Jump to topic:

Once Upon a DDO Episode 16

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 8:03:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Episode 15 can be found here: http://www.debate.org...

16 Years Earlier

The moon drooped in the night sky like a swollen fruit. It could have been a serene image had the sky been any shade other than crimson, forever tainted by the blood spilt in the Rune Wars. The smoke swirling up from the fires stank of death and decay. It was a miracle the moon could be seen at all, a queen of light slowly being devoured by darkness.

CP hoped for a second miracle.

He wasn't generally a man given to faith. But when it came to the fate of his son, CP was willing to try anything. Even so, he preferred reality.

And that was why he'd made the decision to take Lannan and run.

The captain would be back in the morning. By then, CP and Lannan would be long gone. They might be cursed as cowards for a while, but all who flung the insult would die in the wars. No, not wars. Massacres.

A good soldier knows when to pick his battles.

Lannan blinked sleepily as he watched his father scurry around the house.

"Where are we going?" He asked for the third time. CP finished zipping up another bag and turned to face Lannan.

"Somewhere. Anywhere. Away from here."

"But why?"

CP turned and made another sweep of the cabin. He had all the essentials. Nothing he could do about the bits of furniture.

"Father, I don't want to go," Lannan said. "I want to fight."

CP slowly lowered his head. His son had always been an intelligent one. "I've told you, Lannan. It's not a fight. If you go with them, they will dress you up in a uniform. They'll train you for a while. Maybe you'll even make a few friends during the process. You'll learn to trust your fellow soldiers with your life, after all. So you'll form bonds. You'll become a team. You'll be spoon-fed the rhetoric of nationalism. And then you'll march out to fight the troll hordes. The sun will cook you inside your armor, and the wind that carries the flag of the Kingdom will be your only respite. You'll hear the order. To charge, perhaps, or to stand firm."

"And then you'll die. A spear, an arrow, a sword, a mace, if you're lucky enough for it to be quick. But you will die, and the last thing you see will be the flag of the Kingdom falling into the blood of your countrymen."

Lannan didn't say anything for a moment. CP turned away and wiped at his eyes. Lannan didn't move, but when he spoke, it was with the voice of one who was far away.

"You're a coward."

CP didn't answer. Instead he grabbed the last bag, seized Lannan's arm, and began dragging him from the house. Lannan didn't protest at first. Then he began struggling. He was strong for a newly turned 13 year old, but CP was stronger, and he succeeded in dragging Lannan from the house and down the road.

Before they made it another step, the neighs and whinnies of horses shattered the silence, and, as if by magic, a group of soldiers materialized. At their helm was the same captain from before.

"Little late for a stroll with your son," the captain remarked.

CP automatically moved Lannan behind him. His gaze darted down to the bags in his hand while his mind frantically searched for an explanation. But the captain already knew. CP could tell.

"Desertion is treason," the captain said.

"And this war is murder," CP replied.

"It's your son's Birthday, is it not? He's 13 now?"

"Yes, sir!" Lannan chimed in before CP could stop him.

The captain smiled. "And do you share your father's opinion?"

Lannan shook his head. "I want to serve my country."

The captain's smile widened. "Of course you do. Do you know what we call men like your father in the army?"

"Cowards, sir?"

"Enough!" CP thundered. "Lannan, I forbid you to go with this man! You are my son! You will obey me!" He grabbed Lannan's arm and turned to march past the captain when Lannan jerked free.

"No, dad," he said.

CP turned slowly. Lannan stood next to the captain's horse, staring disdainfully at his father.

"I'm going to fight."

"Excellent!" The captain smiled. "Koopin, kindly take young Lannan to our outpost."

"Yes, captain Ore_Ele." The man named Koopin bent down and, with a single movement, lifted Lannan onto his horse. CP stepped forward, but Ore_Ele backhanded him across the face, forcing him to stumble backward. Koopin and Lannan rode off into the night.

A ball of fire appeared in Ore_Ele's hand. He glanced coldly down at CP. "Such is the fate of all traitors."

