Jump to topic:

Once Upon a DDO Episode 18

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 6:44:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Episode 17 can be found here: http://www.debate.org...

2 Years Earlier

Most taverns in the Kingdom were located near busy market squares or in thoroughly middle-class neighborhoods. The act of wanton drinking, or indeed, of running the risk of looking foolish in public, somehow wasn't popular with the upper class, who tended to store their champagne and expensive wine within their homes.

The tavern YYW took bsh1 to was not one of these taverns. It was one of the last few taverns in the Kingdom, in fact, that catered to at least the upper middle-class. In another two years, it would be gone, having closed down due to a successive net loss in profits.

But for tonight, the tavern had not yet reached its zenith, let alone its swan song. bsh1 glanced around appreciatively as he entered, YYW having held the door open for him. At first glance, the only thing that separated this tavern - known affectionately as The Magic Hub because its liquors were said to be so divine as to imitate magic, though this was not the tavern's official name - was its cleanliness. Other taverns suffered from the consequences of too much drink, but the aura of fanciness espoused by The Magic Hub was a self-fulfilling prophecy. People did not see it as a place to be sick in, so they were not.

A closer glance, however, revealed subtle intricacies catapulting The Magic Hub above its less fortunate brothers and sisters. Most of the glasses were genuine crystal (to break one incurred a high penalty), and the hub's owner had even gotten the tavern connected to the electrical network. The light casings were studded with small rubies in honor of this accomplishment.

To shorten a lengthy description, The Magic Hub was fancy, and while this flattered bsh1, it also made him uncomfortable.

"Look, YYW," he said civilly, "this place is far too nice. I appreciate the gesture, but -"

"Hey now," YYW interrupted his companion. "This is my treat. Think of it as a celebration for how well you performed in that tournament." This mollified bsh1, though only slightly. He had won, after all.

They were seated a small distance away from the stage, where a four-man group was playing a soft jazz song that bsh1 didn't recognize.

Although the hub was connected to the electrical grid, the lights were dimmed to the point of softness, inviting the cozy half-light that prefaces and epilogues sleep. bsh1, however, was anything but tired. If anything, he felt an excitement he hadn't in a long time, and he couldn't explain why. Even when he was gripped in the throes of a challenging debate, he hadn't felt anything like he did now.

"Would you excuse me for a moment?" bsh1 asked. YYW nodded graciously, and bsh1 wandered around the Magic Hub until he found the bathroom. Grateful that he hadn't looked completely stupid searching for it, he slipped inside.

The interior was as nice as the tavern. The tiles were white as freshly fallen snow, and the handles on the sinks looked to be made of gold. He turned one and splashed some cold water on his face. Nerves, that's all. It was just his nerves getting to him. He hadn't gone out in forever, after all, and never to a place as nice as this.

He stared at his reflection. He was composed. Cool. Calm. Collected. Other 'C' words.

bsh1 dried off his face and returned to the table. To his surprise, there was a glass of white wine at his spot. He glanced at YYW in shock.

"How did you know I preferred white wine?"

YYW sat back, swirling his own glass of red wine. "You seemed like the type." He sat upright again, a sheepish look on his face. "I meant that in a good way."

"Sure." bsh1 sat opposite him. The wine had even been chilled! YYW was an exceptionally lucky guesser.

That, or it was simply meant to be.

Present Day

Whatever else could be said about soldiers XLAV and Cermank, they couldn't be called disloyal. Lannan had ordered them to wait for Daytona, and thus far, they had done exactly that.

Of course, a considerable amount of time had passed since the order, and Daytona's home wasn't exactly lacking in resources. Or it hadn't been when XLAV and Cermank had first settled in. If Daytona returned home at this exact moment, he'd find his wine cabinet had been considerably drained, his refrigerator had been emptied, and his pantry had been raided.

"I'm such a good soldier," XLAV announced, stuffing a chip in his mouth.

"Uh-huh," Cermank replied disinterestedly, flipping through an illicit magazine. The images she saw did not impress her.

"I mean it," XLAV said. "They should just, like, promote me to general already."

"Juggle forbid," Cermank muttered, turning the page.

XLAV glanced at her. "Don't make me get from this couch."

"I certainly wouldn't want you to do that."

"Good." XLAV leaned back, satisfied, and propped his feet up on Daytona's coffee table. "I'm taking a nap."

"It's morning."

"And?"

"Whatever." Cermank returned to her magazine. Well, Daytona's magazine. It was boring. Too conventional. She set it aside and glanced around. There must be something interesting around here. But so far, nothing. Daytona's taste in literature was sorely lacking.

XLAV had just nodded off when the door burst open, and General Lannan marched into the room. Cermank leapt to feet and saluted immediately. XLAV, still disorientated, managed to rise, but he stumbled over the coffee table and crashed to the floor. Heat rising to his cheeks, he sprung up.

