Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Raising the bar....

mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 10:23:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am new to the site, but I read a lot on here and see how people interact on here. One thing that disturbs me a little is how much foul language and disrespect is on here. As a group of intelligent, good-hearted, debaters, surely we can do better than this. I'm not forcing my opinions on anyone, I am just making a request. Do you think that we can raise the bar of what is appropriate and keep discussions on a theoretical level without attacking the person? Is it possible to disagree with grace?

We may not think highly of the person's arguments, but can we at least attempt to show respect for the person?

What do you think? Is it time to raise the bar?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 10:38:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Of course it is possible to disagree civilly.
Does it happen? Tons of times.

Forums are not debates per se, and people shoot from the hip, especially when emotions get involved.
Plus, some people just plain don't like some other people on this site.

Plus, if you are new, you should know we have a bit of a troll problem here, so tread carefully.
My work here is, finally, done.
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 10:39:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
We actually tried to not very long ago, which resulted in a lot of protests and members leaving.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Romanii
Posts: 4,851
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 10:39:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/11/2014 10:23:59 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
I am new to the site, but I read a lot on here and see how people interact on here. One thing that disturbs me a little is how much foul language and disrespect is on here. As a group of intelligent, good-hearted, debaters, surely we can do better than this. I'm not forcing my opinions on anyone, I am just making a request. Do you think that we can raise the bar of what is appropriate and keep discussions on a theoretical level without attacking the person? Is it possible to disagree with grace?

We may not think highly of the person's arguments, but can we at least attempt to show respect for the person?

What do you think? Is it time to raise the bar?

Airmax tried raising the bar a few months ago.... it didn't really work out... and I doubt it ever will, no matter how much I agree with you.
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 10:45:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/11/2014 10:39:49 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 7/11/2014 10:23:59 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
I am new to the site, but I read a lot on here and see how people interact on here. One thing that disturbs me a little is how much foul language and disrespect is on here. As a group of intelligent, good-hearted, debaters, surely we can do better than this. I'm not forcing my opinions on anyone, I am just making a request. Do you think that we can raise the bar of what is appropriate and keep discussions on a theoretical level without attacking the person? Is it possible to disagree with grace?

We may not think highly of the person's arguments, but can we at least attempt to show respect for the person?

What do you think? Is it time to raise the bar?

Airmax tried raising the bar a few months ago.... it didn't really work out... and I doubt it ever will, no matter how much I agree with you.

I'm not necessarily saying that we should change other people, but that those of us who want to raise it should be respectful at all times despite the actions of other people. I also just wanted to make people be aware of what is going on. We want to set an example of how intelligent people act to the newer members. That's all.

Thank you for your input.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 10:46:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/11/2014 10:39:01 PM, Ragnar wrote:
We actually tried to not very long ago, which resulted in a lot of protests and members leaving.
But I don't think they would object if we do not judge but merely set an example by keeping our emotions in check.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:32:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why does foul language preclude logical rational discussion? Like, examine the following two examples:

Example one -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C."

Example two -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C, you dumba**."

Careful investigation will note that the only difference between the two examples is the cursing, but the actual logical discussion is present in both. The addition of the "foul language" didn't change that.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:35:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2014 3:32:36 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Why does foul language preclude logical rational discussion? Like, examine the following two examples:

Example one -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C."

Example two -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C, you dumba**."

Careful investigation will note that the only difference between the two examples is the cursing, but the actual logical discussion is present in both. The addition of the "foul language" didn't change that.

shut up dumbass
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 6:54:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
swearing makes it mean...
there's a big difference in between....
"In conclusion, vote con!"
and
"In f*cking conclusion, you dumba**es should vote f*cking con!"
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 7:53:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2014 6:54:11 AM, 9spaceking wrote:
swearing makes it mean...
there's a big difference in between....
"In conclusion, vote con!"
and
"In f*cking conclusion, you dumba**es should vote f*cking con!"

I like the 2nd one better and is usually what I actually feel like saying when the debate is over, and when somebody votes pro I can just point them to that sentence so they can see the mistake in their RFD.
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 8:00:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2014 7:53:14 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/12/2014 6:54:11 AM, 9spaceking wrote:
swearing makes it mean...
there's a big difference in between....
"In conclusion, vote con!"
and
"In f*cking conclusion, you dumba**es should vote f*cking con!"

I like the 2nd one better and is usually what I actually feel like saying when the debate is over, and when somebody votes pro I can just point them to that sentence so they can see the mistake in their RFD.
lollllll
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 8:14:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/11/2014 10:23:59 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
I am new to the site, but I read a lot on here and see how people interact on here. One thing that disturbs me a little is how much foul language and disrespect is on here. As a group of intelligent, good-hearted, debaters, surely we can do better than this. I'm not forcing my opinions on anyone, I am just making a request. Do you think that we can raise the bar of what is appropriate and keep discussions on a theoretical level without attacking the person? Is it possible to disagree with grace?

We may not think highly of the person's arguments, but can we at least attempt to show respect for the person?

