Jump to topic:

Ethnic Identity

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 10:33:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why cant I select multiple options under my profile selection called "Ethnicity:"?

Ever since I was younger, I always hated filling out electronic forms that only let me choose one ethnic category. I would simply be lying if I picked only one. Hell, I would be lying if I only picked three.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 10:36:56 PM
Choose the one most applicable. Just like on tests or quizzes, sometimes there might be more than one answer, but you're supposed to choose the best one.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 10:44:12 PM
At 3/31/2010 10:36:56 PM, Nags wrote:
Choose the one most applicable. Just like on tests or quizzes, sometimes there might be more than one answer, but you're supposed to choose the best one.

Choosing only one option is too limiting.

Imagine being given a survey about religion and only having two options?

Are you a:

A.) Muslim
B.) Christian

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 10:46:55 PM
At 3/31/2010 10:43:26 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Some people don't feel that one is most applicable.

That's impossible. There must be, necessarily, one ethnicity that is more applicable than another. It's impossible for two or more to be equal.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 10:48:53 PM
At 3/31/2010 10:44:12 PM, Freeman wrote:

Are you a:

A.) Muslim
B.) Christian

Or how bout this one:

A) Democrat
B) Republican

Same concept.

Who knew Nags, out of all people, would make such an argument?
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 10:49:09 PM
False dilemma. This isn't giving you two options. It's giving you numerous options. Just look at the religion list, there's much more than the two you mentioned.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 10:51:21 PM
At 3/31/2010 10:46:55 PM, Nags wrote:

That's impossible. There must be, necessarily, one ethnicity that is more applicable than another. It's impossible for two or more to be equal.

Are you a racist?

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 10:51:52 PM
At 3/31/2010 10:46:55 PM, Nags wrote:

Clearly you don't know that many multiracial people.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 10:53:50 PM
Thankfully I'm all white so don't have this problem. I can totally see where you're coming from though. Must be annoying to be so limited.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 10:55:26 PM
Lmao. I knew Freeman would say that.

It's impossible for someone to have two ethnicities that are absolutely identical. And that is a fact. Choose the ethnicity that is more true or persistent than the other.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:02:45 PM
At 3/31/2010 10:55:26 PM, Nags wrote:

It's impossible for someone to have two ethnicities that are absolutely identical. And that is a fact. Choose the ethnicity that is more true or persistent than the other.

Are you purposefully missing the point?

Of course if two ethnicities were absolutely identical they would be the same thing.

But there are some multiracial people who feel divided as to which ethnicity is "more persistent" or "more true" (what the heck does that even mean?).
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:09:14 PM
At 3/31/2010 10:55:26 PM, Nags wrote:

I don't know Nags. You worry me sometimes.

"Whites have continually proved to be smarter and more intelligent than blacks, as evidenced by Europeans domination of Africans. If given the choice of a white European or a black African to lead your country, it would be wise to be racist and choose the white European." -Nags

Ok, here are a few hypothetical situations. Tell me which pick you think is the "most applicable"?

A.) Japanese, Black
B.) Filipino, White, Indian
C.) Chinese, Hispanic, Native American
D.) White, Black, Hispanic, Native American, Japanese

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:15:25 PM

Are you a:

A.) Muslim
B.) Christian

Do you seriously feel that emotionally and intellectually connected to your race?

My answer to this is:

Who cares!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:18:53 PM
At 3/31/2010 10:53:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Thankfully I'm all white so don't have this problem. I can totally see where you're coming from though. Must be annoying to be so limited.

White? You really think that pins down your race?

Irish, French, Danish, Polish, German, Italian, Spanish...?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:19:20 PM
At 3/31/2010 11:15:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Are you a:

A.) Muslim
B.) Christian

Do you seriously feel that emotionally and intellectually connected to your race?

My answer to this is:

Who cares!

I don't care at all. But, at the same time, I don't like being boxed in.

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:20:05 PM
Sorry for taking long to post, I'm on my iPhone.

@pop

It's illogical to have two ethnicities that are equally representing of a person. Sure, a person might be divided, but that's not the lists' fault, it's the person's fault. One ethnicity must be, necessarily, more representing of a person than another ethnicity.

@Freeman

That's not an option on this site and I've never experienced such an option, so I don't see the relevance.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:26:54 PM
At 3/31/2010 11:20:05 PM, Nags wrote:
Sorry for taking long to post, I'm on my iPhone.

@pop

It's illogical to have two ethnicities that are equally representing of a person. Sure, a person might be divided, but that's not the lists' fault, it's the person's fault. One ethnicity must be, necessarily, more representing of a person than another ethnicity.

