Jump to topic:

***Adopt-a-Noob: Official DDO Tournament***

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 1:15:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Blade and I are eager to get our Adopt-a-Noob program underway. It is important to us that newer members get smoothly acclimated to DDO's debating culture, and that they hopefully pick up useful pointers along the way. To that end, we've decided to launch this tournament as we hammer out the details for the program, as a means to pilot some of our ideas, gauge interest, promote the program, and--most importantly--assist new members in their transition to DDO!

I think this will be exciting, and results will be posted in the official DDO Tournament stickied thread, found here: http://www.debate.org... Below are the details of the tournament:

COACHING

The idea of the tournament is to help noobs become more skilled at debating. To that end, this tournament incorporates the idea of having coaches to help inexperienced debaters along.

Each debater will be assigned a coach, and each coach will be responsible for multiple noobs, but not an unmanageable amount hopefully. Coaches are they to help steer noobs through DDO culture, to help noobs improve their debating skills, and to be a contact--someone the new users knows well on the site.

Coaches should, of course, not debate for the noob, but instead help the noob develop. This is intended just as much to be fun as it is to be a learning exercise. It's the presence and involvement of coaches that differentiates this tournament from others, and tailors it specifically to newer members.

FORMAT

The tournament would be a randomized bracket set up. There would also be a consolation bracket to ensure everyone got in at least 2 rounds (so they can take as much from this as possible). The brackets would run concurrently.

What would happen is that once one was eliminated from the "up" bracket, one would drop down into a random slot in the "down" bracket to face another opponent.

The top 4 people will be recognized, as 1st, 2nd place coming from the "up" bracket, and 3rd, and 4th place as coming from the "down" bracket. Other awards or recognitions, like "Most Improved" or "Coach's Choice" may be issued, but that has yet to be determined for certain.

If anyone dropped out, a BYE would be issued. This is an auto-win.

ELIGIBILITY

A noob is someone with 3 or fewer debates, someone who has an ELO of less than 2,000, or someone who has joined within the last 3 months. If you meet at least one of these criteria, you're eligible to participate.

OTHER

Coaches and judges will be selected by me, and will be announced once the tournament has begun.

I hope this will be fun, and a great welcoming experience for new members!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 1:16:35 AM
SIGN-UPS

Please only sign up if you think you will have a few hours a week for the next 2 months or so to devote to this exercise. There is no limit on the number of people who may sign up. Thank you, and good luck!

Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 1:25:42 AM
Aw darn, I joined 4 months ago.

Sounds fun, though!
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 1:27:49 AM
I'll coach if you need me to. I know I don't know how to debate, but if you have a hard time finding qualified people it would be fun.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 3:49:28 AM
At 7/9/2014 1:15:06 AM, bsh1 wrote:
A noob is someone with 3 or fewer debates, someone who has an ELO of less than 2,000, or someone who has joined within the last 3 months. If you meet at least one of these criteria, you're eligible to participate.
Gah. I crossed 2000 already. >:P Meh.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:55:33 AM
At 7/9/2014 1:16:35 AM, bsh1 wrote:
SIGN-UPS

Please only sign up if you think you will have a few hours a week for the next 2 months or so to devote to this exercise. There is no limit on the number of people who may sign up. Thank you, and good luck!

1. Lannan13 (ELO 1,808)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 9:24:49 AM
At 7/9/2014 9:23:03 AM, Romanii wrote:
Is the sign-up list for the noobs or the coaches?
Can you make a special exception for me as a noob?

Romanii you're nowhere close to a noob. You're in the top tier in the DDO Tourney.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 9:26:32 AM
At 7/9/2014 9:24:49 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Romanii you're nowhere close to a noob. You're in the top tier in the DDO Tourney.

elo is dumb -.-
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 9:27:26 AM
At 7/9/2014 9:26:32 AM, Romanii wrote:

elo is dumb -.-

I know right. For some reason mine is 1800 and then you have STALIN's at 4k.

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 9:41:07 AM
At 7/9/2014 9:27:26 AM, lannan13 wrote:

elo is dumb -.-

Lol yeah, I would put you somewhere in the 3K bracket and STALIN around 2500.

My list of users whose elo is not even close to their actual skill level:
Raisor, Mikal, Noumena, ClassicRobert, YYW, Envisage, Romanii, Ajab, Cermank, royalpaladin, F-16_Fighting_Falcon, airmax1227, STALIN, bladerunner060, rross, kbub, Aithlin, Khaos_Mage, lannan13, Teemo, J.Kenyon, larztheloser, innomen.... and there are probably a lot more who I can't remember...

You can decide for yourself whether I mean that it should be higher or lower...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 10:36:57 AM
At 7/9/2014 9:41:07 AM, Romanii wrote:

elo is dumb -.-

Raisor, Mikal, Noumena, ClassicRobert, YYW, Envisage, Romanii, Ajab, Cermank, royalpaladin, F-16_Fighting_Falcon, airmax1227, STALIN, bladerunner060, rross, kbub, Aithlin, Khaos_Mage, lannan13, Teemo, J.Kenyon, larztheloser, innomen.... and there are probably a lot more who I can't remember...

0.0 pew pew pew

Shots fired.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 11:09:12 AM
I would be interested in coaching, if you choose me.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 11:11:53 AM
I want to coach. I find coaching/leading always helps you to improve. It's why I'm running my school's debating club next year, being the youngest to do so as usually those who do are 16-17.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 11:32:52 AM

elo is dumb -.-

Raisor, Mikal, Noumena, ClassicRobert, YYW, Envisage, Romanii, Ajab, Cermank, royalpaladin, F-16_Fighting_Falcon, airmax1227, STALIN, bladerunner060, rross, kbub, Aithlin, Khaos_Mage, CJKAllstar, lannan13, Teemo, J.Kenyon, larztheloser, innomen.... and there are probably a lot more who I can't remember...

