Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Hello, I need some tips.

DreadJoker
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 2:00:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Greetings, as you can I'm a new member to this website. The reason for me joining was to improve my debating skills, speak on an intellectual level with others, and to verbally crush my opponent into submission. Are there any particular skills/methods I should know when it comes to debating?
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 2:04:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 2:00:56 PM, DreadJoker wrote:
Greetings, as you can I'm a new member to this website. The reason for me joining was to improve my debating skills, speak on an intellectual level with others, and to verbally crush my opponent into submission. Are there any particular skills/methods I should know when it comes to debating?

Welcome to the site!

There is a tournament for new folks, complete with coaching assistance, getting going. The sign up thread is here:

http://www.debate.org...

If you want to improve, I'd suggest that.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 2:06:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 2:00:56 PM, DreadJoker wrote:
Greetings, as you can I'm a new member to this website. The reason for me joining was to improve my debating skills, speak on an intellectual level with others, and to verbally crush my opponent into submission. Are there any particular skills/methods I should know when it comes to debating?

This should also help a little: http://www.debate.org...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 2:19:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 2:00:56 PM, DreadJoker wrote:
Greetings, as you can I'm a new member to this website. The reason for me joining was to improve my debating skills, speak on an intellectual level with others, and to verbally crush my opponent into submission. Are there any particular skills/methods I should know when it comes to debating?

Your just like me! LOL! Well we'll make good friends indeed! 1. Logic - make statements and learn how to prove them systematically. Learn the many times of logical fallacies and what not. 2. Do your research about everything you want to debate on.
lannan13
Posts: 23,040
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 3:50:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 2:00:56 PM, DreadJoker wrote:
Greetings, as you can I'm a new member to this website. The reason for me joining was to improve my debating skills, speak on an intellectual level with others, and to verbally crush my opponent into submission. Are there any particular skills/methods I should know when it comes to debating?

Putting sources in your debates are always great. Wikipeadia is not an acceptable source and you should break up your argument into Contentions in order to make it easier to read.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 7:47:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 2:00:56 PM, DreadJoker wrote:
Greetings, as you can I'm a new member to this website. The reason for me joining was to improve my debating skills, speak on an intellectual level with others, and to verbally crush my opponent into submission. Are there any particular skills/methods I should know when it comes to debating?

Hey there Dread Joker. It's me, Acid Ace.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...