, this is wrong, your whole argument is then wrong, you are in idiot.