Fix'd.

Nah jk. I agree with you on the whole, but for a lot of those time and frequency. Ajab is easily a better debater than me for example, but only joined two months ago. There is no way Mikal is better than bluesteel/Raisor, but Mikal is more frequent in his debating.

ELO as an idea is a good one, but it doesn't take into factor time, frequency as well as actual quality of the debate, challenger and so many variables that would be looked at into.

But that isn't an issue with ELO. This website tries to score what judges do on the most part without a strict mathematical system. ELO, although blatantly not very compatible with this website, is the best option in my eyes because at least it tells us quite a lot in tandem with other stats.

So I think that we should just #yolo with ELO and realise it isn't everything. Realise that it doesn't actually mean much, it doesn't serve much of an objective purpose and we should just stop caring.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 2:12:03 PM
At 7/9/2014 11:32:52 AM, CJKAllstar wrote:

elo is dumb -.-

Raisor, Mikal, Noumena, ClassicRobert, YYW, Envisage, Romanii, Ajab, Cermank, royalpaladin, F-16_Fighting_Falcon, airmax1227, STALIN, bladerunner060, rross, kbub, Aithlin, Khaos_Mage, lannan13, Teemo, J.Kenyon, larztheloser, innomen, popculturepooka, n7... and there are probably a lot more who I can't remember...

Fix'd.

Nah jk. I agree with you on the whole, but for a lot of those time and frequency. Ajab is easily a better debater than me for example, but only joined two months ago. There is no way Mikal is better than bluesteel/Raisor, but Mikal is more frequent in his debating.

ELO as an idea is a good one, but it doesn't take into factor time, frequency as well as actual quality of the debate, challenger and so many variables that would be looked at into.

But that isn't an issue with ELO. This website tries to score what judges do on the most part without a strict mathematical system. ELO, although blatantly not very compatible with this website, is the best option in my eyes because at least it tells us quite a lot in tandem with other stats.

So I think that we should just #yolo with ELO and realise it isn't everything. Realise that it doesn't actually mean much, it doesn't serve much of an objective purpose and we should just stop caring.

I completely agree.

+fix'd
schachdame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 2:14:05 PM
There are honestly days, where I feel like I'd like to get adopted, especially when I am not sure if I am debating an ignorant bullhead or the bullhead is me.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 2:57:50 PM
At 7/9/2014 11:09:12 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Accepted.

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 3:07:38 PM
At 7/9/2014 2:57:50 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 7/9/2014 11:09:12 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Accepted.

I meant for the tournament, and it appears that Bsh is the one making the decisions about that.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 3:39:36 PM
I'm always willing to assist new members, please let me know if there's any way I can help.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 4:53:20 PM
At 7/9/2014 7:55:33 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 7/9/2014 1:16:35 AM, bsh1 wrote:
SIGN-UPS

1. Lannan13 (ELO 1,808)
2. Debatability
Since I'm relatively new to this site.
ArcTImes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 5:15:11 PM

1. Lannan13 (ELO 1,808)
2. Debatability
3. ArcTimes (3 months, please start before I reach 4 lol)
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 5:48:53 PM
Hey now, I can't have my valuable methods getting out to the masses. What do I look like, some kind of professor?

*looks at an image of himself*

...Alright, sign me up...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 6:37:15 PM
At 7/9/2014 5:48:53 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Hey now, I can't have my valuable methods getting out to the masses. What do I look like, some kind of professor?

*looks at an image of himself*

...Alright, sign me up...

lol... I love it.
Tsar of DDO
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 6:56:53 PM
At 7/9/2014 1:15:06 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Blade and I are eager to get our Adopt-a-Noob program underway. It is important to us that newer members get smoothly acclimated to DDO's debating culture, and that they hopefully pick up useful pointers along the way. To that end, we've decided to launch this tournament as we hammer out the details for the program, as a means to pilot some of our ideas, gauge interest, promote the program, and--most importantly--assist new members in their transition to DDO!

I think this will be exciting, and results will be posted in the official DDO Tournament stickied thread, found here: http://www.debate.org... Below are the details of the tournament:

COACHING

The idea of the tournament is to help noobs become more skilled at debating. To that end, this tournament incorporates the idea of having coaches to help inexperienced debaters along.

Each debater will be assigned a coach, and each coach will be responsible for multiple noobs, but not an unmanageable amount hopefully. Coaches are they to help steer noobs through DDO culture, to help noobs improve their debating skills, and to be a contact--someone the new users knows well on the site.

Coaches should, of course, not debate for the noob, but instead help the noob develop. This is intended just as much to be fun as it is to be a learning exercise. It's the presence and involvement of coaches that differentiates this tournament from others, and tailors it specifically to newer members.

FORMAT

The tournament would be a randomized bracket set up. There would also be a consolation bracket to ensure everyone got in at least 2 rounds (so they can take as much from this as possible). The brackets would run concurrently.

What would happen is that once one was eliminated from the "up" bracket, one would drop down into a random slot in the "down" bracket to face another opponent.

The top 4 people will be recognized, as 1st, 2nd place coming from the "up" bracket, and 3rd, and 4th place as coming from the "down" bracket. Other awards or recognitions, like "Most Improved" or "Coach's Choice" may be issued, but that has yet to be determined for certain.

If anyone dropped out, a BYE would be issued. This is an auto-win.

ELIGIBILITY

OTHER

Coaches and judges will be selected by me, and will be announced once the tournament has begun.

I hope this will be fun, and a great welcoming experience for new members!

Could I pleeeeeeeeease be a coach?
Dude... Stop...