Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:17:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Howdy folks!

It's that time again.

Projects

The AAN tournament is going real well, I think. Daytona will have a new tournament up soon, and the intention is that that one will be an "official" tournament that gets stickied in the tournament sticky (which is in the Misc forum, incidentally) as well. It's important, obviously, not to have too many going on at the same time.

A program I'd like to mention briefly is an outreach program. In the near future, I'm going to specifically start with one for new female members, but I'm hoping to do several of the sort. On occasion, new members of particular subgroups have been made to feel less than welcome, and I figure it's good have some folks who are specifically there for outreach. Assuming the folks I've approached are okay with the goal and intention, I'll make a formal announcement about it next week.

A recent thing that many people have mentioned is front-page debates, and considering the changing of how that is sorted out. I've said before that I had a different "first goal", however, I think it's a popular enough idea, solves a problem, and is simple enough to implement, that I'm going to work for that before my original plan (changing RFD space). A reminder: I can't guarantee it, so I won't. But I can say I'll work on it and try my best.

Movin' on:

Moderation information

When I ran for the Presidency, I explained that I wanted to make moderation more transparent. But I also explained that the goal of that transparency was not to publicly shame people who have had to be spoken to, but to talk about issues that have come up, and to remind us all about behavior that isn't acceptable.

So, with that in mind, I'd like to talk a little bit about multi-accounting.

Let's start with the rule of thumb: Multi-accounting is never acceptable.

Fundamentally, it's dishonest. Two people who are the same person having a "conversation" is intellectually dishonest. Having more than one account throws the whole voting system off-kilter and, regardless of your overall opinion of votes in general, is clearly unacceptable.

From a historical standpoint, there have been exceptions to this general rule, but these exceptions have been extremely limited. Older members may recall mafia hydras...and should also recall that they are not allowed any more. And there is a workaround for team debates that involves a couple "master" accounts (and incidentally anyone interested in doing team debates should reach out...).

But, as I said, these are exceptions to what is otherwise a hard and fast rule.

If there is any reason you're thinking of making a new account, contact a mod before you do so. Forewarning, the answer is likely to be "no", but if you really have a compelling reason, it can't hurt to ask. But this is definitely a case where asking permission is far preferable to begging forgiveness.

If you're caught multi-accounting, your fate is 100% at the mercy of the mods. And that mercy is likely to be limited. Pretty much the best you can hope for is that one of the accounts will be closed and you will be temp-banned.

On a final note, bear in mind that creating a new account, and closing your old one, is not the same thing as multi-accounting. It is a moderator prerogative to allow it, but the moderators are generally okay with it--provided that you close your old account. The point is that you are allowed access to one account.

Incidentally, this seems as good a time as any to also remind everyone to keep their own account secure, too. Letting someone else log into your account is a form of multiaccounting and, even if accidental, means (to crib from South Park) "you're gonna have a bad time".

This week's Site Tip/Trick is:

About Rich Text. In Forum posts and Debate Rounds, we all know there are rich text options. In debate rounds, you can click on "Rich Text", and you go from having a blank text box to having almost a little window of Word. In forum posts, there's the buttons on the bottom right for Bold, Underline, and Italic. But the Rich Text option can sometimes mess with your formatting, as I'm sure we've all seen. If all you're doing is simple Bold, Italics, and Underlining, you can do it manually. What you do is use HTML tags.

You have to put carrots around the code: <>. You have to open and close each tag.

So if you type "em" in between two carrots like above, and then your text, and close it with a "/em" that's in between two carrots, you'll get italicized text. If you do the same thing with "ins", you'll get underlined text. If you do it with "strong", you'll get bolded text.

If you aren't emphasizing much, this can be faster than either hitting Rich Text or using the buttons. Just remember to close your tags, or the whole thing will be bolded/underlined/italicized!

If anyone has a history question or a site tip they'd like to be in next week's, let me know.

As always, contact me or bsh1 if you have any questions or concerns. And if any debate is voteless and approaching the end of its voting period, send me a PM and it will be sure to get a vote.

