Jump to topic:

Mission to edeb8

LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 10:26:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
To say that edeb8 is without much activity would be phrasing it too mildly. Its most popular forums are only posted on every few hours. More debates are instigated on DDO in a day than there are on edeb8 in 2 or 3 weeks. It is a virtual ghost town, straight and simple.
So why is this a bad thing?
I was once one of those people who hated edeb8 and wanted to see the Site fail. I even attempted to lead a movement in an "invasion" of the Site. But now, looking at that Site, I feel no sense of satisfaction; I feel disappointment. It is depressing to visit such a dead online community. Debate.org should have a rival, some competition. CreateDebate is obviously no competition at all for DDO; if edeb8 doesn't step up to the plate then this Site will continue to hold a dull monopoly over the internet's debating communities.
Look at this recent tournament; it is practically just a bunch DDO members, with a handful of members who are fighting for edeb8 and perhaps one or two legitimate online residents of edeb8. This wouldn't happen if that Site was to thrive. We could have large competitions with edeb8, and that would be much more interesting for everyone.

Here is my solution: some of us migrate to edeb8. Not completely; we would just spend some of our time on edeb8, while we'd still be prolific members of DDO.
We will instigate new, fresh debates, try to spice things up on the Site's forums, and invite debate-oriented people to join the Site. Basically we'd try to improve the Site.
Let's go help edeb8 out the best we can, so that it'll be at least slightly interesting.
Who is with me?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 10:59:45 PM
I actually think it's very sweet of you to want to help out the "rival" [in a friendly way ofc] site.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 11:55:23 PM
Every website starts small, I am sure they will grow, but I am happy here on DDO.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 11:59:35 PM
Somehow though I feel them advertising on this website wrong, even if they are former members here.

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 12:02:05 AM
At 7/19/2014 10:26:44 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
I was once one of those people who hated edeb8 and wanted to see the Site fail. I even attempted to lead a movement in an "invasion" of the Site.
Bubba?
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 8:56:14 AM
At 7/20/2014 12:02:05 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
I was once one of those people who hated edeb8 and wanted to see the Site fail. I even attempted to lead a movement in an "invasion" of the Site.
Bubba?

Hi Jif.

ArcTImes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 8:25:20 PM
To say that edeb8 is without much activity would be phrasing it too mildly. Its most popular forums are only posted on every few hours. More debates are instigated on DDO in a day than there are on edeb8 in 2 or 3 weeks. It is a virtual ghost town, straight and simple.
I was once one of those people who hated edeb8 and wanted to see the Site fail. I even attempted to lead a movement in an "invasion" of the Site. But now, looking at that Site, I feel no sense of satisfaction; I feel disappointment. It is depressing to visit such a dead online community. Debate.org should have a rival, some competition. CreateDebate is obviously no competition at all for DDO; if edeb8 doesn't step up to the plate then this Site will continue to hold a dull monopoly over the internet's debating communities.
Look at this recent tournament; it is practically just a bunch DDO members, with a handful of members who are fighting for edeb8 and perhaps one or two legitimate online residents of edeb8. This wouldn't happen if that Site was to thrive. We could have large competitions with edeb8, and that would be much more interesting for everyone.

Here is my solution: some of us migrate to edeb8. Not completely; we would just spend some of our time on edeb8, while we'd still be prolific members of DDO.
We will instigate new, fresh debates, try to spice things up on the Site's forums, and invite debate-oriented people to join the Site. Basically we'd try to improve the Site.
Let's go help edeb8 out the best we can, so that it'll be at least slightly interesting.
Who is with me?

I actually like this idea. I'm didn't know edb8 existed before the WODC but sure I'm going to visit that site from now. Seems like it has nice features.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 6:46:41 PM

Who is with me?

I don't want the site to fail, but I haven no interest in being a part of it.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 6:48:13 PM
At 7/21/2014 6:46:41 PM, YYW wrote:

Who is with me?

I mean there was a point I considered and I did make an account, but it would be a new commitment. I just like DDO and the fact is I know there are bad debates here, but there are good ones too.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 6:51:22 PM
At 7/21/2014 6:48:13 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:

Who is with me?

I mean there was a point I considered and I did make an account, but it would be a new commitment. I just like DDO and the fact is I know there are bad debates here, but there are good ones too.

There are three factors keeping me from being a member:

1. Larz allows people like ADreamOfLiberty to be members.
2. I like DDO way better, and have no reason, therefore, to commit what time I can elsewhere.
3. There is no viable social dynamic.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:29:38 PM
At 7/21/2014 6:51:22 PM, YYW wrote:

Who is with me?

Well they are so low members that I think they would take anyone. After all, DDO has some messed up people to.
2. I like DDO way better, and have no reason, therefore, to commit what time I can elsewhere.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:43:08 PM
At 7/21/2014 7:29:38 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:

Who is with me?

Well they are so low members that I think they would take anyone. After all, DDO has some messed up people to.

Sure, and Larz is totally within his rights to decide who and what to allow on his site. After all, it's his site and I can't hold that against him -but I do disagree with the choices he's made, so even if there was a viable social element and I hated DDO I wouldn't join.

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:00:09 PM

Who is with me?

