Airmax Please!

Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 5:11:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Dear Airmax1227,

Due to the recent increase in spamming and advertising please implement a policy where only those who have an account which is verified can make posts in the debate.org forum. If you cannot do this please make a rule where one can only start one thread per fifteen minutes in the debate.org forum. I think I can speak for everyone when I say this is a grand nuisance.

I certainly know that if I were a person who logged into debate.org for the first time and saw stupid, superstitious adds on the front page I would take this site to be extremely nonsensical and never log back in. Please make this happen with Juggle, it is hardly difficult. So either a person has a verified account, or one has to wait fifteen minutes per new thread, or both really.

Faithfully Yours,
Ajab
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 5:18:16 AM
This is actually a pretty good idea, but the only problem is that legitimate people who find the site when, say, no mod is online would be discouraged from the site as they would be made to wait to post.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 5:18:50 AM
At 8/31/2014 5:11:35 AM, Ajabi wrote:
Dear Airmax1227,

Due to the recent increase in spamming and advertising please implement a policy where only those who have an account which is verified can make posts in the debate.org forum. If you cannot do this please make a rule where one can only start one thread per fifteen minutes in the debate.org forum.
I think it would be more preferable for verification.
I think I can speak for everyone when I say this is a grand nuisance.
Yes, you're right... the art section got completely spammed...

I certainly know that if I were a person who logged into debate.org for the first time and saw stupid, superstitious adds on the front page I would take this site to be extremely nonsensical and never log back in. Please make this happen with Juggle, it is hardly difficult. So either a person has a verified account, or one has to wait fifteen minutes per new thread, or both really.

Faithfully Yours,
Ajab
Somewhat seconded.
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 6:41:18 AM
Dear Airmax1227,

Due to the recent increase in spamming and advertising please implement a policy where only those who have an account which is verified can make posts in the debate.org forum. If you cannot do this please make a rule where one can only start one thread per fifteen minutes in the debate.org forum. I think I can speak for everyone when I say this is a grand nuisance.

Faithfully Yours,
Ajab

There is certainly a problem with the increase in ad spam, and it is something I spend a decent amount of time dealing with every day (I remove hundreds of threads, individual posts, debates, debate comments, polls, opinions etc a week that fall just in the single category of "Ad spam"). It has become enough of a problem that even though I remove nearly all of the posts within 24 hours, I have spent a lot of time considering and working on long-term and preventative solutions to mitigate many of the problems.

Several things have already been implemented that make it easier for me to deal with after the fact, but don't prevent them from appearing in the first place. To combat that, I have considered several ideas. The account verification idea isn't practical and I don't want to react to the issue in a way that prevents new members from enjoying the site right away. I believe doing so would be more harmful than beneficial. The new thread creation time limit is something I've given serious thought to, especially after I've just spent a large chunk of time deleting 100 threads created by a single account that has only existed for half an hour. That idea is one that I believe has merit, and is already something I've been considering for implementation. There are other aspects to consider, but ad spam is something that I deal with on a daily basis and that I have been working on solutions to. I appreciate that the posts and threads are extremely annoying, especially when they spam an entire page or two of a forum category. Because of this, I make sure to remove all ad spam that I can find every single day, and will continue to work on a practical long-term solution to see that its ability to be posted generally is significantly reduced.
Debate.org Moderator
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 6:46:14 AM
At 8/31/2014 6:41:18 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Dear Airmax1227,

Faithfully Yours,
Ajab

There is certainly a problem with the increase in ad spam, and it is something I spend a decent amount of time dealing with every day (I remove hundreds of threads, individual posts, debates, debate comments, polls, opinions etc a week that fall just in the single category of "Ad spam"). It has become enough of a problem that even though I remove nearly all of the posts within 24 hours, I have spent a lot of time considering and working on long-term and preventative solutions to mitigate many of the problems.

Several things have already been implemented that make it easier for me to deal with after the fact, but don't prevent them from appearing in the first place. To combat that, I have considered several ideas. The account verification idea isn't practical and I don't want to react to the issue in a way that prevents new members from enjoying the site right away. I believe doing so would be more harmful than beneficial. The new thread creation time limit is something I've given serious thought to, especially after I've just spent a large chunk of time deleting 100 threads created by a single account that has only existed for half an hour. That idea is one that I believe has merit, and is already something I've been considering for implementation. There are other aspects to consider, but ad spam is something that I deal with on a daily basis and that I have been working on solutions to. I appreciate that the posts and threads are extremely annoying, especially when they spam an entire page or two of a forum category. Because of this, I make sure to remove all ad spam that I can find every single day, and will continue to work on a practical long-term solution to see that its ability to be posted generally is significantly reduced.