"General Lannan, sir!"

"Soldiers!" Lannan gave them a withering glare. "I take it Daytona hasn't appeared?"

"Negative, sir!" Cermank rattled off.

Lannan nodded thoughtfully. "Come on, then. Back to the ranks. President Mikal has some words for us."

"Sir!" Cermank and XLAV marched out the door. Lannan glanced around at the state of Daytona's home. He sighed inwardly. His father would have never allowed his home to - no.

Nonetheless, Lannan made a note to punish XLAV later. Then he left Daytona's home, closing the door behind him.

Seventh finally stopped running when she reached the Philosopher's Bridge. The light blue cables overhead looked to be hazy and indistinct, though that was only because Seventh couldn't see them clearly. But Seventh had found she'd had enough of looking upward. So she looked down.

The Openny River, more formally called the River of Thought, was gripped in an unusually strong current. Typically it was weak and had the consistency of thin soup, but today, it was in full force. That news would make the farmers happy, at least.

As for Seventh, happiness was as out of reach as those light blue cables.

She climbed up to the edge. The Openny River swirled and frothed below like a hungry animal. What followed would be so easy. A simple motion of the leg. A weightless step.

It was an irony, Seventh reflected, that the only two forced that rendered a person weightless were love and death.

It made no difference to Seventh whether or not she saw what happened next. So she closed her eyes.

"Seventh?"

The voice was quiet. Soft. Familiar. Seventh opened her eyes and glanced over her shoulder.

She'd been right. There was only one person who was so soft-spoken. GCL.

"Seventh?" GCL approached cautiously. "What are you doing?"

"I'm..." Seventh stopped. What was she doing? "I'm...I'm putting an end to it. To pain."

GCL shook her head. "You can't! Seventh, you can't! That's...that's not for us to do. It's not our place."

"It's my life," Seventh said.

"It's His soul," GCL replied.

The two women stared at each other for a few seconds.

Seventh felt the water in the Openny River rise into her eyes and start spilling out. "GCL, I...."

GCL extended her hand to Seventh. "Come on. Tell me all about it."

Seventh accepted her hand.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 6:45:19 PM
Airmax, the 'Evil Queen' stood on the balcony on the highest available floor of the Palace and overlooked the Kingdom.

He had his own residence, a little ways off, but the growing plant of unease within him kept him rooted near the Palace. He couldn't shake the feeling that something was coming. Something was going to change. And he didn't like not knowing what.

"Oh, Oryus," he whispered. "I wish you were here." A gentle breeze caressed his face, ran through his hair. "You always knew what to say. You -"

Airmax stopped, listening, but there was only silence. He took a deep breath.

"It was the only way, Oryus."

He had to grip the railing then. He had to. Otherwise, he didn't know what would happen. But this railing was built from the finest and sturdiest materials wealth can buy. It wouldn't move.

Airmax clung to it as the storm swept him away.

Jonbonbon ensured she was alone before pulling it out.

Not that it.

The Practitioners of the Silver Arts had told her it was called a cell phone. She'd never heard of it before, but they'd given a few to her and the other rebels as a means to oppose tyranny. They'd shown her how to work it too. She - what was the verb...called, that was it! She called Zaradi now and held it to her ear. It felt goofy. She was glad she was alone.

"Hello?" He answered on the third ring.

"Zaradi, it's me."

"Jonbonbon! How delightful! What's going on?"

"Bookworm, Romanii, and Seventh plan to free kbub."

Zaradi was silent for a few seconds. "That's not what I ordered Bookworm to do."

Jonbonbon frowned. "Do you want me to stop them?"

More silence. It dragged on for so long that Jonbonbon started to think she'd lost the...what was the word? Signal? "Did you hear me?" She asked. "Hello?"

"No." Zaradi's voice was firm. "Don't stop them."

"Understood."

"Was there anything else?"

"Yes, actually." Jonbonbon hesitated. "I heard a rumor."

"Really." Zaradi adopted a tone of dry amusement. "Shall we inform the Jifpop Chronicles?"

Jonbonbon disregarded this. "I heard you've captured my boyfriend."

"bsh1? Wow, will YYW be surprised."

"OncomingStorm." Jonbonbon wasn't in the mood for games. She waited for Zaradi to deny it.

"Yes, that's correct."

Jonbonbon nearly dropped the phone. "What?"

"Yes, we have him in custody. He'll be kept safe until our revolution is complete. Then he'll be tried for his crimes."

"You can't execute him!" Jonbonbon shrieked into the phone.

"I never said we would," Zaradi answered smoothly. "Don't worry, Jonelle. We'll keep him safe and out of the way of battle."

