Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How often does the last round matter?

thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 9:38:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
When I did PF debate in high school, I always loved the last speech. Debates were won and lost in the final speech where debaters give voters and tell the judge exactly why they've won.

Then I started judging and realized that, 90% of the time, my decision was practically made BEFORE these speeches were even given. I've noticed a similar trend on DDO--despite the much touted "last word" advantage, in a four round debate the debate is usually won in round 3 and then mopped up in round 4. In debates I've judged there are very few times (so few I can't even think of a single one off the top of my head) where the losing side had a good last round and managed to come up victorious because of that.

Anyone else felt this way too?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 9:42:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

A good policy.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 9:47:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/19/2014 9:42:24 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

A

That's worth at least pi amount of points.
whiteflame
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 9:57:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/19/2014 9:38:43 AM, thett3 wrote:
When I did PF debate in high school, I always loved the last speech. Debates were won and lost in the final speech where debaters give voters and tell the judge exactly why they've won.

Then I started judging and realized that, 90% of the time, my decision was practically made BEFORE these speeches were even given. I've noticed a similar trend on DDO--despite the much touted "last word" advantage, in a four round debate the debate is usually won in round 3 and then mopped up in round 4. In debates I've judged there are very few times (so few I can't even think of a single one off the top of my head) where the losing side had a good last round and managed to come up victorious because of that.

Anyone else felt this way too?

So, I've had a good amount of both debating and judging experience myself, and to some extent, it depends on the type of debate you're dealing with. If I was judging, say, Parliamentary Debate, I'd happen to agree with you. The final round can matter quite a bit, but it was rarely utilized so well as to ensure that it did (in fact, in a particularly painful instance, the final round presented by one team actually solidified my vote for the other). I'd say that's all the more common in Lincoln-Douglas and Policy debate, where the points are made so thoroughly throughout the previous rounds that they're either won or lost before the final round in most instances. The same is not true for British Parliamentary debate, but in that case, each team only gets two speakers, and therefore half of two of the teams' speaking times are allocated to final speeches. That puts a lot more weight on them. I'd say online debates are akin to Parliamentary Debate in that regard, that most often the debate is over before the final round.

That's not to say that the final round is worthless, though, and I don't think that's your point here either. I think that most often, the reason the final round doesn't sway me is that it's not used effectively. It's important to use your final round to clarify the arguments of the debate and really spend some time weighing them against one another. I've found that this often requires a number of "even if" statements, where you grant that your opponent may be winning something and yet still showcase how you should be winning. A final round can be groundbreaking, but it requires careful evaluation of the positions given, and not just a statement of what one is winning. Too often, both online and off, the final round just becomes another round of rebuttals and then some hastily thrown in concluding statements. That type of round is unlikely to sway voters if the previous rounds have told a pretty stark story.

So how often does the last round matter? I'd say it's uncommon, perhaps even rare, but that that has more to do with how well it's used rather than an obvious difference in the previous rounds.
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 10:08:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/19/2014 9:57:31 AM, whiteflame wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:38:43 AM, thett3 wrote:
When I did PF debate in high school, I always loved the last speech. Debates were won and lost in the final speech where debaters give voters and tell the judge exactly why they've won.

Then I started judging and realized that, 90% of the time, my decision was practically made BEFORE these speeches were even given. I've noticed a similar trend on DDO--despite the much touted "last word" advantage, in a four round debate the debate is usually won in round 3 and then mopped up in round 4. In debates I've judged there are very few times (so few I can't even think of a single one off the top of my head) where the losing side had a good last round and managed to come up victorious because of that.

Anyone else felt this way too?

So, I've had a good amount of both debating and judging experience myself, and to some extent, it depends on the type of debate you're dealing with. If I was judging, say, Parliamentary Debate, I'd happen to agree with you. The final round can matter quite a bit, but it was rarely utilized so well as to ensure that it did (in fact, in a particularly painful instance, the final round presented by one team actually solidified my vote for the other). I'd say that's all the more common in Lincoln-Douglas and Policy debate, where the points are made so thoroughly throughout the previous rounds that they're either won or lost before the final round in most instances. The same is not true for British Parliamentary debate, but in that case, each team only gets two speakers, and therefore half of two of the teams' speaking times are allocated to final speeches. That puts a lot more weight on them. I'd say online debates are akin to Parliamentary Debate in that regard, that most often the debate is over before the final round.

That's not to say that the final round is worthless, though, and I don't think that's your point here either. I think that most often, the reason the final round doesn't sway me is that it's not used effectively. It's important to use your final round to clarify the arguments of the debate and really spend some time weighing them against one another. I've found that this often requires a number of "even if" statements, where you grant that your opponent may be winning something and yet still showcase how you should be winning. A final round can be groundbreaking, but it requires careful evaluation of the positions given, and not just a statement of what one is winning. Too often, both online and off, the final round just becomes another round of rebuttals and then some hastily thrown in concluding statements. That type of round is unlikely to sway voters if the previous rounds have told a pretty stark story.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The worst thing is when the fourth round becomes only defending one's own case from their opponents rebuttals. I'd almost support a fifth round but debates get too long...maybe a half round summary speech.

Incidentally, this may be the reason the contender advantage, insofar as it actually does exist, exists because since the contender usually had the opportunity to answer their opponents objections in the third round, their argumentation necessarily becomes more skewed towards the "even if" type analysis that's most compelling.

So how often does the last round matter? I'd say it's uncommon, perhaps even rare, but that that has more to do with how well it's used rather than an obvious difference in the previous rounds.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 10:08:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/19/2014 9:38:43 AM, thett3 wrote:
When I did PF debate in high school, I always loved the last speech. Debates were won and lost in the final speech where debaters give voters and tell the judge exactly why they've won.

Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on the round.

Then I started judging and realized that, 90% of the time, my decision was practically made BEFORE these speeches were even given.

Yeah, that is very common.

I've noticed a similar trend on DDO--despite the much touted "last word" advantage, in a four round debate the debate is usually won in round 3 and then mopped up in round 4. In debates I've judged there are very few times (so few I can't even think of a single one off the top of my head) where the losing side had a good last round and managed to come up victorious because of that.

Yup.

Anyone else felt this way too?

Yes.
Tsar of DDO
The_Immortal_Emris
Posts: 474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 10:09:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/19/2014 9:42:24 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

A good policy.

This sounds like a typical DDO voter on social issue debates.
The_Immortal_Emris
Posts: 474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 10:12:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I try to read each round in its entirety when a debate catches my fancy, but often times one debater is just far superior, and I end up only glancing over the other side, while devouring the posts from the more eloquent arguer.

I find that I am more likely to read well worded opposing viewpoints than individuals who agree with me. I already know why I think I'm right, I don't need to be reaffirmed, and poorly, by a sub-par debater.

However opposing views well illustrated give me pause and make me consider my position. I often am able to reason out flaws in said arguments, but I have to think on them, and consider the ideas.

I love well illustrated opposing views, because they are as rare as they are insightful.
whiteflame
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 10:31:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/19/2014 10:08:41 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:57:31 AM, whiteflame wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:38:43 AM, thett3 wrote:
When I did PF debate in high school, I always loved the last speech. Debates were won and lost in the final speech where debaters give voters and tell the judge exactly why they've won.

Then I started judging and realized that, 90% of the time, my decision was practically made BEFORE these speeches were even given. I've noticed a similar trend on DDO--despite the much touted "last word" advantage, in a four round debate the debate is usually won in round 3 and then mopped up in round 4. In debates I've judged there are very few times (so few I can't even think of a single one off the top of my head) where the losing side had a good last round and managed to come up victorious because of that.

Anyone else felt this way too?

So, I've had a good amount of both debating and judging experience myself, and to some extent, it depends on the type of debate you're dealing with. If I was judging, say, Parliamentary Debate, I'd happen to agree with you. The final round can matter quite a bit, but it was rarely utilized so well as to ensure that it did (in fact, in a particularly painful instance, the final round presented by one team actually solidified my vote for the other). I'd say that's all the more common in Lincoln-Douglas and Policy debate, where the points are made so thoroughly throughout the previous rounds that they're either won or lost before the final round in most instances. The same is not true for British Parliamentary debate, but in that case, each team only gets two speakers, and therefore half of two of the teams' speaking times are allocated to final speeches. That puts a lot more weight on them. I'd say online debates are akin to Parliamentary Debate in that regard, that most often the debate is over before the final round.

That's not to say that the final round is worthless, though, and I don't think that's your point here either. I think that most often, the reason the final round doesn't sway me is that it's not used effectively. It's important to use your final round to clarify the arguments of the debate and really spend some time weighing them against one another. I've found that this often requires a number of "even if" statements, where you grant that your opponent may be winning something and yet still showcase how you should be winning. A final round can be groundbreaking, but it requires careful evaluation of the positions given, and not just a statement of what one is winning. Too often, both online and off, the final round just becomes another round of rebuttals and then some hastily thrown in concluding statements. That type of round is unlikely to sway voters if the previous rounds have told a pretty stark story.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The worst thing is when the fourth round becomes only defending one's own case from their opponents rebuttals. I'd almost support a fifth round but debates get too long...maybe a half round summary speech.

Incidentally, this may be the reason the contender advantage, insofar as it actually does exist, exists because since the contender usually had the opportunity to answer their opponents objections in the third round, their argumentation necessarily becomes more skewed towards the "even if" type analysis that's most compelling.

I agree. The "rebuttal only" final rounds also favor the contender just because they're the last to put down arguments and therefore they appear to have the most weight, especially if no one has taken the time to weigh arguments beforehand. There's also something to be said about being the last speech in the debate and therefore the first thing voters remember upon making their decisions. That's a bigger problem in styles of debate like BP where some of the speakers are more than 1 round removed from the final round, but it's a problem in any style. That's part of why it's so important to make a big statement with your final round, ensuring that it sticks in the heads of all your voters/judges.


So how often does the last round matter? I'd say it's uncommon, perhaps even rare, but that that has more to do with how well it's used rather than an obvious difference in the previous rounds.
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,760
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 10:58:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

I read first and last personally. Get one word out of each person.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Posts: 4,460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 11:22:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have a lot to say about this, but in short...

Most policy and ddo debates I have made up my mind before the final round. I attribute this more to the natural skill imbalance in most debates. The final round becomes much more important the more competitive the round is. Mikal v Roy I was undecided until I started writing my RFD, I have judged many many out round policy debates where the final round decided the debate.

I agree with white flame entirely that final round is best utilized for comparative analysis and weighing arguments. I have even done a few debates where the final round is limited to half length to force case summary rather than a drawn out repetition of points.

So yeah I agree final round is under utilized and in 80% of debates isn't a game changer. Most if the reason it isn't usually crucial is just because the debate isn't especially competitive.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 8:30:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I Would say the vast majority of debates are won or lost based on whether or not the resolution supports the voters confirmation bias.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 11:39:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 8:30:08 AM, sadolite wrote:
I Would say the vast majority of debates are won or lost based on whether or not the resolution supports the voters confirmation bias.

Perhaps you should ask different people to judge your debates
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
cipeylsrs
Posts: 48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 11:42:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 11:39:34 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/20/2014 8:30:08 AM, sadolite wrote:
I Would say the vast majority of debates are won or lost based on whether or not the resolution supports the voters confirmation bias.

Perhaps you should ask different people to judge your debates

Judges universally hate idiots, this is elitism of the intellectually able. It is just as bad as voting against someone because they didn't word their debate Caucasian enough.
If I offend you, I am genuinely sorry.

Please tell your diary and send the pain to me telepathically, if it helps prick a voodoo doll, I hear that your hand makes a good one.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 11:53:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 11:39:34 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/20/2014 8:30:08 AM, sadolite wrote:
I Would say the vast majority of debates are won or lost based on whether or not the resolution supports the voters confirmation bias.

Perhaps you should ask different people to judge your debates

Oh you mean people who would agree with me. Sounds like a search for confirmation bias in my favor. Just for the record, the way voting is conducted here is devoid of reality in the real world. You can't choose who votes for you nor can you make anyone explain their vote. But that is neither here nor there.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
cipeylsrs
Posts: 48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:16:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 11:53:59 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 11:39:34 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/20/2014 8:30:08 AM, sadolite wrote:
I Would say the vast majority of debates are won or lost based on whether or not the resolution supports the voters confirmation bias.

Perhaps you should ask different people to judge your debates

Oh you mean people who would agree with me. Sounds like a search for confirmation bias in my favor. Just for the record, the way voting is conducted here is devoid of reality in the real world. You can't choose who votes for you nor can you make anyone explain their vote. But that is neither here nor there.

I agree wholeheartedly. In the real world, dumbasses can become president, on Debate.Org you need an IQ of at least 115 to even qualify.
If I offend you, I am genuinely sorry.

Please tell your diary and send the pain to me telepathically, if it helps prick a voodoo doll, I hear that your hand makes a good one.
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:19:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 11:53:59 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 11:39:34 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/20/2014 8:30:08 AM, sadolite wrote:
I Would say the vast majority of debates are won or lost based on whether or not the resolution supports the voters confirmation bias.

Perhaps you should ask different people to judge your debates

Oh you mean people who would agree with me. Sounds like a search for confirmation bias in my favor.

The last vote I cast was for a position I disagreed with. I'm hardly unique.

Just for the record, the way voting is conducted here is devoid of reality in the real world. You can't choose who votes for you nor can you make anyone explain their vote. But that is neither here nor there.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
cipeylsrs
Posts: 48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:25:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 12:19:54 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/20/2014 11:53:59 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 11:39:34 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/20/2014 8:30:08 AM, sadolite wrote:
I Would say the vast majority of debates are won or lost based on whether or not the resolution supports the voters confirmation bias.

Perhaps you should ask different people to judge your debates

Oh you mean people who would agree with me. Sounds like a search for confirmation bias in my favor.

The last vote I cast was for a position I disagreed with. I'm hardly unique.

I will challenge you on that topic. You have no right to claim such a thing.

Just for the record, the way voting is conducted here is devoid of reality in the real world. You can't choose who votes for you nor can you make anyone explain their vote. But that is neither here nor there.
If I offend you, I am genuinely sorry.

Please tell your diary and send the pain to me telepathically, if it helps prick a voodoo doll, I hear that your hand makes a good one.
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:26:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 12:25:45 PM, cipeylsrs wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:19:54 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/20/2014 11:53:59 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 11:39:34 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/20/2014 8:30:08 AM, sadolite wrote:
I Would say the vast majority of debates are won or lost based on whether or not the resolution supports the voters confirmation bias.

Perhaps you should ask different people to judge your debates

Oh you mean people who would agree with me. Sounds like a search for confirmation bias in my favor.

The last vote I cast was for a position I disagreed with. I'm hardly unique.

I will challenge you on that topic. You have no right to claim such a thing.

You want to debate that I don't disagree that US militia groups are a bigger threat to national security than foreign terrorist groups? Okay.

Just for the record, the way voting is conducted here is devoid of reality in the real world. You can't choose who votes for you nor can you make anyone explain their vote. But that is neither here nor there.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
cipeylsrs
Posts: 48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:28:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 12:26:59 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:25:45 PM, cipeylsrs wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:19:54 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/20/2014 11:53:59 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 11:39:34 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/20/2014 8:30:08 AM, sadolite wrote:
I Would say the vast majority of debates are won or lost based on whether or not the resolution supports the voters confirmation bias.

Perhaps you should ask different people to judge your debates

Oh you mean people who would agree with me. Sounds like a search for confirmation bias in my favor.

The last vote I cast was for a position I disagreed with. I'm hardly unique.

I will challenge you on that topic. You have no right to claim such a thing.

You want to debate that I don't disagree that US militia groups are a bigger threat to national security than foreign terrorist groups? Okay.

I want to debate that you cannot claim that you disagreed with it at the time of your voting and furthermore cannot claim that you are hardly unique.

Just for the record, the way voting is conducted here is devoid of reality in the real world. You can't choose who votes for you nor can you make anyone explain their vote. But that is neither here nor there.
If I offend you, I am genuinely sorry.

Please tell your diary and send the pain to me telepathically, if it helps prick a voodoo doll, I hear that your hand makes a good one.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:29:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

I usually make up my mind in the beginning and just read the first round to come up with a good RFD. But sometimes I don't bother with the RFD and just say "PRO or CON made better and convincing arguments" and not bother wasting my time reading it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
cipeylsrs
Posts: 48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:43:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 12:29:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

I usually make up my mind in the beginning and just read the first round to come up with a good RFD. But sometimes I don't bother with the RFD and just say "PRO or CON made better and convincing arguments" and not bother wasting my time reading it.

This is not the kind of thing you should be proud of.
If I offend you, I am genuinely sorry.

Please tell your diary and send the pain to me telepathically, if it helps prick a voodoo doll, I hear that your hand makes a good one.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:44:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 12:29:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

I usually make up my mind in the beginning and just read the first round to come up with a good RFD. But sometimes I don't bother with the RFD and just say "PRO or CON made better and convincing arguments" and not bother wasting my time reading it.

You would be the perfect example of the vast majority of voters. You read the resolution, it either supports or contradicts your confirmation bias and vote accordingly. Making up some phony RFD because you can't vote without posting one.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
cipeylsrs
Posts: 48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:47:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 12:44:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:29:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

I usually make up my mind in the beginning and just read the first round to come up with a good RFD. But sometimes I don't bother with the RFD and just say "PRO or CON made better and convincing arguments" and not bother wasting my time reading it.

You would be the perfect example of the vast majority of voters. You read the resolution, it either supports or contradicts your confirmation bias and vote accordingly. Making up some phony RFD because you can't vote without posting one.

on your last vote your give 3 points and explain it with this: "Con made better arguments" then you award spelling and grammar for no explained reason at all.
If I offend you, I am genuinely sorry.

Please tell your diary and send the pain to me telepathically, if it helps prick a voodoo doll, I hear that your hand makes a good one.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:50:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 12:47:49 PM, cipeylsrs wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:44:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:29:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

I usually make up my mind in the beginning and just read the first round to come up with a good RFD. But sometimes I don't bother with the RFD and just say "PRO or CON made better and convincing arguments" and not bother wasting my time reading it.

You would be the perfect example of the vast majority of voters. You read the resolution, it either supports or contradicts your confirmation bias and vote accordingly. Making up some phony RFD because you can't vote without posting one.

on your last vote your give 3 points and explain it with this: "Con made better arguments" then you award spelling and grammar for no explained reason at all.

Read and vote on the debate, tell me what you come up with.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
cipeylsrs
Posts: 48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:52:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 12:50:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:47:49 PM, cipeylsrs wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:44:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:29:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

I usually make up my mind in the beginning and just read the first round to come up with a good RFD. But sometimes I don't bother with the RFD and just say "PRO or CON made better and convincing arguments" and not bother wasting my time reading it.

You would be the perfect example of the vast majority of voters. You read the resolution, it either supports or contradicts your confirmation bias and vote accordingly. Making up some phony RFD because you can't vote without posting one.

on your last vote your give 3 points and explain it with this: "Con made better arguments" then you award spelling and grammar for no explained reason at all.

Read and vote on the debate, tell me what you come up with.

I am not the one preaching for extensive RFDs.
If I offend you, I am genuinely sorry.

Please tell your diary and send the pain to me telepathically, if it helps prick a voodoo doll, I hear that your hand makes a good one.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:53:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 12:50:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:47:49 PM, cipeylsrs wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:44:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:29:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

I usually make up my mind in the beginning and just read the first round to come up with a good RFD. But sometimes I don't bother with the RFD and just say "PRO or CON made better and convincing arguments" and not bother wasting my time reading it.

You would be the perfect example of the vast majority of voters. You read the resolution, it either supports or contradicts your confirmation bias and vote accordingly. Making up some phony RFD because you can't vote without posting one.

on your last vote your give 3 points and explain it with this: "Con made better arguments" then you award spelling and grammar for no explained reason at all.

Read and vote on the debate, tell me what you come up with.

And then we can make the discussion about me instead of facing the reality of how voting practices take place on DDO. Which in turn will give you a sense of superiority over me.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
cipeylsrs
Posts: 48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:54:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 12:53:12 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:50:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:47:49 PM, cipeylsrs wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:44:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:29:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

I usually make up my mind in the beginning and just read the first round to come up with a good RFD. But sometimes I don't bother with the RFD and just say "PRO or CON made better and convincing arguments" and not bother wasting my time reading it.

You would be the perfect example of the vast majority of voters. You read the resolution, it either supports or contradicts your confirmation bias and vote accordingly. Making up some phony RFD because you can't vote without posting one.

on your last vote your give 3 points and explain it with this: "Con made better arguments" then you award spelling and grammar for no explained reason at all.

Read and vote on the debate, tell me what you come up with.

And then we can make the discussion about me instead of facing the reality of how voting practices take place on DDO. Which in turn will give you a sense of superiority over me.

I just don't dig hypocrisy.
If I offend you, I am genuinely sorry.

Please tell your diary and send the pain to me telepathically, if it helps prick a voodoo doll, I hear that your hand makes a good one.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 12:54:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/20/2014 12:52:48 PM, cipeylsrs wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:50:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:47:49 PM, cipeylsrs wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:44:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/20/2014 12:29:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/19/2014 9:40:59 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I read the first word of the first round and vote based on that.

I usually make up my mind in the beginning and just read the first round to come up with a good RFD. But sometimes I don't bother with the RFD and just say "PRO or CON made better and convincing arguments" and not bother wasting my time reading it.

You would be the perfect example of the vast majority of voters. You read the resolution, it either supports or contradicts your confirmation bias and vote accordingly. Making up some phony RFD because you can't vote without posting one.

on your last vote your give 3 points and explain it with this: "Con made better arguments" then you award spelling and grammar for no explained reason at all.

Read and vote on the debate, tell me what you come up with.

I am not the one preaching for extensive RFDs.

Did I ever say that?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%