The fireball sprang from Ore_Ele's grip. CP ducked, but the fire soared over his head and crashed into his house. For about five seconds, it sat there. Then, faster than was physically possible, it spread across the roof.

Ore_Ele and CP made eye contact. CP could see the flames reflected in Ore_Ele's black pupils. He wished more than anything, save for saving his son, that, at that moment, he had a weapon capable of striking the captain dead.

"Your son will do what you could not," Ore_Ele, and he lifted his hand. Something smashed into CP's chest and tossed him back into the burning house. The flames crackled like Ore_Ele's laughter as the captain turned and disappeared into the dark night.

Present Day

Daytona glanced up from his seat at the table as Zaradi entered the room. Zaradi offered him a neutral smile as he closed the door.

"I apologize for the wait," Zaradi said. "Shall we begin?"

Daytona sat back. "I'd like that."

"Excellent." Zaradi sat opposite him. "We have mutual interests. We would like to see you installed as the next President."

"Of DDO?"

Zaradi mastered the sarcastic reply before it could escape him. "Naturally."

"I'd like to see that as well. But there's a giant problem named Mikal."

"You'll have to defeat him in the election."

"Defeat him?" Daytona raised an eyebrow. "Can't you just arrange an accident? Like you did with TUF?"

Zaradi's eyes flashed. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Daytona nodded. "Fine, then. How do I compete with Mikal?"

"He's hardly popular," Zaradi mused. "Not after bringing in Lannan and the other special forces. He's proving us right about the Evil Queen."

"Airmax?"

"The Evil Queen," Zaradi stressed. "Names are humanizing, and that's not something liberty can afford."

"Alright." Daytona leaned forward. "So who's my running mate? Another revolutionary?"

"No," Zaradi shook his head. "We need someone respected. Someone well-liked. Someone nobody could possibly object to."

Daytona frowned as his mind sprinted. Thett? YYW? Izbo? Okay, not Izbo.

"Bookworm?"

"No. We have other plans for her. But you're on the right track."

Daytona's eyes widened. "You don't mean -?"

"Yes." This time, Zaradi's smile was genuine. "GCL will be your running mate."

"We literally just landed kbub in prison," Romanii whispered furiously. "Now we're trying to break her out?"

"You saw what Ore_Ele did to Linkish," SeventhProfessor reminded him. "Does that look like something heroes do?"

"Yes, but, a prison-break? How could we possibly do that?"

"I DON'T KNOW!" SeventhProfessor roared. Romanii's face crumpled, and Seventh instantly regretted her loss of temper. "Oh, Romanii, I'm sorry. I didn't mean -"

"I know," Romanii said. He looked up, smiling. "We're just tired is all. I haven't gotten any sleep, you know."

His words fell on SeventhProfessor like a brick. "You're right," she said. "We've been up all night."

"Besides," Romanii whispered, now looking eager, "don't prison-breaks happen at night? We can sleep now and bust kbub out later!"

"We'll need a plan first," Seventh said, but Romanii's enthusiasm was infecting her. Talking with him, working to free kbub...it just felt right somehow. Seventh couldn't explain why, not even to herself. She just knew it was the right thing to do.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 8:03:51 PM
"Sounds like a plan to me." SeventhProfessor smiled. "My house is closer. Let's go there."

Romanii and Seventh turned to cross the Philosopher's Bridge and return home when they noticed the figure observing them.

"You know," Bookworm called out casually, "you should be careful what you talk about in public. You never know who might be listening."

Romanii moved slightly in front of SeventhProfessor. "Whatever you think you heard, Bookworm -"

"A prison-break?" Romanii and SeventhProfessor stopped dead. Bookworm smiled. "Yes, I heard everything."

Romanii tensed. She was a few feet away, but maybe if he hurried, he could knock her out or something. But what then? Could he even do that? He wasn't a violent person.

Bookworm held out her hand. "Count me in."

SeventhProfessor and Romanii traded glances.

"Why should we trust you?" Seventh demanded.

Bookworm tilted her head. "I killed Jifpop."

