Jump to topic:

Technically, THERE ARE NO VOTE BOMBS!

Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 12:06:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Vote bombing is unfair or unfounded voting. Voters can vote on any debate they want, for who they want, and why they want. The outcome of the debate doesn't matter because it has NOTHING to do with reality so any and all voting is perfectly ethical!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 2:09:10 PM
You're right. From now on, I'm going to vote you down on all of your debates with the following RFD:

"This guy is a Christian and, as we all know, Christians can't debate."
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 2:58:24 PM
At 7/17/2014 12:06:27 PM, Loveshismom wrote:
Vote bombing is unfair or unfounded voting. Voters can vote on any debate they want, for who they want, and why they want. The outcome of the debate doesn't matter because it has NOTHING to do with reality so any and all voting is perfectly ethical!

No they can't do it for "why they want". Stop bombing debates, and please start voting fairly.
Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 4:39:57 PM
At 7/17/2014 2:09:10 PM, thett3 wrote:
You're right. From now on, I'm going to vote you down on all of your debates with the following RFD:

That wouldn't be a vote bomb but it would be offensive and biased.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 4:59:24 PM
Vote bombing is unfair or unfounded voting.

Let's underline this right here.

Voters can vote on any debate they want, for who they want, and why they want. The outcome of the debate doesn't matter because it has NOTHING to do with reality so any and all voting is perfectly ethical!

So...

Unfair voting = perfectly ethical.

P1: Things that don't correspond with reality do not require morals from things in reality (tried to spice this up a little bit to make it sound more right).
P2: Debates don't correspond with reality (I was stuck on improving this one, seeing as it's not true).
C: Vote bombing is ethical.

I'm not really seeing how this all holds up.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 5:00:53 PM
At 7/17/2014 4:59:24 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

Voters can vote on any debate they want, for who they want, and why they want. The outcome of the debate doesn't matter because it has NOTHING to do with reality so any and all voting is perfectly ethical!

So...

P1: Things that don't correspond with reality do not require morals from things in reality (tried to spice this up a little bit to make it sound more right).
P2: Debates don't correspond with reality (I was stuck on improving this one, seeing as it's not true).

And now you see why loveshismom's is such a terrible debater
Equestrian election

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 5:01:58 PM
At 7/17/2014 5:00:53 PM, 9spaceking wrote:

So...

Because he lost to me just now?
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 12:43:57 AM

That stereotype is NOT true, but the RFD is founded an fair I guess as long as I'm allowed to vote against you with an anti-atheist RFD.
Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 12:44:25 AM
At 7/17/2014 2:58:24 PM, Wylted wrote:

No they can't do it for "why they want". Stop bombing debates, and please start voting fairly.

It's just a fuckin debate
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 12:48:21 AM
At 7/23/2014 12:43:57 AM, Loveshismom wrote:

That stereotype is NOT true, but the RFD is founded an fair I guess as long as I'm allowed to vote against you with an anti-atheist RFD.

I'm not an atheist--I am a Christian. Your argument however is false--there are definitely bad/invalid votes, and the fact that you feel the need to argue against me is proof enough, don't you think? Would you like if I voted you down on that RFD?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 12:50:13 AM
Speaking of vote bombs I have never seen something as outrageous as this before:

"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 7:47:00 AM
At 7/23/2014 12:48:21 AM, thett3 wrote:

I'm not an atheist--I am a Christian. Your argument however is false--there are definitely bad/invalid votes, and the fact that you feel the need to argue against me is proof enough, don't you think? Would you like if I voted you down on that RFD?

As long as I could use a sexist RFD to vote against you every time you used that RFD on me.
Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 7:48:25 AM
At 7/23/2014 12:50:13 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Speaking of vote bombs I have never seen something as outrageous as this before:

I didn't find any vote bombs there.
Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 7:50:51 AM

So...

Exactly my point.

Exactly.

It holds up because there isn't going to be a zombie apocalypse just because someone "vote bombed" your debate.
Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 7:52:18 AM
At 7/17/2014 5:00:53 PM, 9spaceking wrote:

So...

Well at least I'm not a Justin Bieber.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 10:31:51 AM
At 7/23/2014 7:48:25 AM, Loveshismom wrote:

Trust me, there are several. You just can't see them. And I hate that no rule that you can create debate and have votes with no RFDs BS. You have to have a reason for voting the way you do to provide intelligent thought to who won or else your just ruining debates.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 11:36:14 AM
At 7/23/2014 12:44:25 AM, Loveshismom wrote:

People put a lot of work in them and for you to treat it as a poll instead of giving thoughtful analysis is BS. You need to have more respect.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 12:07:48 PM

It holds up because there isn't going to be a zombie apocalypse just because someone "vote bombed" your debate.

See, this is my biggest problem with your point. You're justifying your disregard for the importance of an RFD in any way stating analysis of what happened in the debate on the basis that it doesn't matter to you. Maybe you don't think it's important, but many of the rest of us do. Sure, it's not going to be a world-ending catastrophe, but some people like to know that those who judge them take the time to judge them fairly. Anyone who vote bombs a debate is effectively treating the arguments like garbage, and since many debaters actually take the time to produce cogent arguments with a lot of support over long periods of time, that makes them feel like garbage. The fact that you don't seem to care about that mistreatment doesn't mean the rest of us should be subjected to it.

