Jump to topic:

This looks fun. AMA

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 10:10:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm mishapqueen, and I'm willing to give my best shot at answering questions, provided that they stay PG13. :)

Warning, I don't know much about pop-culture, so there might be a few "I don't know's"
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 10:19:52 PM
Describe your education to date on (1) genetics, (2) evolution, (3) physics.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 10:25:39 PM
At 8/5/2014 10:19:52 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Describe your education to date on
(1) genetics,
I've read some books about it, and have studied it some in science.
(2) evolution,
Listened to lots of talks on it and read books on it from evolutionary and creation perspectives.
(3) physics.
Very little.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 12:24:36 AM
5 most favorite books?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 2:17:49 AM
At 8/5/2014 10:10:15 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
I'm mishapqueen, and I'm willing to give my best shot at answering questions, provided that they stay PG13. :)

Warning, I don't know much about pop-culture, so there might be a few "I don't know's"

Did you order a code red?

I want the truth!!!!
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 3:17:38 AM
At 8/5/2014 10:25:39 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
(1) genetics,

Do you understand how mutation works?

(2) evolution,
Listened to lots of talks on it and read books on it from evolutionary and creation perspectives.

If you understand how mutations work, how can you not believe that if enough mutations accumulate, a new species is created?

What are some examples of the books you've read on evolution written by evolutionists?

(3) physics.
Very little.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 9:14:27 AM
At 8/6/2014 12:24:36 AM, bsh1 wrote:
5 most favorite books?

Ooohh. Hard.

Sherwood Ring, Little white horse, Wrinkle in Time, Brave New World, and Follow my Leader...... I think. I really love books; it's hard to decide.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 9:15:06 AM
At 8/6/2014 2:17:49 AM, Wylted wrote:

I want the truth!!!!

I honestly have no clue what that is. So, probably not....

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 9:15:39 AM
At 8/6/2014 2:32:16 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Who are you?

A conservative, Christian, female noob. :)

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 9:20:52 AM
At 8/6/2014 3:17:38 AM, bluesteel wrote:
(1) genetics,

Yes, a little.

(2) evolution,

If you understand how mutations work, how can you not believe that if enough mutations accumulate, a new species is created?

Because mutations do not add information. They are mistakes in the genetic code.

What are some examples of the books you've read on evolution written by evolutionists?
Hard, because it has been awhile, and science isn't my thing.....The best I can think of off the top of my head is Spike Psarris, who used to be an evolutionist. I know I have read it from the evolutionary point of view because my history book and lots of other books explain it, and creationists try to quote directly from evolutionary sources.

(3) physics.
Very little.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 10:35:34 AM
At 8/6/2014 9:20:52 AM, mishapqueen wrote:
(1) genetics,

Yes, a little.

(2) evolution,

Because mutations do not add information. They are mistakes in the genetic code.

You could have been a mistake (an unplanned pregnancy). That doesn't make you not an "addition" to the world. Calling someone a "mistake" doesn't mean it has no value.

You're right though. Most mutations don't do anything. But some do. Just like not every alteration to the genetic code causes cancer, not every alteration causes any change in function. But some do. And when that function gives that particular species a survival or reproduction advantage, it becomes more prevalent a function in the species.

Hard, because it has been awhile, and science isn't my thing.....The best I can think of off the top of my head is Spike Psarris, who used to be an evolutionist. I know I have read it from the evolutionary point of view because my history book and lots of other books explain it, and creationists try to quote directly from evolutionary sources.

Calling someone a "former" evolutionist doesn't make them someone who is pro-evolution. And reading a Creationist book that "quotes" evolutionists isn't the same as reading a pro-evolution book because it's quoting those passages out of context (to refute them) and you're not getting the full picture. Richard Dawkins quotes from the Bible in The God Delusion. Would you say that if I read The God Delusion, I've essentially read the Bible? No. So how can you say that reading a Creationist book that quotes "evolutionists" is the same as reading pro-evolution books? Answer: it's not.

I suggest you read The Greatest Show on Earth, The Red Queen, and The Selfish Gene. Otherwise, you're definitely rejecting something you don't really understand.

(3) physics.
Very little.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 10:38:22 AM
Calling *something* a mistake doesn't mean it has no value.

The discovery of antibiotics was also a "mistake."
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 10:41:50 AM
At 8/6/2014 10:35:34 AM, bluesteel wrote:
(1) genetics,

Yes, a little.

(2) evolution,

You could have been a mistake (an unplanned pregnancy). That doesn't make you not an "addition" to the world. Calling someone a "mistake" doesn't mean it has no value.

You're right though. Most mutations don't do anything. But some do. Just like not every alteration to the genetic code causes cancer, not every alteration causes any change in function. But some do. And when that function gives that particular species a survival or reproduction advantage, it becomes more prevalent a function in the species.

https://answersingenesis.org...

Calling someone a "former" evolutionist doesn't make them someone who is pro-evolution. And reading a Creationist book that "quotes" evolutionists isn't the same as reading a pro-evolution book because it's quoting those passages out of context (to refute them) and you're not getting the full picture. Richard Dawkins quotes from the Bible in The God Delusion. Would you say that if I read The God Delusion, I've essentially read the Bible? No. So how can you say that reading a Creationist book that quotes "evolutionists" is the same as reading pro-evolution books? Answer: it's not.
Ok.

I suggest you read The Greatest Show on Earth, The Red Queen, and The Selfish Gene. Otherwise, you're definitely rejecting something you don't really understand.
I'll try to, if I have time. I'm pretty busy.

