Total Posts:68|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Rap Battles update

feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 5:27:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Continued from: http://www.debate.org...
Also: http://www.debate.org...
And: http://ddofans.com...

After two months(!) the ten qualifying battles are over and we move to the next stage.

The qualifiers were plagued with delays, drop-outs and forfeits. My co-judge hasn't been online for three weeks and one succesful competitor has been banned and doesn't seem to be coming back.

Nevertheless the lyrical throwdown commences.

We have six remaining competitors; one who has two wins and therefore a secure place in the finals (omelet) and five who are in the "play-off" stage. This has presented me with something of a mathematical conundrum but I think I have devised a reasonable solution.

This alters the original intended structure of play-offs, semis and final but sticks close to the principles of double elimination, seems fair and should also speed things up a bit.

PLAY-OFFS
_________
R1: A vs. B - loser eliminated
C vs. D - loser eliminated
E vs. omelet

If omelet wins E is eliminated and we go to R2(a), if E wins both are still in and we go to R2(b)
_________

R2(a): A/B vs. C/D with the winner facing omelet in the final.

_________

R2(b): A/B vs. E
C/D vs. omelet

The winners of these two will be in the final.

_________

Hope that is clear and seems fair to everyone, any questions let me know.

Random.org says:

A= Snell
B= Lwerd
C= Geo
D= Phil
E= Untitled

So:
R1:
________________Pro_________________________Con
________________________________________________
________________Snell ________vs.____________ Lwerd
________________Geo_________vs._____________Phil
________________Untitled______vs._____________omelet
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2010 11:14:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
My computer has now committed suicide. I'm in New York atm using my aunt's computer, and next week Vi is spending her Spring Break in North Carolina (and taking her laptop - also taking mine to her friend to be fixed) so I don't know if I'll be able to continue. I certainly hope so. Worse comes to worse, I can post something when her Spring Break ENDS and I get my comp back, but admittedly that won't be for another 2 weeks. I'm not sure if you guys are willing to wait that long. So, depending on when Snell challenges me, I might be able to get something out using HER laptop when I get home and before she leaves. Confusing, I know. It sucks.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 9:00:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm back in Illinois and waiting for my challenge from Snell. I won't be able to accept/post though unless (a) Vi fixes my computer before she leaves for NC, or (b) she lets me borrow hers while she goes. I'll let ya know. In the mean time, send over the challenge! She's only staying there til Sunday at the latest so I'll have time to accept :)
President of DDO
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 10:20:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/8/2010 9:00:09 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm back in Illinois and waiting for my challenge from Snell. I won't be able to accept/post though unless (a) Vi fixes my computer before she leaves for NC, or (b) she lets me borrow hers while she goes. I'll let ya know. In the mean time, send over the challenge! She's only staying there til Sunday at the latest so I'll have time to accept :)

I agree, I think we need to get this started. Geo, you can send over the challenge any time. But, I don't think I will be able to do it in the next couple of weeks, so lets get 'er done!
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:55:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I guess if you don't hear from your opponent soon then yeah, start the debate yourself, same goes for Om and L.

Geo? Dave? entity? Where you at?
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 5:33:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay, this is kind of lame from the Pros, thanks to Cons for your patience and continued enthusiasm.

Phil, L, if you want to follow Om's example and send out the challenges then go for it.

If a challenge expires with no response at all from your opponent then you will be declared the winner automatically.

At this rate Phil will be facing L and the winner will be against Omelet in the final.

Geo, Snell, untitled, if you still want to be involved but need more time let me know now rather than at the last minute please.

Thanks.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 7:16:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ok untitled has been in touch and will challenge this weekend.

Snell has not been online for a while, I might try reaching him on facebook.

Geo has been online and active and seems to be ignoring this thread and comments on his profile. Don't know what's up with that.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 7:41:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/18/2010 7:19:29 AM, Puck wrote:
At 3/18/2010 7:16:21 AM, feverish wrote:
Don't know what's up with that.

You made fun of his favourite rapper. :P

lol I really hope that is not the reason.

(Sorry Geo, I do actually think Canibus is a gifted and important artist, he's just not one of my faves).
omelet
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 6:18:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/18/2010 7:16:21 AM, feverish wrote:
untitled has been in touch and will challenge this weekend.
I was about to come here to say that.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 6:25:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Haha, it has nothing to do with that. I'm just lazy. My way of saying that I won't participate anytime soon is by not saying anything at all.

I will say that I am definitely interested and look forward to battling philosophical, but I have to be in the right mood and have to have a lot of extra time to make this stuff. I spent countless hours creating my last 4 rap videos because they require a lot of work. So it's understandable why I won't be able to do this battle immediately.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2010 8:52:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/18/2010 6:25:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Haha, it has nothing to do with that. I'm just lazy. My way of saying that I won't participate anytime soon is by not saying anything at all.

I will say that I am definitely interested and look forward to battling philosophical, but I have to be in the right mood and have to have a lot of extra time to make this stuff. I spent countless hours creating my last 4 rap videos because they require a lot of work. So it's understandable why I won't be able to do this battle immediately.

