Jump to topic:

Request: Jewish Ethnicity

Seido
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 10:50:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Just a minor request in regard the ethnicity choices for our profiles. Judaism is commonly regarded not only as a religion, but as an ethnicity. In order to respect this, I request that Jewish, Caucasian-Jewish, Arabian-Jewish, and Black-Jewish be added as choose-able ethnicity for our profiles.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 3:19:25 PM
I feel much the same as Endarkened. I accept Ashkenazi and Sephardic as ethnicity, but not Jewish.
Seido
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 8:11:22 PM
It is commonly viewed as an ethnicity for two primary reasons. The first of these reasons is how the religion of Judaism is spread from generation to generation. In order for someone to be considered Jewish, their mother must have been Jewish. This sort of bloodline way of spreading the religion has turned what was once more or less just a religion, into an ethnicity. The second reason why it is considered to be an ethnicity is a result of the views towards the Jewish community in the late nineteenth century and the first half of the twentieth century. Such things as the transformation of anti-Jewishness into Antisemitism resulted in a much more ethnic Jewish community as opposed to a religious one.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 10:53:32 PM
At 7/30/2014 8:11:22 PM, Seido wrote:
It is commonly viewed as an ethnicity for two primary reasons. The first of these reasons is how the religion of Judaism is spread from generation to generation. In order for someone to be considered Jewish, their mother must have been Jewish. This sort of bloodline way of spreading the religion has turned what was once more or less just a religion, into an ethnicity. The second reason why it is considered to be an ethnicity is a result of the views towards the Jewish community in the late nineteenth century and the first half of the twentieth century. Such things as the transformation of anti-Jewishness into Antisemitism resulted in a much more ethnic Jewish community as opposed to a religious one.

Yes, and perhaps the meaning here is solely to show that a person's religion stems back into their familial line. I can see why that might be tempting, but I think that just opens the floodgates to including all religions as ethnicities. Most religions are inherited from one parent or another (or both), and just because it's more formalized in Judaism doesn't, in my estimation, make it an ethnicity. I'm Jewish because I choose to be Jewish, not because my mother is Jewish. My sister-in-law is just as Jewish, despite the fact that she converted from a Jehovah's Witness. Her background doesn't change what she is. To state that she is not ethnically Jewish seems to insinuate that she is less Jewish than I am.

The latter point is more confounding to me. Anti-Judaism and the various forms it's taken recently (specifically with the inaccurately-named antisemitism) do not create an ethnicity where none existed before. I also find it more than a little perturbing that a way of viewing Jewish peoples that was used to massacre millions of us in the 1940's would be something we'd want to press forward with. The mentality that we are inherently what our religious roots are is something I wouldn't support.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 11:10:01 PM
At 7/29/2014 10:50:29 PM, Seido wrote:
Just a minor request in regard the ethnicity choices for our profiles. Judaism is commonly regarded not only as a religion, but as an ethnicity. In order to respect this, I request that Jewish, Caucasian-Jewish, Arabian-Jewish, and Black-Jewish be added as choose-able ethnicity for our profiles.

I support this point of view, not that it counts much.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
ThatLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:16:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I do support adding Jewish as an ethnicity, but not under the some of the same titles you mentioned, such as instead of Caucasian-Jewish, Ashkenazi or Sephardic. I don't think converts, should necessarily be considered an ethnicity unless they identify with one so much, or they come from an area where Ashkenazi dominates in the local Jewish population, such as Eastern Europe.
Sincerely, ThatLibertarian
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 1:36:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/29/2014 10:50:29 PM, Seido wrote:

Just pick an ethnicity and stick with it, the slashes or hyphens aren't necessary. I picked white, despite being partial otherkin