"Can I see him?"

"Not until this is done." Zaradi lowered his voice. "You understand, don't you?"

It was Jonbonbon's turn to be silent. Then, "yes."

"Good girl." She could picture Zaradi nodding approvingly. "I'm going to fine-tune Daytona's presidential platform. It won't be long now, Jonelle. Keep me informed."

"I will," Jonbonbon said, and hung up the phone.

The next time Linkish opened his eyes, he was still in the same spot, but his wound had a fresh bandage.

Blinking, he gingerly probed the area. It hurt, but not as badly as before. The wound no longer felt like it would be fatal.

Linkish turned his gaze skyward. It was still light out. He can't have been unconscious for long. Yet it had been long enough for someone to dress his wound and fix his bandages. Who would do that?

Linkish pushed himself into a sitting position. His stomach ached, but it no longer burned, and that was an improvement. He looked around for some clue as to his newfound ally. But there was only a short message scratched into the dirt, as if with a stick. It took Linkish a few tries to decipher it.

'Troll like never before,' it said, and there was an arrow pointing westward.

Linkish felt a smile tug at his lips. Zaradi was still on his hit list, but he'd been bumped down to the number 2 slot. Linkish stood, checking his person. He still had the necessary tools of his trade. Knives. A blowgun. A lockpick. A few other trinkets.

Oh, yes. Zaradi was number 2. But as for 1....

Linkish grinned in the direction the arrow had pointed.

"I'm coming for you, Ore_Ele."
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 6:51:22 PM
At 9/13/2014 6:48:35 PM, YYW wrote:
Quite good, but is third post to follow the first two?

You read quickly. But nope. That's it for today. :)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 6:52:47 PM
At 9/13/2014 6:51:22 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Ok...

I enjoy how you're incorporating actual facts about us into this. Bsh1, as I'm sure you know, only likes white wine -and he likes it chilled.

I prefer dry reds at cellar temperature.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 6:54:32 PM
At 9/13/2014 6:52:47 PM, YYW wrote:

Ok...

I can sense the disappointment, lol.

I enjoy how you're incorporating actual facts about us into this. Bsh1, as I'm sure you know, only likes white wine -and he likes it chilled.

I recalled those from Toward Pennsylvania Avenue. xD
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 6:57:49 PM
At 9/13/2014 6:54:32 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/13/2014 6:52:47 PM, YYW wrote:

Ok...

I can sense the disappointment, lol.

I recalled those from Toward Pennsylvania Avenue. xD

lol, yup.

Btw. we have not finished our discussion on guns.
Tsar of DDO
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 7:23:30 PM

bellisimo!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 7:26:09 PM
At 9/13/2014 7:23:30 PM, NiamC wrote:

bellisimo!

Thank you, Niam!
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 7:29:00 PM
At 9/13/2014 7:26:09 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/13/2014 7:23:30 PM, NiamC wrote:

bellisimo!

Thank you, Niam!

I must say, I have read many of these and they all very captivating and humorous. You could easily make a very fine writer someday. I cant wait for the episode 19!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 10:18:31 PM
Nice job!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2014 1:01:26 AM
That was an awesome episode

Then of course when TOS was captured in the last episode I was like http://i.imgur.com...

Then my character finds out and I'm like http://fc01.deviantart.net...
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2014 10:48:03 AM
At 9/14/2014 1:01:26 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
That was an awesome episode

Then of course when TOS was captured in the last episode I was like http://i.imgur.com...

Then my character finds out and I'm like http://fc01.deviantart.net...

Thanks!
Also best gifs ever.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2014 10:50:04 AM
I'm not listening to Zaradi?! Huh?!

What am I doing?!... O_o
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2014 10:55:55 AM
That was such a cute BYours scene!!! :<

YAY! GCL saves the day!

SEVENTH STAY STRONG HON!

Max is toting for Oryus </3

Zaradi's gonna execute OS after he gets what he wants.

Linkish vs Ore.
Interesting battle to come
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2014 12:22:19 PM
At 9/14/2014 10:55:55 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

XD

YAY! GCL saves the day!

SEVENTH STAY STRONG HON!

O.O

You are dark, aren't you?

Linkish vs Ore.

>:)
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2014 12:25:23 PM
At 9/14/2014 12:22:19 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/14/2014 10:55:55 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

XD

YAY! GCL saves the day!

As per usual :D <3

SEVENTH STAY STRONG HON!

SEVANII IS GONE!!!
ROMANII NEEDS TO HAVE HIS BALLS CHOPPED OFF NOOOWWW

O.O

xD

You are dark, aren't you?

One of us has to be. ;-)

Linkish vs Ore.

>:)

I'm so excited for this!
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 8:36:23 AM
love it like i do all the others
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me