Thanks, DDO!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:32:15 PM
Since when did mafia hydras become against the rules? And why are they against the rules?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:36:45 PM
At 8/1/2014 10:32:15 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Since when did mafia hydras become against the rules? And why are they against the rules?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 11:09:18 PM
At 8/1/2014 10:32:15 PM, Zaradi wrote:

It's been awhile now, I don't recall exactly when I mentioned it but I believe it was around a year ago. I don't recall exactly where anymore, but it was when the popularity of hydras had mostly waned and I contacted a couple specific members who were still using one after I had mentioned it. I don't recall seeing any since then, though I may just have not noticed.

The reason is because members are only able to access one account. It's simpler to not have any exceptions like this, and that particular exception created complications regarding accountability of an account being accessed by multiple people. It became even more problematic when members were using hydras for other purposes like posting in the forum and thus using multiple accounts for various site activity. So ultimately it's simpler to just stick with the basic rule, of one account per member.

It's also worth mentioning here that while members are allowed to deactivate their account and create a new one, once I become aware that they have moved on to a new account, I will close their former account and not reopen it. A recurring issue has occurred where a member will deactivate an account, then use a new one to debate a bunch of times, then go back to their old account if they don't get the results they wanted from the debates on the new account. Members will either use that new account to try debating without the consequence of having it affect their record, or to outright troll with it without the consequences to their reputation. To discourage this, I will not reopen the former accounts of members once they have moved on to a new account. Members are free to move on to a new account if they so choose, but we don't want a situation where members are playing musical accounts to manipulate their debating record or to troll the site.
Debate.org Moderator
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 11:11:15 PM
At 8/1/2014 11:09:18 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
So ultimately it's simpler to just stick with the basic rule, of one account per member.
Wait, so you're telling me that mafia hydras were once allowed on this site, but we are banned from having debating alternates?
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 11:12:47 PM
At 8/1/2014 11:08:51 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Washington Post
Debates still go unvoted on. I blame it on Bladerunner!

This is actually quite shocking... the Washington Post is still a thing?
Debate.org Moderator
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 11:13:53 PM
At 8/1/2014 11:12:47 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
This is actually quite shocking... the Washington Post is still a thing?
Unfortunately, yes. Although they have become slightly more non-Partisan overtime.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 11:14:45 PM
At 8/1/2014 11:11:15 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 8/1/2014 11:09:18 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
So ultimately it's simpler to just stick with the basic rule, of one account per member.
Wait, so you're telling me that mafia hydras were once allowed on this site, but we are banned from having debating alternates?

All I am telling you is that members are only able to have one account.

As for debating alternatives, I suggest Edeb8. It is a fine website created by one of our very own members. Check it out, it's very cool.
Debate.org Moderator
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 11:18:52 PM
At 8/1/2014 11:14:45 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Just a quick question. Has juggle ever actually listened to us once this year?
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 11:25:47 PM
At 8/1/2014 11:18:52 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

There are always things being discussed and worked on that members express interest in, so the answer is yes, they happen to listen to everything.

Members also expressed an interest in having the voting system upgraded. Some expressed an interest in the up-down system, the jury system, and an ELO floor. Juggle updated the voting system with all of those options. That upgrade, like everything on the site, is a work in progress and we will always work on making it better. But that update was a significant one, and shows Juggles willingness to listen to members, and follow through on the desires expressed.
Debate.org Moderator
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 11:33:53 PM
At 8/1/2014 11:25:47 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

There are always things being discussed and worked on that members express interest in, so the answer is yes, they happen to listen to everything.

Members also expressed an interest in having the voting system upgraded. Some expressed an interest in the up-down system, the jury system, and an ELO floor. Juggle updated the voting system with all of those options. That upgrade, like everything on the site, is a work in progress and we will always work on making it better. But that update was a significant one, and shows Juggles willingness to listen to members, and follow through on the desires expressed.

Also the expanded gender options, which I think is very significant to at least some members.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 11:57:14 PM
At 8/1/2014 11:33:53 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Also the expanded gender options, which I think is very significant to at least some members.

That too, thanks.

Plus some backend stuff... In any case, I think it's safe to say that Juggle has been listening in the past year.
Debate.org Moderator
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 10:13:27 AM

I will admit, that was a huge update, although if you compare it to everything we asked for, and how long we actually asked for it, then it seems meager. Juggle isn't active in this site. A update once a year that adds 2 new features isn't exactly my idea of progress.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 12:07:08 PM

DDDDDDDDDD
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 12:07:45 PM

I mean X^DDDDDD