Jump to topic:

Petition to allow call out threads

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:56:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Any would have to be carefully executed, perhaps even with a request to the moderator (Airmax) prior to starting it...

1. Mikal
2. Ragnar
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:57:14 PM
At 8/26/2014 5:15:35 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
You make too many enemies.

+1
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 6:05:56 PM
At 8/26/2014 5:56:34 PM, Ragnar wrote:
Any would have to be carefully executed, perhaps even with a request to the moderator (Airmax) prior to starting it...

1. Mikal
2. Ragnar
3. UchihaMadara

if someone is being a jerk, we should be allowed to call them out for it.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:55:32 PM
At 8/26/2014 6:05:56 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:

1. Mikal
2. Ragnar
3. UchihaMadara
4. BOT

It'd be fun. Don't call-out threads already happen though?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:03:53 PM
At 8/26/2014 9:55:32 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

1. Mikal
2. Ragnar
3. UchihaMadara
4. BOT
5. SamStevens

It may be interesting to see drama unfold.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:04:07 PM

1. Mikal
2. Ragnar
3. UchihaMadara
4. BOT

i believe that the mod deletes them, no?
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:05:57 PM
Not that I support call out threads, they are actually really funny to read.

Count me in on this petition!
How come when I hit review it sometimes adds my post without me clicking add post?
Does this happen to other people?

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Learn to use emoticons DDO.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:14:49 PM
1. Mikal
2. Ragnar
3. UchihaMadara
4. BOT
5. truth_seeker
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:15:36 PM
At 8/26/2014 5:13:16 PM, Mikal wrote:
it needs to happen

1. Mikal

Who do you want to call out now?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:16:18 PM
At 8/26/2014 10:14:49 PM, bluesteel wrote:
1. Mikal
2. Ragnar
3. UchihaMadara
4. BOT
5. truth_seeker

I see that you didn't add your name to this list.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:43:18 PM
As best I can tell, call out threads serve about four functions:

1. Catharsis: They allow discontented members to articulate the nature of their discontent against some other member or members who they've got a beef with.

2. Festivus-like airing of grievances: They give other members who may have similar grievances with the named member or with other members or members who have different grievances with the named member a platform to voice those. Unfortunately, the unadorned aluminum pole is not included.

3. Spectacle: These things are really dramatic, and they announce to other members the kinds of behavior and conduct which are likely to result in public censure. That may, though does not necessarily, discourage such behavior.

4. Opprobrium: If other members participate in the call out thread and in participation voice their agreement with the OP that the subject of the OP's call-out thread did something unfortunate, these can result in the social sanction of the offending member.

All of these, I think, are things that -at least viscerally- most of us want when we feel like someone's done wrong by us in some way. I am no different. I think there would have been a time where I would have supported this. In fact, I've made a few call out threads myself. Four come to mind, specifically. They were all before the new moderation policy, though. There was definitely a time when I'd be totally down for call out threads, too.

But, I have some concerns about them too. Is the OP's feeling relieved worth the drama he's going to create? Maybe, depending on how high a cost you think drama imposes on the forum. I think it's a lot less than most people do, but I think that my opinion should probably defer to the majority in this case because high-drama and high-social anxiety situations aren't circumstances in which most people enjoy finding themselves.

Does airing of grievances in a public forum really accomplish anything productive? If there were unique issues that came up with each new thread, then maybe they would. But, I've never seen a call out thread where the principle advanced in them was "don't be a jackass." And yet, usually OP's are jackasses when they tell people not to be jackasses -myself included. I can be a 'real' jackass, too, when I put my mind to it. Just ask Airmax... lol. So, I don't really see a whole lot of good that comes from publicly announcing some form of "don't be a jackass," especially not when the doing of it often makes a jackass of the OP.

Does public opprobrium often deter other people from being jackasses? Well, the degree of conflict was no less when we didn't sharply sanction call out threads than it is now. That seems like a natural experiment which showed that when we allow these things, rather than deterring people from acting like jackasses, it tends to give rise to jackassery in a very interesting way. Let's say that Mikal has a serious issue with another member, and that he's justified in making that thread. I mean, I'm sure that there must be some circumstance where -as an isolated case- a call out thread would be totally justified. But, let's say that I call thett a douchebag the next day. Does thett get to make a call out thread? Let's say I give RoyLatham a loss in a debate (because hey, it might happen) and Roy feels like my vote is unfair. Does he get to make a call out thread? If the policy is to allow them, then yeah, they all do. The really serious conflicts get muddied up in the stupid crap and no real interest in affirming community standards is served. Instead, it just becomes a forum for everyone to talk about how much of a jackass everyone else is. And... that's not good.

To the final one: opprobrium. Is public censure a good thing? For some people, yeah, it probably is. There is almost no motivator more powerful than fear of public humiliation. It seems like the costs are relatively low, too. After all, it's not like we have our real names on here (or, most of us don't, anyway). But, that kind of makes jackasses of all of us -in all but a few cases. It also doesn't actually resolve conflicts, it just makes them boil over while laying the stage for more conflicts to come to a head and boil over, while laying the stage for more conflicts to come to a head and boil over. That doesn't seem like something we want either.

So, there might have been a time I was totally down for these... but not now. I'd rather bad members just leave, because they're not wanted. And if they're not going to leave, may karma get them. It always does. I have more important things to do, anyway -well, usually.
Tsar of DDO
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:50:26 PM
1. Mikal
2. Ragnar
3. UchihaMadara
4. BOT
5. truth_seeker
6. SamStevens
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 3:21:19 PM
At 8/26/2014 10:04:07 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:

1. Mikal
2. Ragnar
3. UchihaMadara
4. BOT

i believe that the mod deletes them, no?

I've seen several throughout my time here. So i'd say most of the time yes, but not always. Also depends on how often you are on DDO and are able to see new threads before they get deleted.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 3:30:10 PM
At 8/26/2014 5:13:16 PM, Mikal wrote:
it needs to happen

1. Mikal

How about we do POSITIVE call out threads?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 8:21:47 PM
As Hillary Clinton would say "What difference would it make" to call someone out?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 2:13:13 AM
At 8/26/2014 10:50:26 PM, SamStevens wrote:
1. Mikal
2. Ragnar
3. UchihaMadara
4. BOT
5. truth_seeker
6. SamStevens
7. mishapqueen
8. Ajab
9. Ajabi
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 8:50:47 AM
At 8/26/2014 5:15:35 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
You make too many enemies.

Lol, I know this is referring to someone else and has nothing to do with me, but I have made quite a few enemies myself. It seems it is what I was made to do.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 9:01:01 AM
At 8/29/2014 2:13:13 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 8/26/2014 10:50:26 PM, SamStevens wrote:
1. Mikal
2. Ragnar
3. UchihaMadara
4. BOT
5. truth_seeker
6. SamStevens
7. mishapqueen
8. Ajab
9. Ajabi
10. Lannan13
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~