A Lesson!

Ajab
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2014 4:58:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is on the debate forum because I want it to be. :P
This is a quote, and when I read it, it rattled me. It brought me to tears.

'It is such that man views himself subjectively and all humanity objectively, if one does want eternal bliss, that if universality, then look at others subjectively and yourself objectively' - Soren Kierkegaard, Works of Love
#StandWithBossy
#Addison/Blade-of-Truth: I slapped a girl on the arse once with a piece of uncooked chicken, things got weird.
You threw it away, right? -Ajab
Oh lord did you eat it?
...maybe!
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2014 3:44:28 PM
At 7/7/2014 4:58:44 AM, Ajab wrote:

'It is such that man views himself subjectively and all humanity objectively, if one does want eternal bliss, that if universality, then look at others subjectively and yourself objectively' - Soren Kierkegaard, Works of Love

I might take a lesson from it too... if you could translate it into plain English -_-
Ajab
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2014 12:42:00 AM
At 7/7/2014 3:44:28 PM, Romanii wrote:

I might take a lesson from it too... if you could translate it into plain English -_-

How high was yer IQ again? :P
Go vote on my debate with whitey :P
Also it means do not make any excuses for your life. Live your life as morals are absolute, and when you see others, view them subjectively, let them make excuses, try to understand the situations.
#StandWithBossy
#Addison/Blade-of-Truth: I slapped a girl on the arse once with a piece of uncooked chicken, things got weird.
You threw it away, right? -Ajab
Oh lord did you eat it?
...maybe!
doomswatter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2014 9:12:48 AM
I tend to view others through the subjective lens of hatred. Does that count? =P
"You are an irritating fly, and my sword is the flyswatter of your doom." - Sir Chivalot
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2014 7:02:02 PM

It means people tend to understand their own failing and shortcomings in context- they even abuse this tendency by "making excuses" and creating narratives for why personal failings don't make them a "bad person." At the same time people tend to judge other harshly, in black and white terms- person X f*d up, they are a screw up, or a douche, or a scumbag.

If we want bliss we should reverse this. Hold ourselves to uncompromising standards while seeking to understand the context, motivations, mitigating factors, etc. of other people.

I don't agree on a few different levels, but that is what the quote is more or less saying.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2014 7:04:15 PM
At 7/8/2014 12:42:00 AM, Ajab wrote:

Also it means do not make any excuses for your life. Live your life as morals are absolute, and when you see others, view them subjectively, let them make excuses, try to understand the situations.

http://www.reddit.com...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2014 7:50:39 PM
At 7/8/2014 7:04:15 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 7/8/2014 12:42:00 AM, Ajab wrote:

http://www.reddit.com...

Can I nominate you for best sig?
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2014 8:50:48 PM
At 7/8/2014 8:11:50 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 7/8/2014 7:50:39 PM, Raisor wrote:

Sheeeeeeeit, you're my new favorite person on DDO.

The cheese stands alone
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 8:25:46 AM
At 7/8/2014 7:02:02 PM, Raisor wrote:

It means people tend to understand their own failing and shortcomings in context- they even abuse this tendency by "making excuses" and creating narratives for why personal failings don't make them a "bad person." At the same time people tend to judge other harshly, in black and white terms- person X f*d up, they are a screw up, or a douche, or a scumbag.

If we want bliss we should reverse this. Hold ourselves to uncompromising standards while seeking to understand the context, motivations, mitigating factors, etc. of other people.

I don't agree on a few different levels, but that is what the quote is more or less saying.

Oh alright, thanks.
That seems like a good way to lower your self-esteem....
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 4:51:29 PM
At 7/8/2014 8:50:48 PM, Raisor wrote:

The cheese stands alone

The idea is Omar comin' for DDO's top debaters, but everyone has been like "yeah, I'll be free to debate you in about a month." That's okay though. Omar comin' back tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day. And I will put a hurtin' on all yall who duckin' me, so you best think on that.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 10:07:30 PM
At 7/9/2014 4:51:29 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 7/8/2014 8:50:48 PM, Raisor wrote:

The cheese stands alone

The idea is Omar comin' for DDO's top debaters, but everyone has been like "yeah, I'll be free to debate you in about a month." That's okay though. Omar comin' back tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day. And I will put a hurtin' on all yall who duckin' me, so you best think on that.

Have you tried asking whiteflame? (http://www.debate.org...)
He's one of DDO's newest "top debaters" and has been doing debates pretty regularly recently...