Jump to topic:

The importance of the DDO elections

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2010 11:07:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The DDO elections are upon us and it seems that many promises have been made, or at least many things have been said that people promise to try. We all know that the power of the elected at this site is minimal at best. And so, many have questioned what it the real importance of this? What does going through all this do for this site or anyone on this site, other then give the most popular members an ego boost?

I can't say that this really does anything for the site, not unless Phil chooses to recognize the elected and is willing to listen and possibly make changes. But I can say that the process of the election can be very beneficial to many.

I was never into politics or the political processes when I was in school. In fact, my interest in politics blossomed about 18 months after I graduated. Since then, I've somewhat regretted not trying for student body president or anything like that (not enough to lose sleep over though). We have many members that are still school age and may or may not be interested in school politics. While this site currently does great for challenging and developing individual's idea and political stances, it doesn't do a whole lot in regards to the actual election process, or the election environment. This is where the DDO elections can really help people, to help the people that may be interested in doing school politics or even becoming members on the community board and to become involved in politics in general.

That is how I see the DDO elections benefiting individuals and so being a positive aspect of this community.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2010 11:16:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hear, hear, OreEle! You're absolutely right. It might be all for fun and in the end, it may not really matter. But it still is a little bit of experience, and it still creates a sense of participation among the members. Might not change DDO, but so long as we get at least some people involved, its worth it.