Well I dont know how fond I feel of simply waiting until you "feel like it".
Do you want to battle or not? Because, if not I will gladly challenge someone else.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2010 8:54:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'll go ahead and get video ready if you want, but I need to know If ima be wating my time or not
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2010 3:43:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I understand where Geo is coming from, but quite frankly whether you feel up to it or not is kind of irrelevant in a tournament. It's not fair to give you infinite amount of days to challenge but require that another competitor do it in a certain amount of time. Similarly, at this point you'll have had weeks and weeks to prepare a round whereas your opponent will only have 7 days at best (to accept the challenge at least). Snell e-mailed me and asked me when I wanted to be challenged; he said the earliest he could send it was yesterday afternoon. I told him ASAP was fine and whenever was best for him was okay with me. He still hasn't challenged me, so I guess I'm waiting on that. I'll refrain from being the one to initiate a challenge, because so far I've been the only one to post anything at all in all of my battles except for the one vs. Vi in which a winner wasn't even declared (I don't think). Lulz I didn't wanna submit another round, beat her and eliminate her from the tournament but now it doesn't even matter since she's gone anyway. That was a cheap loss and dumb move on my part. Grr.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2010 3:48:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think at this point it's safe to say that all of the PROs are forfeiting. Again, it's been weeks... and it's really not fair to give them weeks to instigate a challenge, and then expect CON to have a rebuttal in just a few days. I'm not trying to be difficult lol - just fair. And I don't want this tourney to become just another DDO effort that went unfinished.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2010 3:53:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/19/2010 3:43:06 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I understand where Geo is coming from, but quite frankly whether you feel up to it or not is kind of irrelevant in a tournament. It's not fair to give you infinite amount of days to challenge but require that another competitor do it in a certain amount of time. Similarly, at this point you'll have had weeks and weeks to prepare a round whereas your opponent will only have 7 days at best (to accept the challenge at least).

Except, I'm not spending my days preparing. I have college homework stacked up, midterm exams, and other stuff going on.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2010 9:22:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/21/2010 3:53:59 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/19/2010 3:43:06 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I understand where Geo is coming from, but quite frankly whether you feel up to it or not is kind of irrelevant in a tournament. It's not fair to give you infinite amount of days to challenge but require that another competitor do it in a certain amount of time. Similarly, at this point you'll have had weeks and weeks to prepare a round whereas your opponent will only have 7 days at best (to accept the challenge at least).

Except, I'm not spending my days preparing. I have college homework stacked up, midterm exams, and other stuff going on.

That's all well and dandy, but why do you get that luxury, and yet if you challenge your opponent, they only get a few days to respond despite how much homework THEY might have to do? The bottom line is that all the PROs have had weeks and weeks to send a challenge, which is abusive and against the rules and feverish's requests. It's really unfair to all the CONs, and likewise unfair to all of the people who were PRO in the past and yet only had a few days to issue challenges despite how busy they might have been. The same can be said about the CONs or anyone who was previously eliminated. Maybe if they were all given month-long extensions, they could have done better. So I guess it's safe to say that this tournament is over. Even if it's not, it's become so unfair that it doesn't matter. If I had over a month to write 16 bars mine would be really good too lol what BS! If your school work is getting in the way, then choose school work. But don't expect the rules to be bent for you when they had to apply to everyone else in the past. That's not fair at all.
President of DDO
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2010 10:36:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/30/2010 4:41:11 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Askbob, you may as well update the DDO Wiki about how this tournament is over.

Pretty much. Dang. This was fun too.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 2:00:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/30/2010 10:36:36 PM, philosphical wrote:
At 3/30/2010 4:41:11 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Askbob, you may as well update the DDO Wiki about how this tournament is over.

Pretty much. Dang. This was fun too.

Hmm, it is a shame that things seem to have ground to a halt. Maybe I should declare forfeits from Snell, Geo and entity.

Would you two (L and Phil) be up for battling each other with the winner facing Omelet in a final?
collegekitchen8
Posts: 100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 2:08:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
finish the tourney lazies. The people who are willing should finish. Champions aren't determined by mere skill but by persistence. Let the persistent players challenge each other and declare a winner.
: At 3/30/2010 12:57:51 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
: The universe is simple, It all makes sense given laws like gravity and stuff.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 7:44:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/1/2010 2:00:42 PM, feverish wrote:

Would you two (L and Phil) be up for battling each other with the winner facing Omelet in a final?

Yeah, but I'm home in New York again. I'll have access to a webcam (that's what I use cuz I've got no recording device) when I'm back in Illinois when I can use her computer. If that's not acceptable, I'll do a text battle in the interim. Though I doubt feverish will approve, so it's next week or nuthin! Send me the chizzallenge at any time and I'll respond when I get home next Thursday night :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 7:46:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/1/2010 7:30:44 PM, Paris wrote:
Haha where can I see the rap battles people did? I wanna vote! Can someone link me to all of them?

Hmm. Try going to the people who were involved and look at their profiles for them. I can recall off the top of my head myself, Untitled_Entity, Philosophical, Geo, snelld7, omelet, I-am-a-Panda... and I forget who else.
President of DDO
collegekitchen8
Posts: 100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 8:08:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/1/2010 7:30:44 PM, Paris wrote:
Haha where can I see the rap battles people did? I wanna vote! Can someone link me to all of them?

http://ddofans.com...
: At 3/30/2010 12:57:51 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
: The universe is simple, It all makes sense given laws like gravity and stuff.