Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Logical Fallacies

Preston
Posts: 1,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 10:52:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So obviously logical fallacies are bad, and on DDO, pointing them out is enough to discredit an argument but in real life how do you argue logical fallacies? I don't feel like its enough to just point it out.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 11:00:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/7/2014 10:52:51 AM, Preston wrote:
So obviously logical fallacies are bad, and on DDO, pointing them out is enough to discredit an argument but in real life how do you argue logical fallacies? I don't feel like its enough to just point it out.

I've noticed that people will often just name a fallacy without explaining a) how it's a fallacy and b) what it means for their opponent's conclusion. Unless it's completely obvious, you need to analyze how a given fallacy affects an overall argument. For some reason, certain people think dropping debate terms constitutes an actual argument. It doesn't.
whiteflame
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 11:49:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/7/2014 11:00:18 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/7/2014 10:52:51 AM, Preston wrote:
So obviously logical fallacies are bad, and on DDO, pointing them out is enough to discredit an argument but in real life how do you argue logical fallacies? I don't feel like its enough to just point it out.

I've noticed that people will often just name a fallacy without explaining a) how it's a fallacy and b) what it means for their opponent's conclusion. Unless it's completely obvious, you need to analyze how a given fallacy affects an overall argument. For some reason, certain people think dropping debate terms constitutes an actual argument. It doesn't.

Agreed, and usually the point of a fallacy is to make stating both of those things very easy. There are a lot of people, though, who just shout "straw man," "slippery slope," "red herring," and "false dichotomy" in order to make people think that the words themselves hold meaning, but they're not sufficient. The same holds true outside of this website. If you're going to say that someone's argument is a slippery slope, explain how it meets that view, and then why it should be disregarded for that reason. It works.
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 11:50:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/7/2014 11:49:50 AM, whiteflame wrote:
At 8/7/2014 11:00:18 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 8/7/2014 10:52:51 AM, Preston wrote:
So obviously logical fallacies are bad, and on DDO, pointing them out is enough to discredit an argument but in real life how do you argue logical fallacies? I don't feel like its enough to just point it out.

I've noticed that people will often just name a fallacy without explaining a) how it's a fallacy and b) what it means for their opponent's conclusion. Unless it's completely obvious, you need to analyze how a given fallacy affects an overall argument. For some reason, certain people think dropping debate terms constitutes an actual argument. It doesn't.

Agreed, and usually the point of a fallacy is to make stating both of those things very easy. There are a lot of people, though, who just shout "straw man," "slippery slope," "red herring," and "false dichotomy" in order to make people think that the words themselves hold meaning, but they're not sufficient. The same holds true outside of this website. If you're going to say that someone's argument is a slippery slope, explain how it meets that view, and then why it should be disregarded for that reason. It works.

I agree with this view 100%.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right