Is this a bad debate topic?

DavidSSabb94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2010 2:54:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

Or are people on this website just lazy? My first challenger didn't post an argument, and since my current one hasn't made any comments, forum posts, or debates since joining over a month ago and time is running out for a reply, I'm starting to question the likelyhood of getting a response from that person either?

Is my challenge worded in a bad way? Is 48 hours too short of a time period for a reply? Or am I just unlucky?
You need to watch Glenn Beck as much as I to know what you are talking about." ~ banker
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2010 3:19:36 AM
Looks fine, though sans references you may want to change.

Once the timer runs out the debate will reset so someone else will have a chance to take it (you can edit the debate after a R1 time out and it being accepted again as well).
DavidSSabb94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2010 3:30:21 PM
At 3/4/2010 3:19:36 AM, Puck wrote:
Looks fine, though sans references you may want to change.

Once the timer runs out the debate will reset so someone else will have a chance to take it (you can edit the debate after a R1 time out and it being accepted again as well).

I know I can reset it when the timer runs out, the issue is this has happened twice already.
You need to watch Glenn Beck as much as I to know what you are talking about." ~ banker
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 4:22:27 PM
If there was something wrong with the topic, that would be a reason for not accepting the challenge. Once a challenge is accepted, there is no excuse for not following through with an argument.

Forfeits are fairly common, and the problem seems to be getting worse. I don't know why, but it is annoying. It's also becoming more common to pose a challenge without an opening argument. That is usually pure laziness.

I think your topic is OK, but it allows a response along the lines of "No, safe drinking water should be our top priority. Without good water, everyone will get sick and be unable to fight terrorism." A fair number of debaters here believe it is extremely clever to subvert the intent of a debate challenge. Sometimes a challenge is so poorly constructed that it is unreasonable to expect anyone to figure out what the instigator really had in mind, so it's fair to dump on him. But that's not usually the case.

Its best to define both sides as clearly as possible. Maybe, "Al Qaeda should be eliminated, not just contained." That better defines the Pro and Con sides of the debate.
DavidSSabb94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2010 5:25:18 PM
Can I get a promise from someone to actual commit to posting a rebuttal? I'm going to try one more time before I just give up on the topic.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2010 5:32:14 PM
At 3/6/2010 5:25:18 PM, DavidSSabb94 wrote:
Can I get a promise from someone to actual commit to posting a rebuttal? I'm going to try one more time before I just give up on the topic.

I'm tempted to accept it, but I'm still indecisive...