Jump to topic:

Update Requirement - Error or Virus?

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 4:16:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
For the last week or so, when I have had DDO idle on the desktop whilst doing other tasks, I will get an error, saying I need to upgrade my shockplayer or something....just now it was an anti-virus update, when I shouldn't have Norton, anyway.

I am unaware of performance issues, and it only happens on this site.....I have had numerous issues with shock player stopping working, but that is the last couple of months.

Should I be concerned?
Should DDO be?
My work here is, finally, done.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 6:24:06 PM
At 8/2/2014 4:16:40 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
For the last week or so, when I have had DDO idle on the desktop whilst doing other tasks, I will get an error, saying I need to upgrade my shockplayer or something....just now it was an anti-virus update, when I shouldn't have Norton, anyway.

I am unaware of performance issues, and it only happens on this site.....I have had numerous issues with shock player stopping working, but that is the last couple of months.

Should I be concerned?
Should DDO be?

How does the error pop up?

There's no need for shockplayer, AFAIK...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 6:53:09 PM

Should I be concerned?
Should DDO be?

Could be a rogue antivirus, a type of malware which claims that you have certain viruses on your computer, and requires you to purchase its fake and nonexistant antivirus protection. You might want to use adblock, and do a scan with malwarebytes anti-malware.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 7:03:08 PM
At 8/2/2014 6:24:06 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Should I be concerned?
Should DDO be?

I am taking of the DDO page I am on, and I am told I need to upgrade/download necessary files (or whatever the thing is).
I can back tab or refresh, I believe.

I has only happened like five times, but always and only on DDO.
Never facebook, youtube, or whereever my random searches take me.....only DDO.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 7:04:17 PM
At 8/2/2014 6:53:09 PM, jh1234l wrote:

Should I be concerned?
Should DDO be?

Could be a rogue antivirus, a type of malware which claims that you have certain viruses on your computer, and requires you to purchase its fake and nonexistant antivirus protection. You might want to use adblock, and do a scan with malwarebytes anti-malware.

Why only ever on DDO, though?
Is it that specific?
DDO is almost always open, but I think this occurred at work, too, and we use chrome for our web based work.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 7:07:17 PM
At 8/2/2014 7:03:08 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 8/2/2014 6:24:06 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Should I be concerned?
Should DDO be?

I am taking of the DDO page I am on, and I am told I need to upgrade/download necessary files (or whatever the thing is).
I can back tab or refresh, I believe.

I has only happened like five times, but always and only on DDO.
Never facebook, youtube, or whereever my random searches take me.....only DDO.

It's a weird error. I expect it's possibly related to the ads--which I don't generally see, but which might require shockwave and/or flash...what's your browser?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 7:50:56 PM
At 8/2/2014 7:07:17 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

It's a weird error. I expect it's possibly related to the ads--which I don't generally see, but which might require shockwave and/or flash...what's your browser?

Chrome
But, most, if not all, happen when I'm not even on the tab.
Like, if after I posted this thread, I'd be doing work on another tab, and this page would move of its own to this error thing. There is no way I clicked on the ad, since I wasn't even in this tab. Sometimes not even in the program (word or something).

But, apparently, it is unique to me, so who knows what it is.
At least it isn't site wide.