Jump to topic:

A Debate Tournament

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:26:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Seeing as Johnicles hasp and committed suicide (Or so it seems), I'm proposing one.

It will be kind of like a U.N. debate tourney. Basically, it can go one of three ways:

1. I propose a broad resolution, and the debaters choose a country to take, varying with each resolution.
2. I propose a resolution for 2 nations each round, whom the debaters take the role of and debate the resolution.
3. The debaters choose a nation before hand, and then make a resolution depending on who they are paired with.

I'd like feedback for the optimal choice.

As a rough guideline, the debates should:

- Have the first round dedicated to the assumed countrys position on, argument for and solution to the resolution, where applicable.
- Have a reference to the constitution, and other legal documents, of the nation(s) involved where applicable.
- Have a reference to U.N. documents, where applicable.

I was also toying around with some resolutions, but it will depend on the optimal set-up.

--> The U.N. security council should be modified to allow more permanent members\ Remove pre-existing members to allow an equal balance of regional powers
--> The U.N. should prosecute the U.S.A for war crimes
--> The U.N. should not give aid to countries without a democracy, or ones which violate the democracy of the nation.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:30:42 AM
I don't think DDO has the attention span for tournaments. When is the last time we have actually finished a tournament?

Perhaps if someone made one with a prize for the winner people would stay interested?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:33:58 AM
At 3/31/2010 11:30:42 AM, JBlake wrote:
I don't think DDO has the attention span for tournaments. When is the last time we have actually finished a tournament?

Perhaps if someone made one with a prize for the winner people would stay interested?

A carrot on a stick 0.0? Nah, I want honest people :).
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:38:08 AM
I think the fact that some people are opposed to the U.N. in general might make things interesting lol but hopefully that's not too much of a factor in the spirit of debate. I'm not quite sure what set-up is best yet... admittedly I'm feeling sluggish and not really in a mood to weigh each option at full capacity lol but one option could be having the set-up change per round (per tournament round, I mean - not debate round, obviously) or according to the debaters and their preferences. Of course this can make things somewhat hard to manage or keep track of, but I think you have enough experience runnings things to make sure it's at least going fairly smoothly.

One thing I wanted to do with the TOC before my laptop committed suicide and caused all those problems (!!!) was have the debaters involved and essentially let them choose their own topics. However, obviously that can get a little complicated like I said... so it's up to you. But I do think it would be a good idea to get the debaters involved and perhaps even switch things up a bit as you go, like trying each debate topic or option you presented. People will be happier and more prone to debate if they like how it's arranged and approve of the topics. I think group involvement is key in these types of things where participation is required to make it successful. Good luck, and count me in unless otherwise informed :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:40:49 AM

Johnicle's in 2008 lol. And that took 9 months! It was a huge tournament though - much bigger than the recent ones which only have a handful of debaters who never wind up finishing their debates anyway.

Worked for me ;) Kidding - I just think people are more interested in the forums than debating. I actually find it frustrating and wish people would formally debate more instead of relying on forum debating which is essentially bloc debating. Liberals vs. Libertarians. Theists vs. Atheists. Same ol, same ol.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:42:05 AM
At 3/31/2010 11:38:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I think the fact that some people are opposed to the U.N. in general might make things interesting lol but hopefully that's not too much of a factor in the spirit of debate. I'm not quite sure what set-up is best yet... admittedly I'm feeling sluggish and not really in a mood to weigh each option at full capacity lol but one option could be having the set-up change per round (per tournament round, I mean - not debate round, obviously) or according to the debaters and their preferences. Of course this can make things somewhat hard to manage or keep track of, but I think you have enough experience runnings things to make sure it's at least going fairly smoothly.

One thing I wanted to do with the TOC before my laptop committed suicide and caused all those problems (!!!) was have the debaters involved and essentially let them choose their own topics. However, obviously that can get a little complicated like I said... so it's up to you. But I do think it would be a good idea to get the debaters involved and perhaps even switch things up a bit as you go, like trying each debate topic or option you presented. People will be happier and more prone to debate if they like how it's arranged and approve of the topics. I think group involvement is key in these types of things where participation is required to make it successful. Good luck, and count me in unless otherwise informed :)

So basically, like option 1 except the debaters themselves come up with resolution?
collegekitchen8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 12:22:11 PM
When is the last time we have actually finished a tournament?

The LM Classic is in the finals
: At 3/30/2010 12:57:51 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
: The universe is simple, It all makes sense given laws like gravity and stuff.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 12:29:11 PM
At 3/31/2010 12:24:33 PM, Volkov wrote:
If you get anything set up, I'll take part.

Any input on which route to take?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 12:30:43 PM
At 3/31/2010 12:29:11 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Any input on which route to take?

1 or 3, maybe leaning towards 3 if people are knowledgeable enough in issues surrounding any given country, 1 if they aren't,
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 12:32:15 PM
At 3/31/2010 11:42:05 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

So basically, like option 1 except the debaters themselves come up with resolution?

Maybe for 1 round, but then another round could use option 2. And the next could use option 3. Or, if people don't like option 2 or just generally like option 1 or 3 better, then choose that. OR, you can even let the individual debaters in each particular debate decide among themselves (that's what I was gonna do in the TOC) and then if they can't reach an agreement on what option to use, you just assign them one.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 12:35:22 PM
At 3/31/2010 12:32:15 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 3/31/2010 11:42:05 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Maybe for 1 round, but then another round could use option 2. And the next could use option 3. Or, if people don't like option 2 or just generally like option 1 or 3 better, then choose that. OR, you can even let the individual debaters in each particular debate decide among themselves (that's what I was gonna do in the TOC) and then if they can't reach an agreement on what option to use, you just assign them one.

That might be a bit sloppy, but sure, as log as they can reach some decision I won't really have an issue with it. If they can't I'll default to option 1.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 4:01:10 PM
I'm interested if this'll take place over the summer.

I'd like to add that L-M's prize didn't guarantee the finishing of his tournament.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 4:07:07 PM
At 3/31/2010 4:01:10 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I'm interested if this'll take place over the summer.

I'd like to add that L-M's prize didn't guarantee the finishing of his tournament.

Well, I was hoping for a blitz over the Easter break, but I will postpone until Late June \ July if that is optimal.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 8:56:17 AM
At 4/1/2010 5:27:11 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
I'll join, but please not all in June I have about 17 exams for that month.

Same, which is why I said Late June.

1. Lwerd
2. Volkov
3. Zetsubou
4. Wjmlements?
Ninja_Tru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 9:45:32 PM
Count me in too. My only worry is that if this becomes an international policy, then the debates will become kind of technical and will turn people off to the debating. The topics will look like "Peru should pursue television development" and will lead to exact discussions. Otherwise, the topics might get messy and be like "Mexico should get nuclear weapons." You may need some ideas of what things people could debate.
collegekitchen9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 9:53:02 PM
At 4/2/2010 9:45:32 PM, Ninja_Tru wrote:
Count me in too. My only worry is that if this becomes an international policy, then the debates will become kind of technical and will turn people off to the debating. The topics will look like "Peru should pursue television development" and will lead to exact discussions. Otherwise, the topics might get messy and be like "Mexico should get nuclear weapons." You may need some ideas of what things people could debate.

You won't play, you'll leave this site within 7 days.
Collegekitchen/askbob said: "we should monitor politicians spending"

Volkov responded "wat controlling and monitoring government spendin is zactly like Big Brother!"

: : At 3/30/2010 6:44:38 AM, belle wrote:
: : : At 3/29/2010 7:19:19 PM, wjmelements wrote:
: : : I think I have an irregular heartbeat.
: :
: : you're going to die.

: At 4/3/2010 6:33:02 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: I think people care about what I think

no
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 9:24:10 AM
I'd like to participate, and I second the "wait until summer" idea :) Preferably late June/July, as I'll be traveling during the whole second week of June (nationals).