*Presidential Update -- Week 8*

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 6:33:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hi DDO!

It's an update-light week ; unfortunately, my hopes in regards to the outreach group have been somewhat dashed for the moment, but optimism springs eternal. One third of the way into my administration. I hope you guys are happy with it.

Oh, btw, just as a side note, there are no debates in the voting period right now that are voteless (well, except for 3 unvotable nonprophet debates and a judge rap battle that I'm not a judge for). Just mentioning it. I'd like to thank everyone who's voted, and of course extend thanks to whiteflame and his group.

As always, if your debate is getting to the end of its voting period and has no votes, please send me a PM, and it'll get one. I'm also usually up for just voting on a debate in general, too, though obviously I gots to prioritize.

I've been as transparent as I can be, I think--there just hasn't been that much to be transparent about, which, is actually kind of nice, since it means that there haven't been all that many problems (the attack of the recurring spammers notwithstanding). So, in lieu of keeping it short (because, c'mon, when am I good at THAT?), I'd like to reach out:

What more should I be doing? What would you like to see? I've got 2/3 of my administration left, and I want to get everything I can get done to make people happier, done.

Please bear in mind: "cleaning up the spam" is not something I can do on my own. I can advocate for it, but I can't do it. The same goes for site improvements. Of course I'd like to work for them, but I can't promise them.

So, DDO, what do you want from me?

This week's Site Tip:

All about profiles (so, technically, several different tips)!

Closed accounts:

If you see a closed account, you might wonder whether they were banned or closed it on their own (did you know you can close your account? You can. But, y'know, please don't, I'm not advocating people leave). There's a way to tell the difference!

If it says: "[User]'s account is no longer active.", the user closed their own account.

If it says: "[User]'s account has been closed.", then they were closed by the powers that be.

Age and gender

If you set up your age or gender wrong when you first set up your account for some reason, and want to change them, you might be tempted to click the "edit my profile" button, where you'll see that it's not an option. So where is it an option? In your "settings". Because ... because. The first page of your settings is also where you can connect to Facebook and Twitter, and where you can deactivate your account.

Notifications and emails

Also in settings are some tabs, including my personal 2 favorite ones: Notifications and Emails. The Notification tab lets you set what kind of things you want to be notified about. For example, I have turned on "Send me one aggregate notification for new debates in the voting period in all categories."

In Emails, you can turn off receiving emails--which doesn't affect your notifications in the little flag on your profile. I used to get so many emails.....

Anyway, as always, contact me or bsh1 with any questions, comments, or concerns. And if you have any site trivia questions, or site history questions, send those in, too, and they might be on next week's update! (I'm actually thinking on doing a bit of history on the next one, since I've been doing exclusively site tips and tricks so far).
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 6:39:37 PM
At 8/9/2014 6:33:13 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Hi DDO!

It's an update-light week ; unfortunately, my hopes in regards to the outreach group have been somewhat dashed for the moment, but optimism springs eternal. One third of the way into my administration. I hope you guys are happy with it.

Oh, btw, just as a side note, there are no debates in the voting period right now that are voteless (well, except for 3 unvotable nonprophet debates and a judge rap battle that I'm not a judge for). Just mentioning it. I'd like to thank everyone who's voted, and of course extend thanks to whiteflame and his group.

As always, if your debate is getting to the end of its voting period and has no votes, please send me a PM, and it'll get one. I'm also usually up for just voting on a debate in general, too, though obviously I gots to prioritize.

I've been as transparent as I can be, I think--there just hasn't been that much to be transparent about, which, is actually kind of nice, since it means that there haven't been all that many problems (the attack of the recurring spammers notwithstanding). So, in lieu of keeping it short (because, c'mon, when am I good at THAT?), I'd like to reach out:

What more should I be doing? What would you like to see? I've got 2/3 of my administration left, and I want to get everything I can get done to make people happier, done.

Please bear in mind: "cleaning up the spam" is not something I can do on my own. I can advocate for it, but I can't do it. The same goes for site improvements. Of course I'd like to work for them, but I can't promise them.

This week's Site Tip:

Closed accounts:

If you see a closed account, you might wonder whether they were banned or closed it on their own (did you know you can close your account? You can. But, y'know, please don't, I'm not advocating people leave). There's a way to tell the difference!

If it says: "[User]'s account is no longer active.", the user closed their own account.

If it says: "[User]'s account has been closed.", then they were closed by the powers that be.

Age and gender

If you set up your age or gender wrong when you first set up your account for some reason, and want to change them, you might be tempted to click the "edit my profile" button, where you'll see that it's not an option. So where is it an option? In your "settings". Because ... because. The first page of your settings is also where you can connect to Facebook and Twitter, and where you can deactivate your account.

Notifications and emails

Also in settings are some tabs, including my personal 2 favorite ones: Notifications and Emails. The Notification tab lets you set what kind of things you want to be notified about. For example, I have turned on "Send me one aggregate notification for new debates in the voting period in all categories."

In Emails, you can turn off receiving emails--which doesn't affect your notifications in the little flag on your profile. I used to get so many emails.....

Anyway, as always, contact me or bsh1 with any questions, comments, or concerns. And if you have any site trivia questions, or site history questions, send those in, too, and they might be on next week's update! (I'm actually thinking on doing a bit of history on the next one, since I've been doing exclusively site tips and tricks so far).

Thank you for all your hard work on our behalves. We appreciate it.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 6:42:00 PM
This week's Site Tip:

Closed accounts:

Umm... God? :P

--

Keep up the great work!
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 7:33:05 PM
Keep pushing the front page debates being chosen by likes. There is already a like button and it actually benefits juggle, because seeing a bunch of good debates on the front page will reduce bounce rates.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 8:12:53 PM
Wow...that's a lot of gender options considering that there are really only four:
1. Male
2. Female
3. Hermaphrodite
4. Eunuch
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 10:38:11 PM
At 8/9/2014 6:42:00 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
This week's Site Tip:

Closed accounts:

Of course. Didn't you know that Airmax is God?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:18:34 AM
At 8/9/2014 10:38:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/9/2014 6:42:00 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
This week's Site Tip:

Closed accounts:

Of course. Didn't you know that Airmax is God?

I should have used that argument for my larz debate.
Equestrian election

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 8:02:29 AM
At 8/9/2014 6:33:13 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Hi DDO!

This week's Site Tip:

Closed accounts:

Age and gender

Notifications and emails

Stricter regulations enforced concerning weak or bias RFD's, A zero tolerance stance against anybody who abuses their voting privileges. Maybe two warnings for the sake of those who need to be taught how to vote and then your out policy.

At the moment it is to easy to violate a debaters stance with an apparent bias or semantic vote, Pro made more convincing arguments, should not be enough to justify an RFD.

I would like to see the issue seriously tackled and believe it would hugely benefit the integrity of the site as well as those who choose to debate.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 3:35:59 PM
Success of the week:
Jifpop left.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.