(3) physics.
Very little.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 10:42:19 AM
At 8/6/2014 10:38:22 AM, bluesteel wrote:
Calling *something* a mistake doesn't mean it has no value.

The discovery of antibiotics was also a "mistake."

I never said it had no value.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 10:43:02 AM
Basically, imagine that this is a gene:

AGGCCATCAGT

It could be that altering any of the nucleotides, except the second C, will either do nothing or result in the gene no longer working. But if you change the second C to a T, suddenly the gene does something new.

So if gamma radiation causes this to happen:

A(C)GCCATCAGT

Then it's just a "mistake" and doesn't do anything.

But if radiation causes this to happen:

AGGC(G)ATCAGT

Suddenly the gene does something different.

It might take a long time for that particular mutation to happen, but it will eventually.
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 10:47:49 AM

I see your profile says you like Frozen. Would you create an unofficial synopsis for a Frozen sequel? Nao XD
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 10:49:42 AM
At 8/6/2014 10:47:49 AM, ThoughtsandThoughts wrote:

I see your profile says you like Frozen. Would you create an unofficial synopsis for a Frozen sequel? Nao XD

Elsa's throne is challenged by a mysterious rival, who turns the people against her. I honestly don't know....

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 10:52:47 AM
At 8/6/2014 10:41:50 AM, mishapqueen wrote:
(1) genetics,

Yes, a little.

(2) evolution,

First of all, what's the point of having a discussion about something if your response is just to link to "answers in genesis."

Second, what makes Kenneth Patman a "highly qualified biologist" as this source claims?

Third, he claims Darwin subscribed to Lamarkian beliefs, which is absurd, and even if true, that doesn't invalidate evolution. Darwin was the first to posit natural selection, but he didn't understand how genetics worked so he didn't have the full picture.

Fourth, this source just *asserts* that genetic mutation isn't enough to see all the species we have today. Patman posits that God created a bunch of species and natural selection acted on them to create all the *different* species we see today. It doesn't even claim that natural selection is *false*, just that "it couldn't happen that fast," which I think presumes the Creationist belief that the Earth is 6000 years old. True, if the Earth is 6000 years old, evolution is false. That's not long enough for it to work. But this particular Creationist belief is the most absurd of them all.

Fifth, Patman has about a 8th grade writing style, so I'm not surprised this isn't a published piece. This is why answers in genesis isn't a legitimate source.

Ok.

(3) physics.
Very little.
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 10:56:00 AM
At 8/6/2014 10:49:42 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

Elsa's throne is challenged by a mysterious rival, who turns the people against her. I honestly don't know....

Ahaha, I just thought it would be a fun, silly challenge :3
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 12:41:38 PM
At 8/6/2014 10:52:47 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 8/6/2014 10:41:50 AM, mishapqueen wrote:
(1) genetics,

Yes, a little.

(2) evolution,

First of all, what's the point of having a discussion about something if your response is just to link to "answers in genesis."

Second, what makes Kenneth Patman a "highly qualified biologist" as this source claims?

Third, he claims Darwin subscribed to Lamarkian beliefs, which is absurd, and even if true, that doesn't invalidate evolution. Darwin was the first to posit natural selection, but he didn't understand how genetics worked so he didn't have the full picture.

Fourth, this source just *asserts* that genetic mutation isn't enough to see all the species we have today. Patman posits that God created a bunch of species and natural selection acted on them to create all the *different* species we see today. It doesn't even claim that natural selection is *false*, just that "it couldn't happen that fast," which I think presumes the Creationist belief that the Earth is 6000 years old. True, if the Earth is 6000 years old, evolution is false. That's not long enough for it to work. But this particular Creationist belief is the most absurd of them all.

Fifth, Patman has about a 8th grade writing style, so I'm not surprised this isn't a published piece. This is why answers in genesis isn't a legitimate source.

Ok. Honestly, I have had so many of these discussions, I'm rather sick of the topic. I'm sorry. It has just been beat into the dust so many times and never seems to really accomplish anything. Maybe I am wrong, but then again, I might be right. I would be more than happy to discuss your points, except I have heard so much about it, I find it tedious. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Ok.

(3) physics.
Very little.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 12:42:32 PM
At 8/6/2014 10:56:00 AM, ThoughtsandThoughts wrote:
At 8/6/2014 10:49:42 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

Ahaha, I just thought it would be a fun, silly challenge :3

It was an interesting one. :)

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 1:05:45 PM

lol do you care about what people think of you (appearance wise, qualities, etc.)?
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 1:24:10 PM
At 8/6/2014 1:05:45 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

lol do you care about what people think of you (appearance wise, qualities, etc.)?

Actually, yes. I try not to, but I do. It's inconvenient.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 1:25:28 PM
At 8/6/2014 1:24:10 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

lol so who do you care about?
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 1:29:04 PM
At 8/6/2014 1:25:28 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Do you mean whose opinion I care about, or something else?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 1:29:22 PM
At 8/6/2014 1:29:04 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

right
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 1:31:05 PM
At 8/6/2014 1:29:22 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/6/2014 1:29:04 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

right

I care about my families opinions, particularly my dad's and my closest friends. A random person on here calling me stupid doesn't bother me too much, but if a close friend said it, it would hurt.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 2:11:39 PM

I want the truth!!!!

You know you can't handle it.
My work here is, finally, done.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 2:14:02 PM
At 8/6/2014 2:11:39 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I want the truth!!!!

You know you can't handle it.

I know :(