What do you think? Is it time to raise the bar?

As a member who's been here a bit, I can tell you, that no matter what you say or do; people will still talk and act the same. Surely though, as an individual though, you can definitely make an impact on people to the point of them respecting you enough to not want to talk in that fashion around you though. It's quite possible.

The best way for you or anyone who wants to be an impact is to make yourself available and just be there for others but also be civilly firm. And never be afraid to speak what you know to be true. Unfortunately, on this site the saying, "you get respect when you've earned it" is true... But I tell you give respect and never expect it, that's how I've had my mind set. People will notice, not because you want them to notice but because you know it's right and worth it for the sake of your beliefs and for the sake of others.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 8:32:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2014 3:35:00 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 7/12/2014 3:32:36 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Why does foul language preclude logical rational discussion? Like, examine the following two examples:

Example one -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C."

Example two -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C, you dumba**."

Careful investigation will note that the only difference between the two examples is the cursing, but the actual logical discussion is present in both. The addition of the "foul language" didn't change that.

shut up dumbass
My work here is, finally, done.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 9:48:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2014 3:32:36 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Why does foul language preclude logical rational discussion? Like, examine the following two examples:

Example one -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C."

Example two -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C, you dumba**."

Careful investigation will note that the only difference between the two examples is the cursing, but the actual logical discussion is present in both. The addition of the "foul language" didn't change that.

Lol have you ever been in this subreddit? I feel like it's your thing. http://www.reddit.com...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 10:14:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2014 3:35:00 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 7/12/2014 3:32:36 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Why does foul language preclude logical rational discussion? Like, examine the following two examples:

Example one -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C."

Example two -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C, you dumba**."

Careful investigation will note that the only difference between the two examples is the cursing, but the actual logical discussion is present in both. The addition of the "foul language" didn't change that.

shut up dumbass

But I'm right dipsh*t
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 10:16:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2014 9:48:31 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 7/12/2014 3:32:36 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Why does foul language preclude logical rational discussion? Like, examine the following two examples:

Example one -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C."

Example two -

Person 1: "X is true."
Person 2: "X is false because A, B, and C, you dumba**."

Careful investigation will note that the only difference between the two examples is the cursing, but the actual logical discussion is present in both. The addition of the "foul language" didn't change that.

Lol have you ever been in this subreddit? I feel like it's your thing. http://www.reddit.com...

No I haven't but it looks epic from the front page. Thank you bb <3
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 10:45:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
blah
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 10:48:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2014 8:14:23 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 7/11/2014 10:23:59 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
I am new to the site, but I read a lot on here and see how people interact on here. One thing that disturbs me a little is how much foul language and disrespect is on here. As a group of intelligent, good-hearted, debaters, surely we can do better than this. I'm not forcing my opinions on anyone, I am just making a request. Do you think that we can raise the bar of what is appropriate and keep discussions on a theoretical level without attacking the person? Is it possible to disagree with grace?

We may not think highly of the person's arguments, but can we at least attempt to show respect for the person?

What do you think? Is it time to raise the bar?

As a member who's been here a bit, I can tell you, that no matter what you say or do; people will still talk and act the same. Surely though, as an individual though, you can definitely make an impact on people to the point of them respecting you enough to not want to talk in that fashion around you though. It's quite possible.

The best way for you or anyone who wants to be an impact is to make yourself available and just be there for others but also be civilly firm. And never be afraid to speak what you know to be true. Unfortunately, on this site the saying, "you get respect when you've earned it" is true... But I tell you give respect and never expect it, that's how I've had my mind set. People will notice, not because you want them to notice but because you know it's right and worth it for the sake of your beliefs and for the sake of others.

Thanks for the advice!
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 11:03:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2014 10:48:42 AM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 7/12/2014 8:14:23 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 7/11/2014 10:23:59 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
I am new to the site, but I read a lot on here and see how people interact on here. One thing that disturbs me a little is how much foul language and disrespect is on here. As a group of intelligent, good-hearted, debaters, surely we can do better than this. I'm not forcing my opinions on anyone, I am just making a request. Do you think that we can raise the bar of what is appropriate and keep discussions on a theoretical level without attacking the person? Is it possible to disagree with grace?

We may not think highly of the person's arguments, but can we at least attempt to show respect for the person?

What do you think? Is it time to raise the bar?

As a member who's been here a bit, I can tell you, that no matter what you say or do; people will still talk and act the same. Surely though, as an individual though, you can definitely make an impact on people to the point of them respecting you enough to not want to talk in that fashion around you though. It's quite possible.

The best way for you or anyone who wants to be an impact is to make yourself available and just be there for others but also be civilly firm. And never be afraid to speak what you know to be true. Unfortunately, on this site the saying, "you get respect when you've earned it" is true... But I tell you give respect and never expect it, that's how I've had my mind set. People will notice, not because you want them to notice but because you know it's right and worth it for the sake of your beliefs and for the sake of others.

Thanks for the advice!
No problem ma :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad