Jump to topic:

Viable Sources

Vedney
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 9:24:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Generally, what are considered viable sources around here?
That moment where you're bored and want to do a debate, then you're doing four all at once.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 9:44:58 PM
At 9/13/2014 9:24:17 PM, Vedney wrote:

Anything can be a viable source.

For general knowledge type things, I think Wikipedia or any random things you find off the internet.

Statistics and findings should typically be from peer reviewed journals, .gov sites, think tanks etc.

I also use the bible as a source for a lot of things.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 9:50:54 PM

You want to provide sources your opponent can actually peruse. So you should try to stick to links as your sources. There's a temptation sometimes to draw from any books you've read, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect your opponent, and certainly not the voters, to go out and find the book at their local libraries in order to verify. As you're picking your links, it's worth focusing on unbiased websites just to avoid the easy response that bias could taint your evidence.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 10:40:28 PM
Define 'viable'.

Anything can be a useable source. Of course there are some sources that you probably don't want to use (for example, if you're arguing in favor of presumed consent in organ donation, using presumedconsent.org as a source is asking for trouble), but anything can be a source.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2014 10:51:59 PM

You want sources that are widely recognized as credible:

High quality news sources like The New York Times or the Telegraph, research from reputable organizations like the Council on Foreign Relations, articles from places like The New Yorker, The Atlantic, The Economist or The Financial Times, etc.

Scholarly literature is also encouraged, but be wary of The Heritage Foundation, and other organizations like the Family Research Council.

Granted, there are sources that I tend not to take seriously, but others do, like:

The Christian Science Monitor
The Huffington Post
The New York Post
The Enquirer
The Daily Mail (although they have wonderful celebrity gossip, if you're into that sort of thing)
Fox News
etc.
Tsar of DDO