Front Page Debates are out of hand

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 1:33:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Check it out. http://www.debate.org...

3 out of the 4 debates are of the user lifemeansgodisgood. There are tons of high quality debates that are hidden from view, so that barely comprehensible debates which happen to have the comment section spammed are headlining the site.

DDO needs to make the front page debates decided strictly by the amount of likes it receives. No other criteria is needed. Just like the new voting option. One person, one vote. The same thing can be said of threads. Threads can have a like button added and front page threads be decided by that.

It is no wonder the majority of new users posting challenges are of subpar debating skill. The people who are creating better content for Juggle are being crowded out by people creating subpar content.

Am I wrong in thinking that if higher quality debates are highlighted than debate.org would have a significantly lower bounce rate and put more money in their pocket.

Why isn't this plan being implemented. It's better for debaters. It's better for Juggle and it's better for the average joe that happens to just randomly click on this site to check it out.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 5:25:45 AM
Sigh.... What can we do? We have already b*ched at Blade & Airmax... And nothing has happened.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 6:01:19 AM
At 7/21/2014 5:25:45 AM, Envisage wrote:
Sigh.... What can we do? We have already b*ched at Blade & Airmax... And nothing has happened.
Blade forgot his update this week as well
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 6:02:51 AM
At 7/21/2014 1:36:13 AM, Romanii wrote:
Seconded whole-heartedly.
LMGIG is a master at debate. All his opponents cheat and break his rules though.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 6:17:32 AM
At 7/21/2014 6:13:15 AM, XLAV wrote:
Is lifemeansgodisgood a troll or really "complicated"?
I used to think he was a idiot, but given his last debate, I'm starting to think he's just trolling.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:31:00 AM

The only remaining option is for us to form a committee to find and comment-spam high quality debates :D
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:15:27 AM
At 7/21/2014 6:01:19 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:

Bsh did it for them.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
dynamicduodebaters
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 10:07:19 AM
At 7/21/2014 8:15:27 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Bsh did it for them.

This is sad that one, ONE GUY, gets to have 3/4 debates on the front page.......
DDD

Vote on my debates. Like this one!

"That moment where you're bored and want to do a debate, then you're doing four all at once."-Vedney
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 1:30:48 PM

I'm hoping relentless bitching works. Up until this point the bitching has been touch and go.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 3:07:39 PM
This is a good point. I think it would be right if we had a section for popular debates, the ones with the most likes. Then, we should have another section for new debates in which we see debates where the have just started and the challenge period has ended.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 3:22:39 PM
Also, I have another idea involving ELOs. Obviously members with better ELOs are more quality users. We can decide debates by ELOs with a simply conversion in which the ELOs of the two users debating are added and then divided by two to find the average. The debates with higher ELOs can be the front page debates.

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 3:25:15 PM
I wish there was a way to have it both ways. I mean it is important that quality debates by quality users are showed, especially on the front page for new guests to see and for these debates to get voted on, but we should not neglect amateurs with amateur debates. It is important that they get votes by debaters who can give them advice and thoughts. The amateur debaters of today could be the expert debaters of tomorrow. Who knows, Lifemeansgodisgood may just end up being the president of the United States.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 3:50:55 PM
At 7/21/2014 10:07:19 AM, dynamicduodebaters wrote:
At 7/21/2014 8:15:27 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Bsh did it for them.

This is sad that one, ONE GUY, gets to have 3/4 debates on the front page.......

No no. Lol. Bsh did the Presidential Update for this week, not put LMGIG's debates there. Lol.
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:08:17 PM
At 7/21/2014 3:22:39 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Also, I have another idea involving ELOs. Obviously members with better ELOs are more quality users. We can decide debates by ELOs with a simply conversion in which the ELOs of the two users debating are added and then divided by two to find the average. The debates with higher ELOs can be the front page debates.

Not necessarily though. Some members with high ELO's just have it from noob-sniping. :/ Or forfeits. Even Mikal, top of the leaderboard, with the highest ELO, agrees that ELO is not an appropriate way of measuring intelligence/debating skills. He admitted that Bluesteel, and Raisor, in his opinion was two of the best debaters on this site.

There are also other members, who are excellent debaters, but their ELO does not match [should be higher]: YYW, thett3, bsh, Danielle, Royal, ClassicRobert, Whiteflame, Wylted, Tyler, Roy etc. There are also other great debaters, whose debates are always fun and informative to read, like zmikecuber, Zarroette, Zaradi, sswdsm/Envisage, romanii, 9spaceking [though he's a troll debater.] There are many more, too many to be named. :/
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 4:23:10 PM
At 7/21/2014 4:08:17 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Not necessarily though. Some members with high ELO's just have it from noob-sniping. :/ Or forfeits. Even Mikal, top of the leaderboard, with the highest ELO, agrees that ELO is not an appropriate way of measuring intelligence/debating skills. He admitted that Bluesteel, and Raisor, in his opinion was two of the best debaters on this site.

