*Presidential Update -- Week 11*

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 12:33:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hi folks!

It's that time again--another weekly update.

This week, I'd like to remind everyone that it is my intention to see to it that, during my presidency, EVERY debate gets voted on. In some cases, this may be impossible--there are some debates that have been set up specifically to limit who can vote on them, and I can't guarantee votes on those!

But at present, almost all debates have votes. There are less than 10 voteable debates without votes, and I can confidently assert that they'll have votes--they still have quite a bit of time left on them (mostly having been finished today--originally, I was going to be able to say that every votable debate except one had votes).

I'd like to highlight this debate for folks to vote on (it's the "one" mentioned above):

http://www.debate.org...

And a note on moderation, this week.

Derailing of debates is when you take a debate just to troll it--or at the least with no intention of actually doing a debate on the resolution. Sometimes there is a fine line between unconventional arguments and simple trolling. Some debates are truisms, and definitely require a degree of latitude to have any chance of a "legitimate" debate. Some resolutions are otherwise abusive.

But sometimes there is not a fine line. The moderator are capable of seeing if a member is simply ruining the debate by entirely ignoring the spirit of it.

Please don't be the person who has to get talked to because you're ruining debates--or the person who has to get banned for it.

And a note on voting. Some debates are entirely subjective. An example is a rap battle, or a story debate. The thing about those debates is that, because they're entirely subjective, judges have a great deal of latitude in how they score it. They can legitimately come down to mere preference--because that's the very thing under debate. While the moderators look at every report they're given, please understand that reporting a vote on a debate which is entirely subjective is unlikely to get much of a response.

And a final note on moderation: there has been a bit of an uptick of "wrong forum" posts. It can't be stressed enough that there are sections of the forum for a reason. The DDO section is not a catchall for everything. The Miscellaneous section is, if you need a catchall. Otherwise, please post in the proper forum. Personal items go in the Personal section. Religious posts go in the Religion section. In the near future (the next week or two), enforcement of proper sections is going to begin--and threads will not be moved. They will be deleted. So please start posting in the proper forum for your thread.

You can message airmax1227 directly if you have any questions about this--he is the moderator after all.

As always, reach out to me or my VP bsh1 with any questions, comments, or concerns. If you have a debate that, for some reason, is voteless, shoot me a message.

No tips, tricks, or history this week--I just hope everyone has a safe and happy Labor Day weekend! (If anyone has any tips or has any history questions, let me know!)
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 12:41:35 AM
Keep up the awesome job E!
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 2:20:48 AM
At 8/31/2014 12:33:09 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Hi folks!

It's that time again--another weekly update.

This week, I'd like to remind everyone that it is my intention to see to it that, during my presidency, EVERY debate gets voted on. In some cases, this may be impossible--there are some debates that have been set up specifically to limit who can vote on them, and I can't guarantee votes on those!

But at present, almost all debates have votes. There are less than 10 voteable debates without votes, and I can confidently assert that they'll have votes--they still have quite a bit of time left on them (mostly having been finished today--originally, I was going to be able to say that every votable debate except one had votes).

I'd like to highlight this debate for folks to vote on (it's the "one" mentioned above):

http://www.debate.org...

And a note on moderation, this week.

Derailing of debates is when you take a debate just to troll it--or at the least with no intention of actually doing a debate on the resolution. Sometimes there is a fine line between unconventional arguments and simple trolling. Some debates are truisms, and definitely require a degree of latitude to have any chance of a "legitimate" debate. Some resolutions are otherwise abusive.

But sometimes there is not a fine line. The moderator are capable of seeing if a member is simply ruining the debate by entirely ignoring the spirit of it.

Please don't be the person who has to get talked to because you're ruining debates--or the person who has to get banned for it.

And a note on voting. Some debates are entirely subjective. An example is a rap battle, or a story debate. The thing about those debates is that, because they're entirely subjective, judges have a great deal of latitude in how they score it. They can legitimately come down to mere preference--because that's the very thing under debate. While the moderators look at every report they're given, please understand that reporting a vote on a debate which is entirely subjective is unlikely to get much of a response.

And a final note on moderation: there has been a bit of an uptick of "wrong forum" posts. It can't be stressed enough that there are sections of the forum for a reason. The DDO section is not a catchall for everything. The Miscellaneous section is, if you need a catchall. Otherwise, please post in the proper forum. Personal items go in the Personal section. Religious posts go in the Religion section. In the near future (the next week or two), enforcement of proper sections is going to begin--and threads will not be moved. They will be deleted. So please start posting in the proper forum for your thread.

You can message airmax1227 directly if you have any questions about this--he is the moderator after all.

As always, reach out to me or my VP bsh1 with any questions, comments, or concerns. If you have a debate that, for some reason, is voteless, shoot me a message.

No tips, tricks, or history this week--I just hope everyone has a safe and happy Labor Day weekend! (If anyone has any tips or has any history questions, let me know!)

Awesome, thanks airmax2.