^ This is why I love our moderator. Yeah I think it would be good, I mean if they can only make one new post every 15 minutes, someone is bound to see it and report it. Also they usually come and place around 30 which would mean they would have to spend 450 minutes here during that time. The equivalent of 7.5 hours. I think it would help a lot. Thanks for the reply Maximilian.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 7:59:02 AM
Dear Airmax1227,

Faithfully Yours,
Ajab

Crap no; my account isn't verified!
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 8:52:23 AM
I know that I didn't get my account verified until a few months after joining because I didn't have a phone and I wasn't aware that AirMax could verify me. I feel like, as an new member, If I was intending to posy a lot, I would be turned off by not being able to post in the main forum. This is a good idea, but I feel like it would be better to have a different requirement for having to post.... something like filling out one's profile, instigating a debate, and other things that spammers wouldn't do.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 8:56:12 AM
At 8/31/2014 8:52:23 AM, debatability wrote:
I know that I didn't get my account verified until a few months after joining because I didn't have a phone and I wasn't aware that AirMax could verify me. I feel like, as an new member, If I was intending to posy a lot, I would be turned off by not being able to post in the main forum. This is a good idea, but I feel like it would be better to have a different requirement for having to post.... something like filling out one's profile, instigating a debate, and other things that spammers wouldn't do.

perhaps it could be you have to make 100 posts before you get to post here, remember we are talking about making a thread, not posting.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 9:16:08 AM
At 8/31/2014 8:56:12 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 8/31/2014 8:52:23 AM, debatability wrote:

perhaps it could be you have to make 100 posts before you get to post here, remember we are talking about making a thread, not posting.

I know, but generally new members seem to drift towards posting in the main thread (which I agree isn't a good thing because a lot of stuff they may post won't pertain specifically to DDO) having a number of required posts to make before posting in the DDO forum is actually a really good idea, though, I would say a number of 50 posts is more reasonable than 100.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 9:30:52 AM
The problem I see with this is:
If threads can't be created for 15 minutes, then the posts will just be in particular threads, thus derailing them. However, that isn't as bad as derailing an entire forum.

If posts are limited, that is just bad all around.
Mafia aside, I might make four or five posts in a 10 minutes period if I see topics I'd like to react to, or if I am responding in live time to another.
My work here is, finally, done.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 11:57:11 AM
The account verification idea isn't practical
Agreed.

The new thread creation time limit is something I've given serious thought to, especially after I've just spent a large chunk of time deleting 100 threads created by a single account that has only existed for half an hour.
I support this idea.
Rough numbers I would suggest:
1. No more than one thread created every half hour
2. In addition I would say no more than one debate created per hour. This would also help slow down slave accounts, at the price of making them slightly harder to spot. It would also encourage better proof reading of those vital first rounds.
3. Opinion questions and polls probably the one hour as well, as this is an intellectual site, forcing people to at least prioritize those posts seems beneficial even to those most affected.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 2:23:19 PM
Dear Airmax1227,

Faithfully Yours,
Ajab

Most of the spam offers services that cannot possibly be real. What do you think is the motivation of the spammers.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 2:38:13 PM
The one major problem I see with the time restriction on posting threads is that, even now, at any given time, ad spammers post from multiple different accounts, meaning that that kind of restriction wouldn't do much.

It may just be worthwhile to ask Juggle if they can impliment a system blocking certain content, like email addresses and phone numbers, if not posted by a verified user. Though I guess Juggle isn't known for their great filters (e.g. the curse-word filter), it might still work for a while before the spammers work a way around it.

I'm not even sure why they keep spamming the site, considering how I'm 100% certain that no one here, not even Dognox or whoever, is dim enough to call them. I guess if they've got it automated it wouldn't hurt to try, but still.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 2:51:34 PM
At 8/31/2014 9:30:52 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
The problem I see with this is:
If threads can't be created for 15 minutes, then the posts will just be in particular threads, thus derailing them. However, that isn't as bad as derailing an entire forum.

I've considered that, and it certainly creates a problem. The spammers are having to be increasingly more persistent and approach the spamming in different ways to avoid some of the methods I already employ. Just a few days ago a love spammer posted debate comments to about 100 different debates, likely hoping I wouldn't notice right away and that it would take a lot longer for the spam to be removed.

If posts are limited, that is just bad all around.
Mafia aside, I might make four or five posts in a 10 minutes period if I see topics I'd like to react to, or if I am responding in live time to another.