There are also other members, who are excellent debaters, but their ELO does not match [should be higher]: YYW, thett3, bsh, Danielle, Royal, ClassicRobert, Whiteflame, Wylted, Tyler, Roy etc. There are also other great debaters, whose debates are always fun and informative to read, like zmikecuber, Zarroette, Zaradi, sswdsm/Envisage, romanii, 9spaceking [though he's a troll debater.] There are many more, too many to be named. :/

I can see your view. Although I think there should be a difference established between noob-sniping and helping noobs through debate. I will debate noobs (or at least users I have never met who appear to be noobs) once in a while but my intention would be to give strong arguments but even if they lose against me they can will at least understand what kind of format and structuring is used in debates. I also try to sound human and friendly rather than sounding like some computer (which some cases can seem like if it's all data and no arguments with no hint of personality in them). That however, is just me. I can see why some users would deliberately go after noobs to raise their ELO scores, but I see no reason to waste time since this is just an internet debate site. These debates aren't viewed by a large amount of the US population to effect policy.

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 5:34:03 PM
At 7/21/2014 1:33:52 AM, Wylted wrote:

3 out of the 4 debates are of the user lifemeansgodisgood. There are tons of high quality debates that are hidden from view, so that barely comprehensible debates which happen to have the comment section spammed are headlining the site.

DDO needs to make the front page debates decided strictly by the amount of likes it receives. No other criteria is needed. Just like the new voting option. One person, one vote. The same thing can be said of threads. Threads can have a like button added and front page threads be decided by that.

It is no wonder the majority of new users posting challenges are of subpar debating skill. The people who are creating better content for Juggle are being crowded out by people creating subpar content.

Am I wrong in thinking that if higher quality debates are highlighted than debate.org would have a significantly lower bounce rate and put more money in their pocket.

Why isn't this plan being implemented. It's better for debaters. It's better for Juggle and it's better for the average joe that happens to just randomly click on this site to check it out.

Yeah it's really too bad. I'm sad no one started a rage war on the Who is the Best Bachelor debate so it could be on top. Cuz that one was begging for a rage war.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 11:42:33 AM
At 7/21/2014 5:34:03 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Yeah it's really too bad. I'm sad no one started a rage war on the Who is the Best Bachelor debate so it could be on top. Cuz that one was begging for a rage war.

Would you like for me to start one?
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 11:46:20 AM
ELO is very untrustworthy...I'm considered a "noob", yes, but there are many non-noobs out there who should be considered noobs. I'm defeating that guy with over 3,000 elo who won mostly by noob-snipes, and keep in mind I've plagurized in that debate...I don't think anyone else has won and plagurized XD; I've also defeated some guy with over 4,000 elo gained purely by noob-assassinations.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 1:58:50 PM
At 7/22/2014 11:42:33 AM, Romanii wrote:
At 7/21/2014 5:34:03 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Would you like for me to start one?

yes plz
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 10:52:10 PM
At 7/21/2014 4:08:17 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Well I appreciate the shout out but I'm pretty sure my ELO should, if anything, be lower not higher haha.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 12:33:24 PM
At 7/25/2014 12:32:45 PM, Romanii wrote:
bump
Stop necroposting you troll
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 12:34:30 PM
At 7/25/2014 12:33:24 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
bump

Necro-bumps on threads with good ideas on them are not bad.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 1:45:27 PM
At 7/25/2014 12:34:30 PM, Romanii wrote:
bump

I agree. If this front page debate thing doesn't change. I'm running for president, and no I won't try to have a working relationship with juggle. I will constantly b!tch and moan until I get what I want out of them.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 2:19:07 PM
At 7/25/2014 1:45:27 PM, Wylted wrote:
bump

I agree. If this front page debate thing doesn't change. I'm running for president, and no I won't try to have a working relationship with juggle. I will constantly b!tch and moan until I get what I want out of them.

If you want a VP I'm open, completely agree with such idiocy on the front page.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 2:25:14 PM
At 7/25/2014 2:19:07 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
At 7/25/2014 1:45:27 PM, Wylted wrote:
bump

If you want a VP I'm open, completely agree with such idiocy on the front page.

If a change isn't made, consider it done.