Jump to topic:

Warped: A DDO Chronicle Chapter 1

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 7:00:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
A/N: I decided to just cut this chapter short. Chapter 2 will be up by tomorrow at the earliest, though. Hope you enjoy!

Previous chapter:

http://www.debate.org...

Chapter I: September 24, 2014

The boy groaned and slowly opened his eyes.

He didn't know why he had to, considering he was in front of his computer typing a lengthy block of words just a few minutes ago. The last thing he could remember was collapsing from pain.

He winced at the remembrance, albeit it was not too long ago. The pain...it had bothered him for only several minutes, and tolerable, but still torturous. Ever since he got home, closed his door, and went on his computer, a small pain in the back of his head began to grow. Scoffing at the possibility of brain tumor, he ignored the discomfort and began typing, with the length of his lines growing along with the pain. Finally, he was forced to clutch at his head only a couple of minutes later, wincing in agony. He felt himself lose consciousness, with the pain fading along with the world. Was he dying? He blacked out before he could hit the ground.

And here he was now. He tried to dust himself off as he got up...only to find that his hands were missing. No, his arms were too; and so was his whole body. He must be invisible. He slightly panicked, but reassured himself that he was dreaming while he was unconscious. Was it even possible to be conscious that you're dreaming while you're in a dream? Regardless, he took a close look around his surroundings.

He was standing in a massive courtyard, with a fountain and a lawn, which further intensified his theory that it was a dream. Relaxing, he paced around, inhaling the fresh air. It smelled pleasant, dotted with flowers and the fountain spouting water further than his eye could see above. The courtyard was massive, about the size of a football field now that he looked around, but was nothing compared to what it connected.

The courtyard was a focal point for two roads, which branched off from opposite sides of the circular pavement of the plaza. Both were meticulously clean, made of marble rather than gravel and concrete. In the distance, he could barely make out a metropolis on the end of the right road. As far as he could tell, there was no sound or movement coming from there, although it was in the late afternoon (at least that's what he assumed judging by the sun's position). He shrugged, since it was only a dream, and looked to the other road, which led off to another impressive building; which was difficult to describe, but looked like a...dome? Was it a palace of some sort, or a treasury? Regardless, it was much too far away to tell, only within sight due to its colossal height.

Oddly, this world looked uninhabited. The boy was just about to decide that no one had ever lived here since it was built when the classic snap of a twig was heard. He quickly spun around, locating the now broken rod of wood. "Who's there?" he asked, wary of his surroundings.

He got a lot more than he was expecting. A chorus of voices responded.

"Huh?"
"There's someone else here?"
"I'm not the only one here!"
"What is this?"
"This isn't a dream?"
"How many of us are here?"

Clamoring echoed throughout the courtyard, revealing just how many people were there, invisible. Suddenly, a loud whistle drove everyone into a moment's silence. The boy tensed. Was there a crowd around him? Why hadn't he bumped into anyone? The whistle faded, replaced by a loud voice.

"Everyone, calm down! We need to stay calm. We don't know exactly how we got here, or why, but we need to make certain of several things." Voices muttered, obviously not caring to listen.

"That's enough!" Another high-pitched whistle brought them to silence. "First of all, we are all invisible, correct? I can see that I am able to touch objects, but I find it odd that I haven't made contact with anyone invisible. This might mean that we are intangible to others." More muttering, but they didn't disagree.

"First of all, just how many people are here? There seem to be hundreds listening to me, but if we're all invisible, even more are spread out everywhere...hmm. Could everyone talk for five seconds straight?"

The invisible crowd compiled, also longing for answers. Instantly, the unintelligible waves of words echoed in the air, quickly fading away. It was quite deafening. Another voice could hardly make itself heard, with a hint of awe and fear. "Wow. There must be hundreds. Maybe even a thousand. But how long are we going to be--"

It was interrupted by the screeching blare of a trumpet, causing many invisible hands to cover their ears.

The boy, immune to such cacophonous noises, searched for the source. It sounded as if...yes. The sound was coming from the tall dome. He waited for something to happen, but the trumpet grew only louder until it started to discomfort the boy as well. He recognized that it was a summons of some sort.

Suddenly, he spotted several circles of flashing light that disappeared almost as quickly as it came into existence. Could those be the invisible people...? He forgot his thoughts as a circle enveloped him as well.

The circle dissolved around him, revealing a different change of surroundings. The boy looked down, and to his amazement, found his hands. He looked around, surrounded by visible people, all looking at themselves and around as more and more circles deployed more people at a rapid rate. As he looked around, the boy recognized the curved walls, and knew that they were in the distant dome from before, although it looked like an entirely different building.