As long as I could use a sexist RFD to vote against you every time you used that RFD on me.

I love how this works. So you're fine with vote bombs so long as you get to reciprocate on other debates? That really makes no sense at all. You're fine with other people using RFDs that blatantly disregard the arguments and attack you personally, on the basis that you can then treat that person and their arguments like garbage when they complete a debate. Ignoring the fact that that's just tit-for-tat insults, there's no reason to believe that he would ever allow you to vote on his debate, especially considering he could now set the ELO limit high enough to exclude you. That shouldn't be necessary, since you should be willing to provide a logical basis for your vote, but since you seem to be fine with an insult war, I guess that is out of the question.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 12:26:12 PM
At 7/23/2014 7:47:00 AM, Loveshismom wrote:

Doesn't the fact that you'd feel the need to retaliate, as if I'd wronged you, should I leave such an RFD prove that there *are* bad RFDs? Why would you *want* to vote me down on a similarly poorly reasoned RFD if not to get back at me for doing the same to you?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 8:44:27 PM
At 7/23/2014 12:26:12 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 7/23/2014 7:47:00 AM, Loveshismom wrote:

Doesn't the fact that you'd feel the need to retaliate, as if I'd wronged you, should I leave such an RFD prove that there *are* bad RFDs? Why would you *want* to vote me down on a similarly poorly reasoned RFD if not to get back at me for doing the same to you?

I wouldn't do it unless you vote gunned me. If you didn't let me bite on yours it wouldn't become vote bombing until then.
Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 8:53:34 PM
At 7/23/2014 12:07:48 PM, whiteflame wrote:

See, this is my biggest problem with your point. You're justifying your disregard for the importance of an RFD in any way stating analysis of what happened in the debate on the basis that it doesn't matter to you. Maybe you don't think it's important, but many of the rest of us do. Sure, it's not going to be a world-ending catastrophe, but some people like to know that those who judge them take the time to judge them fairly. Anyone who vote bombs a debate is effectively treating the arguments like garbage, and since many debaters actually take the time to produce cogent arguments with a lot of support over long periods of time, that makes them feel like garbage. The fact that you don't seem to care about that mistreatment doesn't mean the rest of us should be subjected to it.

I love how this works. So you're fine with vote bombs so long as you get to reciprocate on other debates?

They don't become vote bombs until I'm not allowed to do that. Until then, it's vote gunning.

You're fine with other people using RFDs that blatantly disregard the arguments and attack you personally, on the basis that you can then treat that person and their arguments like garbage when they complete a debate.

Only once for each time they vote gun my debate.

Ignoring the fact that that's just tit-for-tat insults, there's no reason to believe that he would ever allow you to vote on his debate, especially considering he could now set the ELO limit high enough to exclude you.

Then I could do the same with him.

That shouldn't be necessary, since you should be willing to provide a logical basis for your vote, but since you seem to be fine with an insult war, I guess that is out of the question.

I DO NOT support insult wars. I support freedom of speech and vote RFDs. I could just message them and say I don't want any moar of this vote gunning or leave a comment on the debate saying "hey let's stop all this vote gunning."
Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 9:30:45 PM
At 7/23/2014 11:36:14 AM, Wylted wrote:

People put a lot of work in them and for you to treat it as a poll instead of giving thoughtful analysis is BS. You need to have more respect.

Well they need to check they're priorities at the door and debating isn't about who wins or loses. It's about having fun.
Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 9:31:43 PM

Well they need to check their priorities at the door and debating isn't about who wins or loses. It's about having fun. Voting for one person and not the other isn't automatically disrespectful.
Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 9:33:40 PM
At 7/23/2014 10:31:51 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:

Trust me, there are several. You just can't see them. And I hate that no rule that you can create debate and have votes with no RFDs BS. You have to have a reason for voting the way you do to provide intelligent thought to who won or else your just ruining debates.

Winning doesn't matter the debate doesn't influence reality there's a reason for every vote.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 9:34:11 PM
At 7/23/2014 9:30:45 PM, Loveshismom wrote:

Well they need to check they're priorities at the door and debating isn't about who wins or loses. It's about having fun.

How can you have fun if it's not being judged fairly and people like you are acting like it's a poll.

If you lack the intellectual capacity to be an impartial judge. I kindly ask you to refrain.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 9:36:20 PM
At 7/23/2014 9:33:40 PM, Loveshismom wrote:

Winning doesn't matter the debate doesn't influence reality there's a reason for every vote.

The debate can influence reality. It's possible your debate will be read by a future or current policy maker.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 9:37:15 PM
At 7/23/2014 9:36:20 PM, Wylted wrote:

The debate can influence reality. It's possible your debate will be read by a future or current policy maker.

I just clicked on the OP's profile and realized that I disagree with him on every one of the big issues. I don't think that's ever happened before.
Tsar of DDO
Loveshismom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 9:37:52 PM

I meant just because you win a debate doesn't mean your stance is true.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 9:38:23 PM
At 7/23/2014 9:37:15 PM, YYW wrote:

I just clicked on the OP's profile and realized that I disagree with him on every one of the big issues. I don't think that's ever happened before.

Obviously he's wrong about everything, if that's the case.