Jump to topic:

For this upcoming semester...

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:34:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I would wish everyone good luck, but only to the extent that you each make your own luck. And luck is easy to make, too. Work hard, and utilize every opportunity. Do not put off until tomorrow what you can accomplish today, and put every minute of every day to good use. There is nothing worse than being into a semester and realizing that you have let time pass you by that you squandered.

As always, if anyone needs help or advice with academic or personal stuff please PM me when that comes up. College is hard, academically and emotionally, and you've all got people here who care about you and want you to do well. I've helped a few of you with college application stuff and I'm happy to do the same throughout the year. But, especially if you find that you're having a hard time adjusting to college, you've got roommate issues, etc. just remember that I've been there and I'm always willing to listen. I really want all of you to be as successful as you are individually capable of being.

Peace and Love,

YYW
Tsar of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:35:04 PM
This is really sweet.

<3 u
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:37:45 PM
Troll response b'c you're awesome and I wanna make you smile right now:

So you'll do my home-work for me then? *puppy dog eyes*
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:39:13 PM
At 8/17/2014 9:35:04 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
This is really sweet.

<3 u
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:42:33 PM
At 8/17/2014 9:37:45 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Troll response b'c you're awesome and I wanna make you smile right now:

So you'll do my home-work for me then? *puppy dog eyes*

No, but I'll help you get better at doing it efficiently :)
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 10:29:50 PM
That's kind of you.
Seriously, what are you YYW? Why is it that I once thought you were the most obnoxious and condescending person on this site?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 10:32:54 PM
At 8/17/2014 10:29:50 PM, 000ike wrote:
That's kind of you.
Seriously, what are you YYW? Why is it that I once thought you were the most obnoxious and condescending person on this site?

haha sometimes I can be obnoxious and condescending... but I've grown up a lot since I first joined. I was 19 when I joined (maybe?) and I'm almost 23 now.
Tsar of DDO
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 11:40:51 PM
Oof, the struggle to figure out what colleges to apply to is real.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 11:46:41 PM
At 8/17/2014 11:40:51 PM, SolonKR wrote:

What schools are you thinking about?
Tsar of DDO
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 12:08:04 AM
At 8/17/2014 11:46:41 PM, YYW wrote:

I'm in the awkward range in terms of grades and scores and activities; I'm good enough for selective schools, but not good enough for Ivy Leagues. I'm going to shoot for the moon a la sending an application to Yale; my SATs were 2240 and I'm in the top 10% of my class, but I'd be extremely surprised if I actually made it. I have a 3.6 GPA unweighted. Oberlin College in Ohio is one of the stars to land on; their double-degree program with a dedicated conservatory is enticing to me, since I want to continue my passion for music while taking a history major. St. John's College in Santa Fe, NM looks interesting as well; their multi-discipline education strikes me as something that will help me be more understanding as a person, which is ultimately what I seek from a college education; money is not what I'm going for. UNH and ASU are fall-back plans if finances go awry; plus, UNH has a spectacular music program.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a school that has a good mix of music and history; those are two things I'm most interested in. 3rd place would go to Poli Sci. I sent my AP scores to Oberlin; in retrospect, that probably hurt my chances at more selective schools, but it's truthfully more attractive to me than Yale; on the other hand, while I consider myself liberal economically/libertarian socially, I think I would suffocate under the flamingly liberal environment that Oberlin is. On the other hand, maybe the fact that they're so liberal means I could just argue repeatedly about gun control. I'd rather have a growing experience than a pat on the back, and I think a more conservative institution would be more challenging to my beliefs (though I MAY have laughed at my grandparents when they talked about Liberty University...). These are the questions that rack my brain. Plus, Oberlin has a reputation for being ridiculously expensive, which the numbers back up *shudders*. If I don't get something near a full ride, I'm going to be in debt for a very, very, very long time.

I'm retaking the SATs and SAT IIs this fall, so I have a second shot, and the 4 schools I choose for free reports are ultimately going to be the final four choices.

I'll probably jot down a list of ten schools and do eeny-meeny-miney-mo.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 12:12:58 AM
At 8/18/2014 12:08:04 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 8/17/2014 11:46:41 PM, YYW wrote:

I'm in the awkward range in terms of grades and scores and activities; I'm good enough for selective schools, but not good enough for Ivy Leagues. I'm going to shoot for the moon a la sending an application to Yale; my SATs were 2240 and I'm in the top 10% of my class, but I'd be extremely surprised if I actually made it. I have a 3.6 GPA unweighted. Oberlin College in Ohio is one of the stars to land on; their double-degree program with a dedicated conservatory is enticing to me, since I want to continue my passion for music while taking a history major. St. John's College in Santa Fe, NM looks interesting as well; their multi-discipline education strikes me as something that will help me be more understanding as a person, which is ultimately what I seek from a college education; money is not what I'm going for. UNH and ASU are fall-back plans if finances go awry; plus, UNH has a spectacular music program.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a school that has a good mix of music and history; those are two things I'm most interested in. 3rd place would go to Poli Sci. I sent my AP scores to Oberlin; in retrospect, that probably hurt my chances at more selective schools, but it's truthfully more attractive to me than Yale; on the other hand, while I consider myself liberal economically/libertarian socially, I think I would suffocate under the flamingly liberal environment that Oberlin is. On the other hand, maybe the fact that they're so liberal means I could just argue repeatedly about gun control. I'd rather have a growing experience than a pat on the back, and I think a more conservative institution would be more challenging to my beliefs (though I MAY have laughed at my grandparents when they talked about Liberty University...). These are the questions that rack my brain. Plus, Oberlin has a reputation for being ridiculously expensive, which the numbers back up *shudders*. If I don't get something near a full ride, I'm going to be in debt for a very, very, very long time.

I'm retaking the SATs and SAT IIs this fall, so I have a second shot, and the 4 schools I choose for free reports are ultimately going to be the final four choices.

I'll probably jot down a list of ten schools and do eeny-meeny-miney-mo.

Do you want to go to grad school?
Tsar of DDO
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 12:19:05 AM
At 8/18/2014 12:12:58 AM, YYW wrote:

For history, yes.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 12:23:39 AM
At 8/18/2014 12:19:05 AM, SolonKR wrote:

For history, yes.

What do you think you want to do when you grow up?
Tsar of DDO
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 12:25:39 AM
At 8/18/2014 12:23:39 AM, YYW wrote:

For history, yes.

Either something political, something research-y, or something teach-y.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 12:30:08 AM
At 8/18/2014 12:25:39 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 8/18/2014 12:23:39 AM, YYW wrote:

For history, yes.

Either something political, something research-y, or something teach-y.

I've got some ideas based on what you told me, but we should probably talk more about this via PM. Shoot me a message tomorrow and we'll talk some more about it.
Tsar of DDO