From the outside, the dome looked like any skyscraper albeit its shape, but the interior was astounding. It was the size of a stadium, sure, but no seats, just a giant, circular room with a monumental glowing holograph towering in the center of the grounds, serving as the only light source of the room, if you could even call it a room. The walls were painted pitch black, but were covered in layers of labyrinthine webs of circuits and wire, glowing ever so faintly. The boy could tell that it was in the shape of a dome, though, but the roof was too high for him to see. He processed all of this within a few seconds, and brought his attention to the visible people, who were arriving at a surprising rate.

Being only thirteen, the boy was extremely annoyed that many of the adults were about his height or taller, even though he was far from being short for his age. He was wearing the exact same outfit he had been wearing while he was conscious; a plain blue T-shirt with worn jeans. He was incredibly skinny, along with slightly crooked glasses and a blank expression during most of times that hid his true intentions. His face was always deathly pale, although not from fright. In short, he was certain that if he lost any more weight, he'd turn invisible again when he turned to the side of a mirror.

Suddenly, the boy realized that there was a number in the glowing holograph, which was rapidly rising. 100...200...500...1,000...quickly escalating. He watched with fascination and anticipation. What could it possibly mean?

Grown men and women continued to murmur and scream in apprehension, obviously panicking in fear of this ominous and otherworldly room. The boy continued to watch the number. 2,000...

An older teenager beside him shouted in confusion. "What is this place? How did we get here? I was just in front of my computer a few moments ago...I want to go back! Let me go home!" Another spear of terror ran through the boy's mind. Could this not be a dream after all? 3,000...

Another voice pierced through the deafening blare of the trumpet. "I was in front of my computer too just a while ago! What happened to us? Is the whole world having a computer problem, or is it a website or--" 4,000...
Check out my DDO FanFic! http://www.debate.org...

"Revelation is a tyrannical despot, not 13 years old." -max.wallace

"hehehehe...ahahaha....wahaha...AHHHHHHHHHHHAHA....pant...pant...pant...""...that's like sex for you, isn't it?" RevL8ion on DDO and FlyingForever on Skype

"Just remember that Yama is more powerful than you, little mortal." -Yama

"XD I like you, Rev. Maybe I won't kill you off right away." -Endark
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 7:05:08 PM
The clamoring grew silent as the thousands of people strained to listen for wisdom that they did not possess at the moment. Finally, the boy decided to speak while maintaining his eyes on the growing number. The circles continued to flood into the room.

"I was on a website called debate.org. Sound familiar?"

Suddenly, the number exploded, dissolving into shards of blue. Surprisingly, there were no shrieks of fear. The boy found himself unable to speak, and he was immobilized. As soon as the number hit 5,000, the trumpet also abruptly stopped. The ominous silence in the air told the boy that everyone was also forced to be silent as well.

The holograph switched to a lighter color, and a cough was heard from the center pillar, loud enough for all 5,000 people to hear easily. The cough turned into words.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. I am sure that all of you are in a state of confusion right now regarding where you are, and I will be blunt. You are currently in a virtual world, an experiment created by the United States government."

The boy's eyes attempted to widen. It couldn't...it couldn't be...

The voice continued. "By now, you should have deduced that you are all members of a website called debate.org." His face grew pale. "Why are you here, and how? That is obviously classified and knowledge only to the United States government. All you need to know is that you are part of a Hostile Intelligence Eradication to make sure that all members of the website will not be a threat to this program. By the end of your time in this world, you will no longer be a threat to the cyber world."

The boy wanted to protest. Sure, he knew how to hack and had adept knowledge of code and programming, but the worst thing he'd done with a computer was to shut down all computers on his school network a year ago using a simple command.

"Unfortunately, the HIE is still a prototype, and is still illegal to use until it has been proved safe for use, which it has not been. Therefore, you are a part of an illegal experiment." The voice coughed before continuing. "The goal of this experiment is to locate the apex intelligence members of this community and make them into possible government officials in the future, or to negate them as they could become the next generation of criminal masterminds."

Again, the boy wanted protest, but it was as if there was an invisible zipper instead of his teeth. He could simply not get his mouth to open.

"How, you may ask? Well, we have also investigated in the website DDO, and found a particularly interesting game called Mafia, which has been proved to require high amounts of deductive reasoning and intelligence, and you should all be familiar with it. Therefore, this world is a massive virtual world of Mafia."

He sighed partly through his nostrils with relief, and just a microscopic hint of amusement. The government has stooped this low? If this was a world of Mafia, it wouldn't be so bad, although all of this was still unbelievable. On the other hand, even more questions sprouted up in his head.

"Unfortunately, being as this is a prototype, we can't remove people from the HIE link manually, and the only means of consciousness in the physical world is by turning off the electromagnetic waves currently residing in your real brains. They are now harmless, but you will not be able to escape by foul means."

The boy stared at the crackling holograph. This couldn't be happening. He repeatedly asked himself the same question over and over again: WHY?!

The voice continued once more after another cough. "There is one way you can escape, however." The boy held his breath. "In this world, you are constantly playing a Mafia game at any point. If you manage to prove yourself to be one of the five most intelligent people in this world, the wave will be terminated and you will be freed."

"However, there is still one condition." Another cough. "If you lose even one Mafia game, the wave will pick up a new command to emit high temperatures by removing the protective elements directly into your brain, allowing you to die in a matter of few seconds."

The boy would've fallen on his knees if he could have. Thoughts refusing the notion ran through his head. He must be joking. This was insane. This had to be a dream.

The voice cleared his throat before continuing. "In summary, you must be a survivor of the world of Mafia. If you die, your real body will die with it as well. More rules will be listed in the large city on the other side of this world. Goo--" the voice paused, and resumed. "Another person would like to talk to you about this new world, so that you will be able to learn how to live well during the duration of your life in this world." There was a short pause, and the boy was disgusted. What kind of sadistic ba5tard would treat this world as a...as a...game? He suddenly realized that this was a game to them. They were doing this not only to kill them, but for their own amusement. He tried to clench his fists, but the unrelenting pressure prevented him. Another voice picked up.

"Hello, Mafia players! I am the lead programmer of this first and fine virtual reality world. I would love to talk to you about the wonderful features this world has to offer, but I've downloaded a tutorial and an FRQ app on your cell phones, which should be in a pocket of your clothing. I hope you enjoy your time in this wonderful game of virtual Mafia!"

That little as5. The boy thought bitterly. What have we done wrong? Why are we chosen to become his text subjects?

The voice changed back to the original one. "That fool," he snarled. "He thinks that all of this is a game. He was so easy to trick. He thinks that you are playing a virtual game that he's created. Can you see now, players? There's no way out, and there's no way in. No one can save you. Only the intelligent will survive in this world, your old world, or any world. Do you understand?" The voice increased in volume with every word, and then went silent. The holograph dissolved into shards like the number.

The boy felt the pressure lifted from his body, but felt as if he grew even heavier. Around him, the thousands of people also appeared into view, mouths agape, blank stares, and the ominous silence hanging in the air of the room. He quickly regained his composure and wisely walked towards the tunnel before...a hysterical screaming was heard, accompanied with sobbing. It was all it took to send everyone into despair. The boy continued to walk back into the open air, abandoning the shrieks, yells, and weeping that echoed within the dome room. The walk slowly turned into a jog, and then a sprint, running from the depression of despair and misery and towards the new world of adventure and hope.

A/N: Well, that was a lot sooner than I expected, although 2.6k words isn't too shabby for one day. I just decided to split this chapter into something shorter. I know it doesn't really feel like fanfiction right now, but I promise I'll take care of that and actually get to the good part in the next chapter or so. I forgot to mention that each chapter will switch POVs, so tell me if you want to be the protagonist in the next chapter or not so I can decide. I'm suffering from a slight author's block right now, but I"ll be fine. Stay tuned!

"hehehehe...ahahaha....wahaha...AHHHHHHHHHHHAHA....pant...pant...pant...""...that's like sex for you, isn't it?" RevL8ion on DDO and FlyingForever on Skype

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:05:14 PM
Ooooohhhh love it!!!

Oh my God! They die IRL if they try to be dumba$$es?! Interesting...

But who was the boy?

That's an AWFUL lot of people for a mafia game. Lol.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:06:11 PM
I have no characters to root for. I think we need some names at some point.

It's am intriguing idea though. The incorporation of a virtual mafia. You could use actual DDO mafia players, if you liked. It sounds a bit like a cyber Hunger Games, but I liked that series, so I'll follow this and see how it turns out.

