Jump to topic:

Adopt a Regular Tournament

JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 2:18:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Indeed, this is piggy-backing off bladerunner's and bsh's idea of "Adopt a Noob," but I think we could benefit from broadening the criteria a bit. The closest analogy I could provide is that this would essentially be a team tournament: people will sign up as debaters and as coaches, and take turns either mentoring or being mentored. Different point values will be awarded depending on whether the coach or his mentee end up winning.

Criteria for Entry:

Nothing, but bear in mind that coaching will, in a perfect world, involve higher ELO debaters coaching lower ELO debaters. This may not work in practice, since we can't count on there being a tie for the lowest ELO in the tournament, so when the time comes, we'll work through that.

Procedure

This will be double-elimination. After losing, the debater will enter a second bracket for a second chance, this time against another person who has lost. The winner will return to the main bracket, whilst the loser will be eliminated. No such rule will apply to losing coaches -- they simply won't receive any points if their student loses.

Obviously the winner will be the person with the most points. If there ends up being a tie, the TO -- me -- will come up some tiebreaking procedure in consultation with the individuals.

Winning a debate in the main bracket -- 2 points
Tying a debate in the main bracket -- 1 point
Losing a debate in the main bracket -- 0 points

Coaching a winning debater in the main bracket -- 2 points
Coaching a tying debater in the main bracket -- 1 point
Coaching a losing debater in the main bracket -- 0 points

Winning a debate in the consolation bracket -- 1 point, and reentry into main bracket
Losing a debate in the consolation bracket -- elimination from tournament

Coaching a winning debater in the consolation bracket -- 2 points
Coaching a losing debater in the consolation bracket -- 0 points

Voting

This will most likely be left to the discretion of the participants, but I'd take judge signups, as well, if anyone is interested.

Sign-ups

---
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 2:24:30 PM
At 7/15/2014 2:20:11 PM, YYW wrote:
So, who do you want to coach for this?

The intention is for everyone to take turns coaching and being coached, with the coach preferably being someone of a higher ELO. In a sense, it's less coaching than it is a rotating series of team debates.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 2:27:29 PM
At 7/15/2014 2:24:30 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:

The intention is for everyone to take turns coaching and being coached, with the coach preferably being someone of a higher ELO. In a sense, it's less coaching than it is a rotating series of team debates.

You mentioned that in your OP. I wasn't asking about criteria. I was asking about specific members, hence my use of the word "who" rather than "what kind of members."
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 2:30:55 PM
At 7/15/2014 2:27:29 PM, YYW wrote:

You mentioned that in your OP. I wasn't asking about criteria. I was asking about specific members, hence my use of the word "who" rather than "what kind of members."

Oh, my apologies. I didn't have anyone in mind specifically, particularly because I know people are busy and there are several other tournaments going on. So, I guess anyone who wants to sign up, lol.

BTW, you and bsh would make an awesome team haha.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 2:39:23 PM
At 7/15/2014 2:30:55 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:

Oh, my apologies. I didn't have anyone in mind specifically, particularly because I know people are busy and there are several other tournaments going on. So, I guess anyone who wants to sign up, lol.

lol, and in your mind who would be coaching who?
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 2:42:56 PM
At 7/15/2014 2:39:23 PM, YYW wrote:

Well, bsh has a higher ELO, so judging by standard protocol, he'd be coaching you. That doesn't speak to debating skill necessarily because I think you're both great, lol.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 2:44:36 PM
At 7/15/2014 2:42:56 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:

Well, bsh has a higher ELO, so judging by standard protocol, he'd be coaching you. That doesn't speak to debating skill necessarily because I think you're both great, lol.

http://www.debate.org...
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 2:48:19 PM
At 7/15/2014 2:44:36 PM, YYW wrote:

http://www.debate.org...

Oh, ok. You should definitely debate more haha.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 2:49:20 PM

Generally speaking, members with higher ELO's can be better debaters than those with lower ELO's, but not always. I just don't debate much anymore, but when I do... it's typically against people with much higher ELO's than I have and I almost always win. My issue is finding topics that interest me enough to debate.

The reason I take issue with that standard is that ELO alone is insufficient to evaluate skill, and it's equally insufficient to evaluate coaching ability. What ELO tells us is how many times a debater has debated, and in a very general sense how often that user wins or loses... which is why I asked you "who" you wanted to coach this... to evaluate how much thought you'd put into this tournament.
JohnMaynardKeynes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 2:53:18 PM
At 7/15/2014 2:49:20 PM, YYW wrote:

Generally speaking, members with higher ELO's can be better debaters than those with lower ELO's, but not always. I just don't debate much anymore, but when I do... it's typically against people with much higher ELO's than I have and I almost always win. My issue is finding topics that interest me enough to debate.

The reason I take issue with that standard is that ELO alone is insufficient to evaluate skill, and it's equally insufficient to evaluate coaching ability. What ELO tells us is how many times a debater has debated, and in a very general sense how often that user wins or loses... which is why I asked you "who" you wanted to coach this... to evaluate how much thought you'd put into this tournament.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I'd be lying if I said that I devised this tournament on anything other than a whim, and was more interested at the time at getting it going and working out the details later. To me, the only objective criterion for determining coaching was ELO; otherwise, we'd get into subjective discussions about skill and so forth -- and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be offended.

Perhaps I could change the tournament slightly so people would sign up either as a coach or as a debater. It could even be possible to request a mentor or mentee or to sign up as a team. Any thoughts on something like that?
~JohnMaynardKeynes

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 2:57:00 PM
At 7/15/2014 2:53:18 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 7/15/2014 2:49:20 PM, YYW wrote:

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I'd be lying if I said that I devised this tournament on anything other than a whim, and was more interested at the time at getting it going and working out the details later. To me, the only objective criterion for determining coaching was ELO; otherwise, we'd get into subjective discussions about skill and so forth -- and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be offended.