These are all good ones, to which I would add: (1) there are never any good topics up; (2) there are too many options for setting up debates -- it seems tedious; (3) the formatting of the site just looks bad. If I'm gonna spend a lot of time staring at it, I want it to look pretty.*

*general rule
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:17:35 PM

Who is with me?

1. I don't think ADreamOfLiberty is still an active member.
2. Understandable.
3. They have forums, comments on debates, PMs, and video chat. What they lack most of all is members.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:28:02 PM
At 7/21/2014 8:17:35 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

Who is with me?

Well, that's good.

2. Understandable.

3. They have forums, comments on debates, PMs, and video chat. What they lack most of all is members.

I think Bluesteel's point about the site's interface/aesthetics is something I have to agree with as well. But, even if all of those problems were fixed, I see no reason to leave DDO.

The only things about the site I'd change is I'd make banning people a much more expedited process, I'd resize those huge and ugly gray and orange bars at the top and bottom of the screen and I'd rework the coloring scheme. I miss the blue. Orange and gray is just ugly. Reminds me of a prison.

Oh, and I'd bring Imabench back.

But even still, I'm not leaving DDO nor am I going to Larz's site.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:42:52 PM
edeb8 is dry as a bone. In the statistics, there are only 29 active users.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:50:47 PM
At 7/21/2014 8:28:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/21/2014 8:17:35 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

Who is with me?

Well, that's good.

2. Understandable.

I think Bluesteel's point about the site's interface/aesthetics is something I have to agree with as well. But, even if all of those problems were fixed, I see no reason to leave DDO.

The only things about the site I'd change is I'd make banning people a much more expedited process, I'd resize those huge and ugly gray and orange bars at the top and bottom of the screen and I'd rework the coloring scheme. I miss the blue. Orange and gray is just ugly. Reminds me of a prison.

Oh, and I'd bring Imabench back.

But even still, I'm not leaving DDO nor am I going to Larz's site.

I didn't say that people should leave DDO. What I'm suggesting is a part-time commitment to edeb8.

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:58:03 PM
At 7/21/2014 8:00:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
These are all good ones, to which I would add: (1) there are never any good topics up;
Because users never go there, which is why they should go there. He made a equation which automatically generates debate topics each week. NTM secret debate topics.
(2) there are too many options for setting up debates -- it seems tedious;
This is hardly a fair complaint. Edeb8 was designed for professional debates on par with leagues, who use the site twice a year/
(3) the formatting of the site just looks bad. If I'm gonna spend a lot of time staring at it, I want it to look pretty.*
Agreed

*general rule
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 12:11:45 AM
At 7/21/2014 8:58:03 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 7/21/2014 8:00:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
These are all good ones, to which I would add: (1) there are never any good topics up;
Because users never go there, which is why they should go there. He made a equation which automatically generates debate topics each week. NTM secret debate topics.

Why should we go there when we have a debate site here we enjoy?
(2) there are too many options for setting up debates -- it seems tedious;
This is hardly a fair complaint. Edeb8 was designed for professional debates on par with leagues, who use the site twice a year/
(3) the formatting of the site just looks bad. If I'm gonna spend a lot of time staring at it, I want it to look pretty.*
Agreed

*general rule

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 5:11:57 AM
I'd like to weigh in here on a few points if I may.

First, as I've always said, edeb8 and DDO are not really in competition. Edeb8 was always built for more formal, serious debate. Debate.org is less serious and formal. Of course you can have less serious debates on edeb8, or more serious debates on debate.org, but the overall development of the respective sites best support those ends. Ultimately, edeb8 should be competitive off its own merits, not just because it's "not DDO".

I get particularly frustrated at people who claim that I've been on DDO recruiting or advertising for edeb8. I've made people aware that it exists and I've answered questions about it on ddo when they've been asked, but I don't lurk around here trying to get more members to join. Instead I use that time developing new features for edeb8, fixing bugs, answering questions on the edeb8 forums etc. I don't have time to recruit here, nor would I want to if I did have time.

So if you don't want to be on edeb8 then that's fine, I respect your choice. The look of the site is an issue that I've been working on significantly (a cleared cache before going on edeb8 after having been away for a while is definitely recommended for this reason), and I've streamlined the debate setup options as far as I can while also giving users the degree of control that they demand. In particular, the automatic challenge generation that has been highlighted here has helped many new members become familiar with edeb8's system, and that was a recommendation made by a user. I'm thankful for all that community input, and really listen to what others have to say. As for topics and moderation concerns, both are really case-by-case issues, but I've not hesitated to use moderation on the site in the past, and I keep the topics list current every few months with new topics from recent tournaments.

If you have any further questions or concerns, I'd be happy to answer them.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 6:11:41 PM
At 7/22/2014 4:48:14 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Bump

No need to, I don't think anyone wants to do it.

ArcTImes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 8:11:49 PM
At 7/22/2014 6:11:41 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
At 7/22/2014 4:48:14 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Bump

No need to, I don't think anyone wants to do it.

I actually want. ededb8 seems interesting. And it's not about getting a new site to debate, I don't see any issue debating on both. It's not like your elo is going to be affected or you are going to get worse or something.

It's more about helping the online debating community.