And of course the US government's being all shady again.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:10:13 PM
At 9/24/2014 8:06:11 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Root for us, whoever we are <3

It's am intriguing idea though. The incorporation of a virtual mafia. You could use actual DDO mafia players, if you liked. It sounds a bit like a cyber Hunger Games, but I liked that series, so I'll follow this and see how it turns out.
Ikr! So cute! I can't wait to see if you actually kill anyone Peeta. ;-)

Pfft. Like they ALL aren't? XD
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:14:49 PM
At 9/24/2014 8:05:14 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Ooooohhhh love it!!!

But who was the boy?

XD You'll find out in the next chapter; but POV will switch by then. Most likely there will be 200 groups of 25 players. I don't really have it all worked out yet, but something like the MVP and the winning faction survive for the next round, and the Mafia/Town NP scenes will be interesting...

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:17:10 PM

Definitely. I'm going to create a sign-up sheet so I can add some names and actually make this more into a fanfic at some point. >.>

Lol. Maybe all of the roles are in the Cornucopia and we all run to get Vig or JOAT. XD

Isn't it always? :3 But you'll find out more about the creepy guy who started this thing in the first place in the final chapters or so.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:18:22 PM
At 9/24/2014 8:14:49 PM, RevL8ion wrote:
Ooooohhhh love it!!!

But who was the boy?

XD You'll find out in the next chapter; but POV will switch by then. Most likely there will be 200 groups of 25 players. I don't really have it all worked out yet, but something like the MVP and the winning faction survive for the next round, and the Mafia/Town NP scenes will be interesting...

Oh dear,..

That last sentence- Annie!!! Get your mind out of the gutter!!!
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:19:29 PM
At 9/24/2014 8:17:10 PM, RevL8ion wrote:

Definitely. I'm going to create a sign-up sheet so I can add some names and actually make this more into a fanfic at some point. >.>

Just take them anyway. That's what I did for Once Upon a DDO.

Lol. Maybe all of the roles are in the Cornucopia and we all run to get Vig or JOAT. XD

XD imagine that.

Isn't it always? :3 But you'll find out more about the creepy guy who started this thing in the first place in the final chapters or so.

Sometimes it's the Soviets.
Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:22:45 PM
This is amazing Rev, but as ER said, I wouldn't mind hearing some names for characters sooner or later, but I digress this is brilliant and am following it all the way.

Just asking where did you get the inspiration to write something like this?
How come when I hit review it sometimes adds my post without me clicking add post?
Does this happen to other people?

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Learn to use emoticons DDO.
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:26:09 PM
At 9/24/2014 8:18:22 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Ooooohhhh love it!!!

But who was the boy?

Oh dear,..

O.o

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:27:23 PM
At 9/24/2014 8:26:09 PM, RevL8ion wrote:
At 9/24/2014 8:18:22 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
I don't really have it all worked out yet, but something like the MVP and the winning faction survive for the next round, and the Mafia/Town NP scenes will be interesting...

Oh dear,..

O.o

Tehehe
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:29:36 PM
At 9/24/2014 8:19:29 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/24/2014 8:17:10 PM, RevL8ion wrote:

Just take them anyway. That's what I did for Once Upon a DDO.

XD imagine that.

Sometimes it's the Soviets.

*Always

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 8:31:26 PM
At 9/24/2014 8:22:45 PM, Krieg01 wrote:
This is amazing Rev, but as ER said, I wouldn't mind hearing some names for characters sooner or later, but I digress this is brilliant and am following it all the way.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com...

Krieg01
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 11:12:07 PM
At 9/24/2014 8:31:26 PM, RevL8ion wrote:

Fair Enough Then, I won't question it.
How come when I hit review it sometimes adds my post without me clicking add post?
Does this happen to other people?

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Learn to use emoticons DDO.
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 9:15:42 AM
At 9/24/2014 11:12:07 PM, Krieg01 wrote:
At 9/24/2014 8:31:26 PM, RevL8ion wrote:

Fair Enough Then, I won't question it.

o3o

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 9:19:36 AM
Oh, by the way, how do you add horizontal lines here? I did <hr> but that didn't work since it's HTML. :S

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 9:58:58 PM
Chapter 2 is out! http://www.debate.org...

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 3:30:43 PM
BUMP nac
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2014 8:27:23 AM
At 9/24/2014 7:00:19 PM, RevL8ion wrote:

I am slowly starting to love and respect you, Rev - el - ation
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2014 10:08:41 AM
At 9/30/2014 8:27:23 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
At 9/24/2014 7:00:19 PM, RevL8ion wrote:

I am slowly starting to love and respect you, Rev - el - ation

Why thank you. :3
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Wait, what do you mean slowly? -_____________________- XD