Jump to topic:

First and Only Presidential Debate

Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 7:20:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Tonight will be the first and only presidential and vice presidential debate, to be conducted in a town hall format. The rules are as follows: (1) No questions until after each candidate has made an opening statement; (2) thereafter, any individual on DDO may ask a question, and may direct it to any candidate, (3) candidates may not answer questions not asked of themselves, but may do so after twenty five questions or two hours have passed, whichever comes first. At that time, questions will be closed (those asked will be unanswered) and candidates may freely address the answers given by any other candidate. The debate will close at 12:30 pm tomorrow, eastern standard time, fourteen hours from now. Any time thereafter a candidate may post one brief closing statement. With that being said, we will now commence with opening statements:
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:01:27 PM
Just got done eating nonrational chickens and apparently it's insisted that I go first. Lengthy opening statements are however of no particular value when it is an incumbent stating them, therefore I shall let the lack of negative events within the jurisdiction of the presidency over the course of my administration so far serve as my opening statement. Not sure whose opening statement is next, I'd hope to get to the questions.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:05:00 PM
Dear members of the Debate.Org community, my name is Lexicaholic, and I am running as the presidential candidate on the Reform Party ticket. With me today is my running mate, Volkov, and Ragnar_Rahl and wjmelements, of the Liberty Party. I look forward, as I'm sure we all do, to the questions you will raise and the opportunity to address your concerns as we approach election day. As the rules call for a brief statement that is what I shall provide. I would begin by explaining the Reform Party platform's heart, namely it's plan to improve membership and site revenue. The Reform Party is looking forward to acting on measures to increase site traffic, thereby providing WebCorp with the business impetus to establish enhanced features on this site. In particular, the Reform Party plans to add a real time streaming debate feature that is pay to use, and to update this site with numerous free features, including forum improvements, updated Big Topic lists, and tournament debating. These features would be paid for from the revenue derived from the premium features. Moreover, we have assembled a dedicated, and highly skilled crack team to work on implementing these site improvements, and many more. I look forward to discussing the issues with my distinguished colleagues and competitors, and to providing you with the answers you need to make an informed decision come election day. Thank you.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:06:11 PM
Opening Statement

I intend for this town hall to stay clean and I hope the DDOian People realize that they need a free site, that they need equal suffrage, that they need liberty.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:11:43 PM
I'll echo my fellow VP candidate and hope this debate goes well, and proves productive - unlike Ragnar's administration. I hope to make this an enjoyable experience, and to echo the words of former Liberal leader Stephane Dion, let's have some fun!

Oh, and wjm... can I call you Joe?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:12:36 PM
At 3/5/2010 9:11:43 PM, Volkov wrote:
Oh, and wjm... can I call you Joe?

What for?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:16:50 PM
At 3/5/2010 9:12:36 PM, wjmelements wrote:
What for?

This is what you get with the Liberty Party - no sense of humour, no connection to popular culture. Tsk, tsk.
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:17:38 PM
At 3/5/2010 9:16:50 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/5/2010 9:12:36 PM, wjmelements wrote:
What for?

This is what you get with the Liberty Party - no sense of humour, no connection to popular culture. Tsk, tsk.

Lol.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:21:40 PM
Now that all opening statements have been made, we shall open the debate to your questions. Please remember to direct your question specifically to the person you wish to answer it. Candidates, please do not post a rebuttal until either 25 questions have been asked or until 2:00 am EST, whichever comes first. The floor is yours, DDO.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:28:34 PM
Are our questions supposed to be DDO specific or can we ask questions relating to abortion, marijuana, etc.?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:31:01 PM
At 3/5/2010 9:28:34 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Are our questions supposed to be DDO specific or can we ask questions relating to abortion, marijuana, etc.?

You may ask any questions you like about either political concerns or DDO specific concerns.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:33:34 PM
Taxation. When and where is it justified and what are the legitimate functions of revenue obtained from such methods?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:34:21 PM
At 3/5/2010 9:33:34 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Taxation. When and where is it justified and what are the legitimate functions of revenue obtained from such methods?

To whom are you directing the question?
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:34:49 PM
The above question is for all candidates, Rahl, Lexicaholic, Wjmelements, Volkov and collegekitcen7.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:38:45 PM
At 3/5/2010 9:34:49 PM, Reasoning wrote:
The above question is for all candidates, Rahl, Lexicaholic, Wjmelements, Volkov and collegekitcen7.

One at a time, Reasoning, in a given order, to make our lives a little easier.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:39:32 PM
At 3/5/2010 9:38:45 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/5/2010 9:34:49 PM, Reasoning wrote:

One at a time, Reasoning, in a given order, to make our lives a little easier.

Oh No! Don't want to give the politicians too much to do at the same time!
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:40:03 PM

Taxation is never justified in any situation. The legitimate function of revenue (not taxes, but user-fees sufficient to produce the needed funds) is in maintaining the courts and enforcing their decisions, and in maintaining a defensive military.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:41:40 PM
Taxation can at the very best be justified when there is proof that a government with a higher tax rate is invading the country with a force that cannot be resisted otherwise. Even then I'm not sure it can be justified (I'm open to arguments on it) and such taxes could not be legitimately directed anywhere but the resistance effort or legitimately continued at any time after the retreat of the enemy troops. I am certain that taxes can be justified at no other time, and I am certain that any such situation occurring for any but the newest government is proof of failure as a ruler and should lead to immediate resignation of the head of state after the crisis, on pain of revolt.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:42:22 PM