This isn't something I'm considering. Limiting thread creation is an entirely different thing that putting a limit on posts. I realize making five to ten posts within ten minutes isn't uncommon for legitimate members.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 2:58:07 PM
At 8/31/2014 2:23:19 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Dear Airmax1227,

Faithfully Yours,
Ajab

Most of the spam offers services that cannot possibly be real. What do you think is the motivation of the spammers.

Posting the types of spam that we see lately, most notably the astrology/love spells type ad spam, does seem counter-intuitive on a site like DDO because most members here are less likely to believe in that type of stuff, or fall for those types of scams to begin with. This however doesn't stop those spammers who simply want to advertise the service as much as possible (that spam is all over other forum websites as well). The motivation is money like all the other ad spam. By spamming the ads the business hopes it can gain new customers.
Debate.org Moderator
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 3:02:00 PM
At 8/31/2014 2:58:07 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Dear Airmax1227,

Faithfully Yours,
Ajab

Posting the types of spam that we see lately, most notably the astrology/love spells type ad spam, does seem counter-intuitive on a site like DDO because most members here are less likely to believe in that type of stuff, or fall for those types of scams to begin with. This however doesn't stop those spammers who simply want to advertise the service as much as possible (that spam is all over other forum websites as well). The motivation is money like all the other ad spam. By spamming the ads the business hopes it can gain new customers.

And what about the passport ads? Is that real?

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 3:03:53 PM
At 8/31/2014 2:38:13 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
The one major problem I see with the time restriction on posting threads is that, even now, at any given time, ad spammers post from multiple different accounts, meaning that that kind of restriction wouldn't do much.

This is true, though the time it takes to create a new account would be a restriction in itself. Rather than the 30 seconds it takes between each new thread created, the spammer would have to create a bunch of accounts initially or create a new account after each thread is created. This hardly solves the problem, but it would make spamming a whole forum category that much more inconvenient.

As you pointed out though, this isn't a perfect solution, and it would have to just be one part of other things meant to reduce the amount of ad spam generally.

It may just be worthwhile to ask Juggle if they can impliment a system blocking certain content, like email addresses and phone numbers, if not posted by a verified user. Though I guess Juggle isn't known for their great filters (e.g. the curse-word filter), it might still work for a while before the spammers work a way around it.

This is worth considering, though I'd have to give some thought to filtered terms and the best way to implement this.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 3:14:32 PM
At 8/31/2014 3:02:00 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Dear Airmax1227,

Faithfully Yours,
Ajab

Yes, it's all real. These are real businesses trying to sell real products, or in some cases "real" scams that are really trying to scam you. I couldn't say if the fake passport/ID organization actually provides genuine fake documentation, or if it is just a scam (it's certainly illegal) but that business advertises a particular product in the hopes someone pays them for it.

In both the case of the astrologer/love spell spam and the fake passport ad spam, the fact that these organizations have to spam DDO to advertise makes the lack of quality and legitimacy apparent. Any guy with mystical powers that can do what the former ad spam claims isn't very good at what he does if he needs to have his business ad spammed, and same goes for the latter. Both are undoubtedly scams hoping to convince some gullible individual to part with their money.
Debate.org Moderator
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 3:16:36 PM
At 8/31/2014 3:14:32 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 8/31/2014 3:02:00 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Dear Airmax1227,

Faithfully Yours,
Ajab

Yes, it's all real. These are real businesses trying to sell real products, or in some cases "real" scams that are really trying to scam you. I couldn't say if the fake passport/ID organization actually provides genuine fake documentation, or if it is just a scam (it's certainly illegal) but that business advertises a particular product in the hopes someone pays them for it.

In both the case of the astrologer/love spell spam and the fake passport ad spam, the fact that these organizations have to spam DDO to advertise makes the lack of quality and legitimacy apparent. Any guy with mystical powers that can do what the former ad spam claims isn't very good at what he does if he needs to have his business ad spammed, and same goes for the latter. Both are undoubtedly scams hoping to convince some gullible individual to part with their money.

That's unfortunate, as a fake passport may come in handy one day.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 3:53:20 PM
At 8/31/2014 5:18:16 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
This is actually a pretty good idea, but the only problem is that legitimate people who find the site when, say, no mod is online would be discouraged from the site as they would be made to wait to post.

He suggested only 1 thread every fifteen minutes, not one post lol. Who is making multiple threads within fifteen minutes except for spammers lol
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 2:11:13 PM
Dear Max, please, Maxy, please sapm
I need your love and the spam, there gotta be less
And Max if you don't hurry back I'll be gone

http://www.metrolyrics.com...
My political compass: