Debate Tourney: Hosted by Johnicle

Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 4:04:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Greetings DDO Community!

-It just so happens that this thing that they call college, at least freshman year, doesn't take as much time up as they say. At least, with my regular 4 day weekends, and with a cease to judging other debate tournaments every week, I find some extra time on my hands. Therefore, I have decided to host another debate tournament here on DDO.

In past tournaments of mine, there have been a lot of problems. In my spare time, I have tried to solve those problems as best I can to try and run a efficient tournament. Here is how I'll try to address those problems:

Judges:

Being a judge this time around, is a whole new category of tournament dedication. I am no longer allowing judges and competitors to be one in the same. This should free up the amount of work everyone has to put into this tournament. Furthermore, I am not competing in this tournament and will be judging. Finally, judges will not be assigned until after the round is done. This should solve the problems of being bias, being overwhelmed, and being forgetful.

Dropouts/Forfeits:

This was without a doubt the most stressful of the problems I had to deal with while running previous tournaments. I have found a few remedies that should help.

1. Each competitor will be allowed one round where they receive a bye. (therefore, if they know of a conflict where they can not compete, they will be able to step away.)
---This must be announced before posting of the round.
---There will be rounds that you may not use this for. The first rounds and the last ones specifically.

2. After a single 'no-show debate', the debater will be dropped from the tournament unless they contact me with a legitimate excuse.
---Not accepting the challenge within 2 days or forfeiting 2 rounds within the debate both count towards this status.

3. The first rounds will start as limited character debates. In other words, the early rounds may be, for example, 3 round, 3,000 character debates. This will make it easier for both judges and competitors. The final round, for sure, will be a full character debate, perhaps 4 rounds.

Topics:

-These will be straight forward topics (not specific to a certain debate style). Also, these will more likely than not be topics that anyone in the world can debate (so no more Australians having to debate on the United States taxation system).

-Each round will have a topic similar for everyone. Each topic will last 2 rounds so that each debater has to argue both sides.

---Please feel free to PM me a topic idea that you may have.

Length:

-I'm going to be honest about this, the tournament will probably last 2-3 months depending on how many people participate. Signing up for this is a commitment, and anyone who has been in a tournament will know that. However, I am hoping to avoid the 9 month marathon.

Format:

-This will follow a similar format to my original facebook tournament (double elimination). However, there will be a few changes:

1. No bracket, each round will be paired separately. (this makes the optional bye possible)

2. The first 3 weeks will contain rounds 1-4. Week 1 are rounds 1-2 and week 2 are rounds 3-4... Week 3 will be some spare time for judges. Everyone will compete in these 4 rounds regardless of how they do.

How to participate:

You can either be a competitor or a judge. To be a competitor, simply reply "Sign me up" and I will put you down. If you want to prefer to judge, please state so. I will then 'review' you and see if I feel that you are qualified (probably yes). I may or may not use you depending on how many sign up so also state if you want to be a competitor if I don't need you.

I hope this works out. Feel free to leave comments or PM. Other than that, rounds 1 and 2 as well as some technical information will be posted on March 5th.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 5:24:49 PM
Sign me up.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 9:25:06 PM
I want in...and I do know that I'm still part of Vi's Tournament of Champions but it's getting excruciatingly long and I haven't even debated yet. I'm hoping this one will be smoother.
birdpiercefan3334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 10:27:14 PM
After 1 and a half years of being inactive, I'm down to judge again for this tournament.

Just a few qualifiers for me to judge (if anyone is skeptic):
Currently in high school; 3 years of LD debate and current captain oof my team
Compete nationally and locally.
Judged the first facebook tournament, including many late elimination rounds.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 7:45:30 AM
It'd be helpful to see what debate topics are being considered first. I remember during the last tourney there was one I had to do as Pro: War memorials do more harm than good. I wound up winning the debate, but that was more than heavily biased against Pro. Plus, with these tournaments the debate topics tend to be incredibly trite and biased towards politics. I'd like to see more philosophical debate topics, and topics related to history, current events, pop culture, etc. As far as the TOC goes, I can take full blame for the hold-up; right now JBlake and I have to debate but it's been weeks so far and we can NOT come up with a good topic that we both agree we want to debate. That's the negative side to having debaters choose their own topics, I guess.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 7:46:14 AM
At 2/23/2010 8:33:02 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I'd like to be a judge.

Of course :p

Why don't you actually debate, PoeJoe?
President of DDO
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 12:00:45 PM
At 2/25/2010 7:45:30 AM, theLwerd wrote:
It'd be helpful to see what debate topics are being considered first. I remember during the last tourney there was one I had to do as Pro: War memorials do more harm than good. I wound up winning the debate, but that was more than heavily biased against Pro. Plus, with these tournaments the debate topics tend to be incredibly trite and biased towards politics. I'd like to see more philosophical debate topics, and topics related to history, current events, pop culture, etc. As far as the TOC goes, I can take full blame for the hold-up; right now JBlake and I have to debate but it's been weeks so far and we can NOT come up with a good topic that we both agree we want to debate. That's the negative side to having debaters choose their own topics, I guess.

I understand where your coming from. I was thinking of collaborating with the judges to determine the topics, but I might as well open it to the debaters. Although everyone should know that everyone will never agree, so in the end I have to make a final decision, but I try to stay away from abortion, death penalty debates and I try to stick to debates where people could debate either side no matter what.

Here is what I have came up with so far.

-Preventative action should be taken to prevent proliferation beyond the U.S., the U.K., Russia, France, and China.
-The use of immoral means in an attempt to overthrow an immoral government is justified.
-Laptop programs should be integrated into secondary education institutions.
-Promoting world wide democracy should be a higher priority than promoting sovereignty.
-Beliefs aside, religion has had a beneficial effect on attitudinal tendencies.

Also I was thinking of adding some philosophical debates. Perhaps the debate of determinism vs. free will. Any other ideas for topics?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 3:04:08 PM
At 2/25/2010 12:00:45 PM, Johnicle wrote:

I understand where your coming from. I was thinking of collaborating with the judges to determine the topics, but I might as well open it to the debaters. Although everyone should know that everyone will never agree, so in the end I have to make a final decision, but I try to stay away from abortion, death penalty debates and I try to stick to debates where people could debate either side no matter what.

Here is what I have came up with so far.

-Preventative action should be taken to prevent proliferation beyond the U.S., the U.K., Russia, France, and China.

-The use of immoral means in an attempt to overthrow an immoral government is justified.

^ This topic is too biased. I can see the Con side but the judges might not (even with a good Con debater).

I think this one is too biased ^

-Promoting world wide democracy should be a higher priority than promoting sovereignty.

Also I was thinking of adding some philosophical debates. Perhaps the debate of determinism vs. free will. Any other ideas for topics?

No! Not this topic lol plz.

Anyway I think opening the topic up to the judges would be a good idea. It should be something that the judges feel could go either way and not have too much of a prior opinion about.
President of DDO
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 3:28:19 PM
At 2/25/2010 7:46:14 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/23/2010 8:33:02 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I'd like to be a judge.

Of course :p

Why don't you actually debate, PoeJoe?

I don't have as much time do be on here as I did...say, a year ago. I'm really busy.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 7:28:37 PM
Competitors:

1. wjmelemets
2. Korashk
3. alto2osu
4. TheSkeptic
5. mongeese
6. BellumQuodPacis
7. HiOedipus

Judges:

1. Johnicle
2. OreEle
3. PoeJoe
4. birdpiercefan3334
5. SportsGuru

Either/maybe:

1. omelet
2. TheLwerd

=============================

Well right now I have plenty of judges. Hopefully more competitors will sign up. Current judges, let me know if you will be a competitor if it comes down to it, b/c I simply don't need 5 judges for 7 competitors. I probably need 1 judge for every 4-6 competitors.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 11:42:41 AM
At 2/25/2010 12:00:45 PM, Johnicle wrote:

I think that a paperless school program debate is actually very topical and not particularly biased. I've had my students debate that in practice rounds on a number of occasions, and there's plenty of ground for both sides.

I would suggest a violent revolutions topic instead of your immoral means topic. Something like "Violent revolution is justified when a government has failed to enforce the law" or something.

I am also a fan of getting rid of the determinism vs. free will topic. It's a bit of a dead horse around here :)

I will try to think of some more, but I warn you now I'll be biased in favor of LDV resolutions-- I really like debating constitutional law and theory and the like. I was a huge fan of the hate crime enhancement resolution, the eminent domain resolution, and the judicial activism resolution.
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 8:24:30 PM
Competitor sign-ups will cease Thursday March 4th, at 5:00 p.m. Central time.

Round 1 will be posted soon after.
Round 2 will be posted Thursday March 11th.

After these 2 rounds, the tournament will be on a tentative schedule.

Stay posted for updates!
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 8:26:51 PM
Sorry for the double post... however, I will more than likely be making small adjustments since the numbers are so low. Either way, I'll let you know what you have to do at the time of the first posting.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2010 11:37:31 AM
Hmmm...put me as a maybe. I really shouldn't be devoting even more time to DDO, though I may be in the region of judging.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2010 8:10:39 PM
Here are some more topic ideas. Let me know what you think.

-Resolved: Secondary education ought to be a privilege, not a right.
-Resolved: Laws which protect citizens from themselves are justified.
-Resolved: The merger between Ticketmaster and and Live Nation should be prevented.