I'm not offended, just kind of amused. It should also be noted that ELO does not distinguish between, for example, a debate about international intervention and a rap battle. That's not to say that rap battles aren't fun and worthwhile things to do, but getting a really high ELO is easy to do. Doing that just doesn't interest me. I'd rather spend my time in the forums.

Perhaps I could change the tournament slightly so people would sign up either as a coach or as a debater. It could even be possible to request a mentor or mentee or to sign up as a team. Any thoughts on something like that?

I think that you should have people sign up and have them sign up with a coach in mind. As in Bsh's noob tournament, I wasn't especially keen on coaching for political reasons -but this is a bit different. However, I'd much rather just judge because I'm not sure that I can commit the time to do due diligence as a coach or a debater.
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:11:13 PM
I would like to be coached by someone.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:20:01 PM
At 7/15/2014 3:11:13 PM, CJKAllstar wrote:

I think that Bsh1, Wylted, Thett, Whiteflame, Bladerunner or Bluesteel would be excellent choices, to that end.
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:33:59 PM

CJK, I would be honoured to coach you....
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:34:40 PM
At 7/15/2014 3:33:59 PM, NiamC wrote:

Ha, that's hilarious...
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:36:25 PM

Cus im totally OP and good at debating.... plus im super sugoi and kawaii.
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:39:17 PM
At 7/15/2014 3:34:40 PM, CJKAllstar wrote:

Ha, that's hilarious...

I'd do it, if you wanted.
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:39:41 PM
At 7/15/2014 3:36:25 PM, NiamC wrote:

Cus im totally OP and good at debating.... plus im super sugoi and kawaii.
http://rs385.pbsrc.com...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:44:23 PM
At 7/15/2014 3:20:01 PM, YYW wrote:

I think that Bsh1, Wylted, Thett, Whiteflame, Bladerunner or Bluesteel would be excellent choices, to that end.

Thanks, I would say it's humbling to have my name, put alonsode theirs. In all honesty it makes me more cocky and arrogant.

I'm just kidding, thanks for doing that. I'll take on, anybody that reaches out to me. Both inside of and outside of that tournament.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:46:22 PM
At 7/15/2014 3:44:23 PM, Wylted wrote:

Thanks, I would say it's humbling to have my name, put alonsode theirs. In all honesty it makes me more cocky and arrogant.

I'm just kidding, thanks for doing that. I'll take on, anybody that reaches out to me. Both inside of and outside of that tournament.

Well, I suppose a compliment is implied there, but it shouldn't really come as a surprise to you. You're an excellent debater. That's why I listed your name.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:50:14 PM
At 7/15/2014 3:44:23 PM, Wylted wrote:

Seconded. I'm both humbled (I'm humbler than Wylted, though!) and I'm happy to take on anyone that reaches out to me.
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:50:20 PM
At 7/15/2014 2:18:54 PM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
Indeed, this is piggy-backing off bladerunner's and bsh's idea of "Adopt a Noob," but I think we could benefit from broadening the criteria a bit. The closest analogy I could provide is that this would essentially be a team tournament: people will sign up as debaters and as coaches, and take turns either mentoring or being mentored. Different point values will be awarded depending on whether the coach or his mentee end up winning.

Criteria for Entry:

Nothing, but bear in mind that coaching will, in a perfect world, involve higher ELO debaters coaching lower ELO debaters. This may not work in practice, since we can't count on there being a tie for the lowest ELO in the tournament, so when the time comes, we'll work through that.

Procedure

This will be double-elimination. After losing, the debater will enter a second bracket for a second chance, this time against another person who has lost. The winner will return to the main bracket, whilst the loser will be eliminated. No such rule will apply to losing coaches -- they simply won't receive any points if their student loses.

Obviously the winner will be the person with the most points. If there ends up being a tie, the TO -- me -- will come up some tiebreaking procedure in consultation with the individuals.

Winning a debate in the main bracket -- 2 points
Tying a debate in the main bracket -- 1 point
Losing a debate in the main bracket -- 0 points

Coaching a winning debater in the main bracket -- 2 points
Coaching a tying debater in the main bracket -- 1 point
Coaching a losing debater in the main bracket -- 0 points

Winning a debate in the consolation bracket -- 1 point, and reentry into main bracket
Losing a debate in the consolation bracket -- elimination from tournament

Coaching a winning debater in the consolation bracket -- 2 points
Coaching a losing debater in the consolation bracket -- 0 points

Voting

This will most likely be left to the discretion of the participants, but I'd take judge signups, as well, if anyone is interested.

Sign-ups

--- NiamC

I dont know where to sign up lol, so I will do it here. I usually am unbiased and open minded when coming to vote on a debate. I think that I am able to produce good RFDs.
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:55:29 PM
At 7/15/2014 3:53:02 PM, alex_heat wrote:
I'll coach all you n00bz.

Oi!!! Get out.... lol
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 4:06:50 PM
Oooh. whiteflame or Wylted. I did not ever want to have to make this choice...
alex_heat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 4:10:33 PM
I'll teach all you n00bz the basics. I won't be in the tournament since it would be an EZ win for me.
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 4:14:12 PM
At 7/15/2014 4:06:50 PM, CJKAllstar wrote:

Coinflip is always the best decider in a situation like this...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 4:15:14 PM
At 7/15/2014 4:14:12 PM, NiamC wrote:
At 7/15/2014 4:06:50 PM, CJKAllstar wrote:

Coinflip is always the best decider in a situation like this...

[FF0000] test
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~