Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:03:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/25/2014 4:42:10 PM, Mikal wrote:
To anyone that voted for Con in this debate

http://www.debate.org...

Defend your RFD outside of confirmation bias. Endark refuses to defend it

I like LostintheEcho1498's RFD: The best rape is no rape. Pro didn't define the criteria for judging rape, so that's left to the voters, isn't it?
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:23:33 PM
At 9/25/2014 5:03:47 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

I like LostintheEcho1498's RFD: The best rape is no rape. Pro didn't define the criteria for judging rape, so that's left to the voters, isn't it?

Because he didn't define a criteria does not change the guidelines that a rape had to be presented in the form of an article where it is to be judged. The argument would be valid as subjectivity involving the rapes presented is entirely in the mind of the voters. So at best if he presented an article to be reviewed (which he didn't) , he could get arguments at most due to subjectively of what is a good rape and a bad rape. However he presented nothing in the debate at all and strictly violated the rules therein along with insulting and bashing wylted.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:25:59 PM
At 9/25/2014 5:23:33 PM, Mikal wrote:

Because he didn't define a criteria does not change the guidelines that a rape had to be presented in the form of an article where it is to be judged. The argument would be valid as subjectivity involving the rapes presented is entirely in the mind of the voters. So at best if he presented an article to be reviewed (which he didn't) , he could get arguments at most due to subjectively of what is a good rape and a bad rape. However he presented nothing in the debate at all and strictly violated the rules therein along with insulting and bashing wylted.

That's certainly your interpretation. Another interpretation was simply to present the best rape, and posting articles was the mechanism for submitting a rape. To argue that no rape is better than any rape is still a valid tactic and not against any stated rules.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:26:19 PM
At 9/25/2014 5:05:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Your debate challenge insults me and offends me. Why would I accept?

To defend an RFD that is objectively invalid
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:26:58 PM
At 9/25/2014 5:26:19 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 9/25/2014 5:05:58 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Your debate challenge insults me and offends me. Why would I accept?

To defend an RFD that is objectively invalid

Drafter summarises the whole point nicely.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:30:20 PM
At 9/25/2014 5:25:59 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

That's certainly your interpretation. Another interpretation was simply to present the best rape, and posting articles was the mechanism for submitting a rape. To argue that no rape is better than any rape is still a valid tactic and not against any stated rules.

" An article *must* be posted"

Again you can play semantics with it all you want, but the guidelines and rules clearly stated what must be done. He failed to adhere to anything in the debate. In regards to that 7 points must be justified. Ignore the fact that yahey was constantly insulting wylted, refusing to debate, and just making a straight azz of himself throughout the entire debate

You can protest the issue if you want, but protesting it in the form of a vote is intellectually incoherent and a disgrace to site voting.

Nothing about that debate is going to be removed according to the votes sadly. There is no reason to remove votes that are going to bear no effect on the outcome of the debate at all. At least that is something airmax would probably say. It is pointless to remove those type of votes when the debate is so one sided, but it is about intellectual honesty. Its supporting confirmation bias and trying to find a way to affirm via semantics. Its literally a blatant vote bomb.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:36:09 PM
At 9/25/2014 5:30:20 PM, Mikal wrote:

" An article *must* be posted"

What are you quoting?

Again you can play semantics with it all you want, but the guidelines and rules clearly stated what must be done. He failed to adhere to anything in the debate. In regards to that 7 points must be justified. Ignore the fact that yahey was constantly insulting wylted, refusing to debate, and just making a straight azz of himself throughout the entire debate

You can protest the issue if you want, but protesting it in the form of a vote is intellectually incoherent and a disgrace to site voting.

Then report them.

Nothing about that debate is going to be removed according to the votes sadly. There is no reason to remove votes that are going to bear no effect on the outcome of the debate at all. At least that is something airmax would probably say. It is pointless to remove those type of votes when the debate is so one sided, but it is about intellectual honesty. Its supporting confirmation bias and trying to find a way to affirm via semantics. Its literally a blatant vote bomb.

It's a debate about "the best rape." Issues of intellectual honesty are not in play here.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:39:44 PM
What are you quoting?

The rules almost verbatim where is says a link to a rape must be posted which con ignored and chose not to do violating the rules of the debate upon acceptance

Then report them.

I did, they won't be removed .Airmax is not going to trouble himself removing votes in this type of debate when it is so one sided. Irregardless the point is about confirmation bias and proper voting habits. Blatant vote bombing is disgraceful

It's a debate about "the best rape." Issues of intellectual honesty are not in play here.

It is very much applicable in regards to proper voting procedures and not manipulated standards via confirmation bias and protest voting.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:43:17 PM
At 9/25/2014 5:39:44 PM, Mikal wrote:
What are you quoting?

The rules almost verbatim where is says a link to a rape must be posted which con ignored and chose not to do violating the rules of the debate upon acceptance

Not in the first round. Not verbatim.