"Good enough for me," Romanii said. Seventh nodded.

"Alright then. Let's do this!'

So engrossed in conversation were the trio that none of them noticed Jonbonbon observing them from a building alongside the bridge.

9 Weeks Earlier

Royal stood in the doorway of the bedroom and watched Thett. He looked so peaceful in sleep. She hated to disturb him now. Especially with what she had to say.

"Thett," she crooned. No response. Royal inched further into the room, calling his name with all the sweetness of a summer breeze. On the third call, Thett stirred. He blinked sleepily.

"Royal? Wuzgoinon?"

Royal sat at the foot of the bed. "Thett, dear, we need to talk."

Thett propped himself up on his elbows. "You can always talk to me."

"I know." Royal searched for a kind way to say what needed saying. She couldn't think of anything. There was nothing kind about what she was about to. "But I won't."

Thett blinked again, this time in confusion. "What does that mean?"

"You won't be there," Royal swallowed, "for me to talk to." She folded her arms over her stomach and hated the hot tears creeping into her eyes. "You won't be there because I'm leaving." She felt a sudden urge to throw up, but she pushed it back.

Thett's face crumpled. It was as though, in the span of seconds, he went from being a free man to becoming Atlas. He looked at her with a sadness that couldn't be expressed.

"Why?" Thett choked out.

Royal shook her head. "Goodbye, Thett." She rose and ran from the room, ran before Thett could convince her to stay. She burst through the front door and continued running, down the front stairs and out into the city streets. And as her body moved further and further away from her heart, the tears started dripping down her cheeks as though their salty water could fill the Thett-sized void in her chest.

Royal ran and ran and left her heart behind.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 8:16:30 PM
The ending. I cried
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 8:43:12 PM
Lannan! How could you leave your father?!

Thett? YYW? Izbo? Okay, not Izbo.
Hilarious.

Umm... I kinda wanna know what your plans for me are...
(*crosses fingers it's to marry you*)

GCL would be the perfect running mate for Daytona. I can't see her in politics though. XD

SEVANII!!! :D

Funny. Bookworm said to be careful what you talk about in public. And Bonbon was listening. Lol.

Royal is pregnant, isn't she? Or was?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 8:43:41 PM
At 7/18/2014 8:37:37 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 7/18/2014 8:10:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Crap; I missed my chance, didn't I?

Your chance?

To post in between each part you post love.
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 8:44:05 PM
At 7/18/2014 8:16:30 PM, thett3 wrote:
The ending. I cried

*hug*
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 8:51:50 PM
Perfect
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 8:56:22 PM
At 7/18/2014 8:43:12 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Truly tragic.

Hilarious.

I'm not even in my story xD

GCL would be the perfect running mate for Daytona. I can't see her in politics though. XD

Always

Funny. Bookworm said to be careful what you talk about in public. And Bonbon was listening. Lol.

#irony

>:-D
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 8:59:02 PM
At 7/18/2014 8:56:22 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Truly tragic.

*sobs*

Hilarious.

Yet. There's no one I'd rather be with than you. <3

Always

#irony

ikr! xD

Nailed it!
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 9:10:27 PM
At 7/18/2014 8:59:02 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Truly tragic.

*sobs*

Hilarious.

<3 you most

Always

#irony

ikr! xD

But what will Jonbonbon do now?

Nailed it!

Maaaaaayyyyyybbbbbeeee. I'm not saying one way or the other.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 9:14:37 PM
At 7/18/2014 9:10:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 7/18/2014 8:59:02 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Truly tragic.

*sobs*

Hilarious.

<3 you most

<3 you more :*

Always

#irony

ikr! xD

But what will Jonbonbon do now?

Jonelle is a sweetheart so I can't see her betraying us, but knowing you, you always surprise us.

Nailed it!

Maaaaaayyyyyybbbbbeeee. I'm not saying one way or the other.

So nailed it... ;)
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 12:30:07 PM
At 7/25/2014 12:28:01 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
This should be above spam.

Join me in my mission of bumpage >.>