Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

My Opponent plagiarized. What should I do???

NiamC
Posts: 905
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 11:40:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Ok, so I accepted this debate about drug legalisation. I took the stance of being con.
http://www.debate.org...

My opponent's 2nd round argument (his opening arg) was posted in quite short time to posting of my last round. I thought that this was odd because it was such a long argument. I felt suspicious so I decided to check the sources of the text (to check for plagiarism).
And guess what?..........

Everything!!!! absolutely every word was plagiarised by my opponent.

I am currently writing my argument/ response, but I don't know what to say now.

Should I point out that he has plagiarised?
Will my opponent automatically lose the debate, or is plagiarism acceptable?
Should i refuse to present my arguments?
If I dont present my argument, will I still automatically win?

I would really like some advice on this. I really don't know how to respond...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
NiamC
Posts: 905
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 11:48:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 11:42:55 AM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
Call him on it and make him look dumb.

Should I still do my own argument???
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 1,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 11:50:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 11:48:27 AM, NiamC wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:42:55 AM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
Call him on it and make him look dumb.

Should I still do my own argument???

It's quite likely that people are going to award you the win solely because your opponent plagiarized -- I probably would. I think it's up to you: you could post your own arguments and just ignore your opponent's plagiarized ones, and ask him to post his own. Or, you could just call him on the plagiarism and note that it merits a vote for you.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 11:51:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 11:42:55 AM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
Call him on it and make him look dumb.

That's just a stupid response, the proper thing would be to report it and present the evidence.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
NiamC
Posts: 905
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 11:53:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 11:50:29 AM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:48:27 AM, NiamC wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:42:55 AM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
Call him on it and make him look dumb.

Should I still do my own argument???

It's quite likely that people are going to award you the win solely because your opponent plagiarized -- I probably would. I think it's up to you: you could post your own arguments and just ignore your opponent's plagiarized ones, and ask him to post his own. Or, you could just call him on the plagiarism and note that it merits a vote for you.

Good idea, but there would still be another round after, and I don't know what would happen then.
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 1,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 11:55:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 11:53:37 AM, NiamC wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:50:29 AM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:48:27 AM, NiamC wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:42:55 AM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
Call him on it and make him look dumb.

Should I still do my own argument???

It's quite likely that people are going to award you the win solely because your opponent plagiarized -- I probably would. I think it's up to you: you could post your own arguments and just ignore your opponent's plagiarized ones, and ask him to post his own. Or, you could just call him on the plagiarism and note that it merits a vote for you.

Good idea, but there would still be another round after, and I don't know what would happen then.

That would depend on whether you give him a second chance on arguments (obviously you've already won, at the very least, conduct and probably sources). But if you decided not to, you could just say, "Vote for me." A lot of people don't own up to plagiarism and will instead claim it's an error in citations, so a final round would be a good place to point out how foolish that response is, etc.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
NiamC
Posts: 905
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 11:56:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 11:55:23 AM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:53:37 AM, NiamC wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:50:29 AM, JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:48:27 AM, NiamC wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:42:55 AM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
Call him on it and make him look dumb.

Should I still do my own argument???

It's quite likely that people are going to award you the win solely because your opponent plagiarized -- I probably would. I think it's up to you: you could post your own arguments and just ignore your opponent's plagiarized ones, and ask him to post his own. Or, you could just call him on the plagiarism and note that it merits a vote for you.

Good idea, but there would still be another round after, and I don't know what would happen then.

That would depend on whether you give him a second chance on arguments (obviously you've already won, at the very least, conduct and probably sources). But if you decided not to, you could just say, "Vote for me." A lot of people don't own up to plagiarism and will instead claim it's an error in citations, so a final round would be a good place to point out how foolish that response is, etc.

I suppose so. No mercy!!!!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
BblackkBbirdd
Posts: 919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 12:00:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 11:48:27 AM, NiamC wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:42:55 AM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
Call him on it and make him look dumb.

Should I still do my own argument???

Of course
NiamC
Posts: 905
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 12:02:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 12:00:59 PM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:48:27 AM, NiamC wrote:
At 7/19/2014 11:42:55 AM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
Call him on it and make him look dumb.

Should I still do my own argument???

Of course

What if i did it in the last round instead
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
BblackkBbirdd
Posts: 919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 12:04:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Well, then voters would remember that he cheated better than if you called him out in round two and you'd get more points?
NiamC
Posts: 905
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 12:06:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 12:04:32 PM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
Well, then voters would remember that he cheated better than if you called him out in round two and you'd get more points?

I suppose so, better get started :p
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 1,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 12:10:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What's funny is that I'm almost accepted that debate, and was going to argue that over-the-counter crystal meth would be a horrible idea, but it should be decriminalized over legalized.
~JohnMaynardKeynes

"The sight of my succulent backside acts as a sedative for the beholder. It soothes the pain of life and makes all which hurts seem like bliss. I urge all those stressed by ridiculous drama on DDO which will never affect your real life to gaze upon my cheeks for they will make you have an excitement and joy you've never felt before." -- Dr. Dennybug

Founder of the BSH-YYW Fan Club
Founder of the Barkalotti
Stand with Dogs and Economics
Romanii
Posts: 4,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 1:23:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 11:40:25 AM, NiamC wrote:
Ok, so I accepted this debate about drug legalisation. I took the stance of being con.
http://www.debate.org...

My opponent's 2nd round argument (his opening arg) was posted in quite short time to posting of my last round. I thought that this was odd because it was such a long argument. I felt suspicious so I decided to check the sources of the text (to check for plagiarism).
And guess what?..........

Everything!!!! absolutely every word was plagiarised by my opponent.

I am currently writing my argument/ response, but I don't know what to say now.

Should I point out that he has plagiarised?
Will my opponent automatically lose the debate, or is plagiarism acceptable?
Should i refuse to present my arguments?
If I dont present my argument, will I still automatically win?

I would really like some advice on this. I really don't know how to respond...

Do respond as you normally would, but also include a noticeable disclaimer calling out your opponent for plagiarizing.
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,761
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 2:02:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 11:40:25 AM, NiamC wrote:
Ok, so I accepted this debate about drug legalisation. I took the stance of being con.
http://www.debate.org...

My opponent's 2nd round argument (his opening arg) was posted in quite short time to posting of my last round. I thought that this was odd because it was such a long argument. I felt suspicious so I decided to check the sources of the text (to check for plagiarism).
And guess what?..........

Everything!!!! absolutely every word was plagiarised by my opponent.

I am currently writing my argument/ response, but I don't know what to say now.

Should I point out that he has plagiarised?
Will my opponent automatically lose the debate, or is plagiarism acceptable?
Should i refuse to present my arguments?
If I dont present my argument, will I still automatically win?

I would really like some advice on this. I really don't know how to respond...

I'd personally start to troll the debate after pointing out the plagiarism.

But then again, that's me.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,761
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 2:04:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Lol, I didn't even check the debate.

I'm proud of you.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
NiamC
Posts: 905
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 2:16:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 2:04:48 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
Lol, I didn't even check the debate.

I'm proud of you.
Well...thank you?
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,761
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 4:31:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/19/2014 2:16:09 PM, NiamC wrote:
At 7/19/2014 2:04:48 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
Lol, I didn't even check the debate.

I'm proud of you.
Well...thank you?

I mean, I saw what you did. I didn't check before responding the first time.

I guess I didn't say that very well XD
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...