Jump to topic:

The Word of the Resolution

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 8:10:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Am I wrong in thinking that this is the criteria that debaters should use when formulating their arguments? I personally don't think that someone's intent for the resolution should matter if that intent goes against the word of the resulution, unless both debators agree to argue from the intent. The contendor accepts the debate based on the word of the resolution. Why should they 'suffer' because of a mistake made by the creator of the debate. I have personally been in three debates that were like this. If the instigator's intent for the debate had been effectively outlined in the resolution I would not have taken these debtes. Is it really unreasonable for me to not accept the change of resolution?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 8:49:22 PM
Arguing semantics is, like, so v2.

Seriously, if the intent is clear, then go with it. Doing otherwise is a d1ck move.

If the intent is unclear, feel free to ask your opponent. It's a much better course of action than just assuming something and being wrong. I mean, I understand your plight: the original misunderstanding is your opponent's fault. But so what? Be better than your opponent, and most importantly, always show respect.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 8:50:26 PM
At 3/16/2010 8:49:22 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Arguing semantics is, like, so v2.

Seriously, if the intent is clear, then go with it. Doing otherwise is a d1ck move.

If the intent is unclear, feel free to ask your opponent. It's a much better course of action than just assuming something and being wrong. I mean, I understand your plight: the original misunderstanding is your opponent's fault. But so what? Be better than your opponent, and most importantly, always show respect.

but its more fun to take advantage of the instigator's sloppiness :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...