@Freeman

That's not an option on this site and I've never experienced such an option, so I don't see the relevance.

You're dodging my question.

Imagine meeting these multiracial people.

A.) Japanese, Black
B.) Filipino, White, Indian
C.) Chinese, Hispanic, Native American
D.) White, Black, Hispanic, Native American, Japanese

Please, by all means, tell me which option person A, B, C, and D should choose.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:28:40 PM
At 3/31/2010 11:19:20 PM, Freeman wrote:

My answer to this is:

Who cares!

I don't care at all. But, at the same time, I don't like being boxed in.

By saying that, you are acknowledging that it has even a slight bit of importance. I think being labeled one race or a mixture of races is being boxed in. I belong to the human race.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:30:13 PM
A person can be multiracial, sure. However, a person can not be equiracial. Meaning, a person can't be 50% Race A, 50% Race B. One race must be more prevalent somewhere down the bloodlines.
infam0us
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:35:16 PM

Are you a:

A.) Muslim
B.) Christian

My answer to this is:

Who cares!

FOR REAL. this guy knows what's going on.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:36:45 PM
At 3/31/2010 11:30:13 PM, Nags wrote:
A person can be multiracial, sure. However, a person can not be equiracial. Meaning, a person can't be 50% Race A, 50% Race B. One race must be more prevalent somewhere down the bloodlines.

If we went by strict necessity, it is possible to be 50% Race A and 50% Race B.

Practically though, I agree it's highly unlikely to happen. However, what is the case is that such a distinction may be similar and thus it leaves the person at a difficult choice. For example, what would a child from a Chinese father and a British mother choose? Would ethnic identity refer to which he looks like more, acts like more (whatever that means), culturally identifies with more, what?

The problem with ethnic identity is that one can refer to many variables (culture, language, religion, etc.) that isn't so easily encapsulated by a few multiple choice bubbles.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 11:41:28 PM
Strict necessicity, I suppose. But 0.000000000001% or less is the chance of a 50/50 split.

I don't really care if people can't gage which ethnicity they identify to more. There is one ethnicity which they belong to more. The divisiveness is irrelevant.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 5:00:31 AM
You only have one ethnicity... multi-racial people don't have multiple ethnicities, they have a mixed ethnicity. *facepalm*
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 10:36:40 AM
At 3/31/2010 11:41:28 PM, Nags wrote:
Strict necessicity, I suppose. But 0.000000000001% or less is the chance of a 50/50 split.

I don't really care if people can't gage which ethnicity they identify to more. There is one ethnicity which they belong to more. The divisiveness is irrelevant.

lol i like how you speak of "belonging to an ethnicity" like its something that can be determined exactly. a genetic test will probably get you broad strokes, but ethnicity is just as much cultural as it is genetic. and a genetic test certainly wouldn't be enough to determine what ethnicity someone "really is" if they have 2 parents of different races.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 2:21:11 PM
I hate these forms too, although they are probably neccesary. In England they are huge and cover numerous variations and combinations such as Mixed (African-Carribean and Chinese-Mandarin) or Mixed (White-Irish and Native American) etc.

I fit into the White (British) box which in my case probably includes Celtic, Saxon, Viking, Germanic, Norman and Semitic stock.

My daughter (although she is too young to fill in these forms herself) and her mum both fit into the Mixed (other) category, although like many people, my daughter's mother often chooses to tick the Not Saying box.

Often at work I have to fill in these forms on behalf of the young people participating in my music sessions and just guess what box to put them in rather than quiz them all on their ethnic background.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 5:32:54 PM
At 4/1/2010 10:36:40 AM, belle wrote:

lol i like how you speak of "belonging to an ethnicity" like its something that can be determined exactly. a genetic test will probably get you broad strokes, but ethnicity is just as much cultural as it is genetic. and a genetic test certainly wouldn't be enough to determine what ethnicity someone "really is" if they have 2 parents of different races.

In Sociology the term ethnicity is purely social. It is how one perceives one self and his or her affiliation to a social group.

Race is the Medical/Biological term.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2010 5:35:09 PM
At 4/1/2010 5:32:54 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 4/1/2010 10:36:40 AM, belle wrote:

In Sociology the term ethnicity is purely social. It is how one perceives one self and his or her affiliation to a social group.

Race is the Medical/Biological term.

yar, thats kind of what i meant. belonging to an ethnic group isn't purely genetic; people can easily identify with 2 or more ethnicities equally. so nags is full of it :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...