Taxation is justified where (a) it is not unconstitutional, (b) it serves to promote the common good and (c) it does not unduly burden the economy. The legitimate function of such revenue is to serve the public good, namely to (1) provide services that uniformly benefit the taxing entity's constituents and (2) preserve the society that the taxing entity serves. At least, that is how I would answer your question. Economists and others may differ in their beliefs. I would add that the agents of the taxing entity have a duty to cut costs and reduce the demand for taxes whenever possible while meeting essential objectives. For example, I would go further than the democrats have and cut discretionary spending, rather than simply freezing its growth. I would also try and pass some anti-earmark legislation, even a constitutional amendment, if possible.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:45:57 PM
I thank the candidates for their timely responses. :)

Next Question: Lexicaholic, is theLwerd a part of your "crack team"?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:49:32 PM
Not to get too technical, but taxation is justified when the state is told to start providing a service for its citizens. Whenever a service must be provided, there must be a form of revenue existent in order to fund it. Taxation is a necessary and proper way to get that revenue, so long as it is done within the bounds of legality and so long as the state is seen as legitimate and sovereign. This is why the Boston Tea Party even occurred; the British crown was seen as abusing the rights of the American colonists, and therefore seen as an illegitimate force forcing unfair taxation upon an unrepresented peoples. Didn't go over too well, did it?

And sorry for my "untimely" response.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 9:53:45 PM
At 3/5/2010 9:45:57 PM, Reasoning wrote:
I thank the candidates for their timely responses. :)

Next Question: Lexicaholic, is theLwerd a part of your "crack team"?

She is. The Lwerd is the Secretary of the Department of the Treasury and would serve in that capacity in my administration. She had rather impressive credentials, for a member of this site, to back her selection. We also have a Secretary of Defense who has served in the military and is dedicated to our goal of utilizing our troops only as needed in our defense, a Secretary of Transportation who works on system engineering and has interests in transit operations, and, up until her banning, we had Vi who spoke four languages and was well traveled as our Secretary of State. She might still have that position, if she wants and indicates as much to me. I'm happy to accept offsite help. Of course, most significantly, we have PoeJoe as the individual I would rely upon to implement our plans for improving this site. We also have one very important member(s) -- all of DDO. Our party is more than willing to accept suggestions and develop new positions as necessary to achieve our goals. If you are interested, send me a message with some ideas. :)
collegekitchen6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 10:06:16 PM
Askbob will not be participating into tonight's debate because unlike the other contenders he has a life and a girlfriend he must attend to.

Have fun wasting your friday night fruitlessly on DDO.

Askbob: The only candidate capable of contributing pages to the wikipedia and still maintaining a steady relationship.

Also I need no cabinet members or vice president because I am capable of handling every task necessary as the DDO President unlike either of my two contenders.

Askbob: A strong leader who needs no weaklings to pick up his slack.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 10:10:33 PM
At 3/5/2010 10:06:16 PM, collegekitchen6 wrote:
Askbob will not be participating into tonight's debate because unlike the other contenders he has a life and a girlfriend he must attend to.

Have fun wasting your friday night fruitlessly on DDO.

Askbob: The only candidate capable of contributing pages to the wikipedia and still maintaining a steady relationship.

Also I need no cabinet members or vice president because I am capable of handling every task necessary as the DDO President unlike either of my two contenders.

Askbob: A strong leader who needs no weaklings to pick up his slack.

Not a question, so I won't count it against the 25 count mark. If you want to join in, feel free, Askbob. I only didn't include you because I had lost track of the name you were using. Opening statement and etc. (PS You're not the only one with a girlfriend, some of us just know how to schedule our dates for Saturday night ;) )
collegekitchen6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 10:14:39 PM
At 3/5/2010 10:10:33 PM, Lexicaholic wrote:
(PS You're not the only one with a girlfriend, some of us just don't take advantage of the weekend and waste a valuable day on DDO by making our girlfriend cheat on us with another guy on Friday night ;) )

Might wanna fix that bro, but I'm out for the night, its 1:14 here and I'm gonna get some sleep.

Have fun sleeping by yourselves

MWAHAHA
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 10:15:45 PM
Askbob: obsessed with members like banker and athiestman online, creates and manages and raves constantly about a site that he was never originally involved in, and despite dozens of bannings, keeps coming back online and telling people how he thinks Phil is running the place wrong, yet says he has no time for an informal debate because of he "has a life" and no time to spend on the computer.

Askbob - the hypocrite's choice.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 10:19:41 PM
So ... moving on. Please keep the questions coming. Ignore the guy who claims to have a girlfriend he's seeing tonight but keeps posting on this thread. ;)
collegekitchen6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 10:20:14 PM
At 3/5/2010 10:15:45 PM, Volkov wrote:
Volkov: doesn't really laugh at anything, contributes nothing to anything but belittles others who contribute everything, never been banned because its better to take it in the asss by a hick from california than express your true opinion about the betterment of a community who you supposedly want to be Vice President of, clearly a yes man as he doesn't have what it takes to run for president but is clearly more charismatic than his running mate, clearly jealous that he can't maintain a steady relationship.

Volkov - the unhumorous, Yes-Man's choice.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 10:23:51 PM
At 3/5/2010 10:20:14 PM, collegekitchen6 wrote:
At 3/5/2010 10:15:45 PM, Volkov wrote:
Volkov: doesn't really laugh at anything, contributes nothing to anything but belittles others who contribute everything, never been banned because its better to take it in the asss by a hick from california than express your true opinion about the betterment of a community who you supposedly want to be Vice President of, clearly a yes man as he doesn't have what it takes to run for president but is clearly more charismatic than his running mate, clearly jealous that he can't maintain a steady relationship.

Volkov - the unhumorous, Yes-Man's choice.

Shouldn't you go pay attention to your "girlfriend"? Lord help you if you're seen as paying more attention to a website than her. Oh, wait...