Then report them.

I did, they won't be removed .Airmax is not going to trouble himself removing votes in this type of debate when it is so one sided. Irregardless the point is about confirmation bias and proper voting habits. Blatant vote bombing is disgraceful

So is a debate about rape. Ever hear of civil disobedience?

It is very much applicable in regards to proper voting procedures and not manipulated standards via confirmation bias and protest voting.

Sometimes not following the rules is the best course of action.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:53:20 PM

Not really. To say that "the best rape is no rape" is a contradiction. How can no rape be the best rape if it's not rape? It's like saying: The greatest cheeseburger on the planet isn't a cheeseburger.

I don't think rape can be "good". It's only twisted or more twisted. However, to say that "no rape" is the best rape is simply nonsense. It's saying... Of all the cases of rape, this one is the best. The case of rape which is not a case of rape.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:54:52 PM
At 9/25/2014 5:53:20 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Not really. To say that "the best rape is no rape" is a contradiction. How can no rape be the best rape if it's not rape? It's like saying: The greatest cheeseburger on the planet isn't a cheeseburger.

Yeah, it's like saying 0 is the greatest of some set of numbers! That can't happen. Unless the other numbers are negative.

I don't think rape can be "good". It's only twisted or more twisted. However, to say that "no rape" is the best rape is simply nonsense. It's saying... Of all the cases of rape, this one is the best. The case of rape which is not a case of rape.

Some voters obviously disagree with you on that.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:55:56 PM
At 9/25/2014 5:54:52 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Yeah, it's like saying 0 is the greatest of some set of numbers! That can't happen. Unless the other numbers are negative.

Wait... I'm confused. Maybe I misunderstood, but weren't you the one saying that was a valid RFD?

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 5:59:04 PM
At 9/25/2014 5:55:56 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Wait... I'm confused. Maybe I misunderstood, but weren't you the one saying that was a valid RFD?

I am.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:03:30 PM
At 9/25/2014 5:59:04 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

I am.

Your analogy of the numbers are bad. Something can't be negatively existing, now can it?

If someone asks me: What is the best movie you've ever seen? Can I reply "The absence of a movie is the best movie I've ever seen, because all the other ones were bad." Obviously not, because the absence of a movie isn't a *movie* to begin with. It can't be put in taht category.

For the same reasons, "not rape" can't be put into the category of "rape". It can't be counted as rape... Because it's not. As such, it can't be comparatively a "better rape" or "worse rape."

The question isn't whether or not "no rape" is better than "rape"... it's whether "no rape" is a "better rape" than "x rape". But "no rape" can't be put into the category of rape to begin with, and as such can't be comparatively "better rape".

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:05:02 PM

The reason is because they can't.

They will claim "well he didn't reaaaally break the rules" but the only reason they think this is because they want an excuse to vote against Wylted.

Or they'll say "the best rape is no rape and he posted no rape so he wins"... which is horribly illogical, and simply a contradiction as I've shown in this thread.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:06:06 PM

I am.

You must defend the premise...

"Not rape is rape". Good luck.

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:06:52 PM
At 9/25/2014 6:05:02 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

They will claim "well he didn't reaaaally break the rules" but the only reason they think this is because they want an excuse to vote against Wylted.

Or they'll say "the best rape is no rape and he posted no rape so he wins"... which is horribly illogical, and simply a contradiction as I've shown in this thread.

The logic of a paradox is that it makes sense.
Try again.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:07:28 PM

Me and zaradi were talking about this forever. Its not that you can't justify a neg argument, but the reasons they are using to justify it are horrible. The only logically way to validate a neg vote is to say its a K and that he challenging the criteria within the debate.

Then you have to list why

the logic behind

" A good rape is a no rape, is literally incoherent"

Its literally implying nothing ever occurred or existed. This entire debate should be changed to whether or not DDO should support debates like this because that is what its really about
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:09:24 PM

I think a good argument could be made that there's no such thing as a "best" rape because no rape is good and thus the debate is impossible to have. It didn't look like Con made that argument though. This is the kind of debate that I'm definitely staying the hell away from...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:10:06 PM
At 9/25/2014 6:09:24 PM, thett3 wrote:

I think a good argument could be made that there's no such thing as a "best" rape because no rape is good and thus the debate is impossible to have. It didn't look like Con made that argument though. This is the kind of debate that I'm definitely staying the hell away from...

Thank God someone sees it.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:13:24 PM
At 9/25/2014 6:06:52 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Try again.

How is it a paradox? It's a contradiction, as I've shown.

The only way the argument works is if you accept the premise "No rape is a form of rape." ONLY then can it be put in the same group as all other rape, and compared as being a better "rape" or not.

You're claiming the statement "no rape is a form of rape" is a paradox.

A paradox is defined as...

"A statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory:"

Please show how the statement "No rape is a form of rape" is a paradox. You haven;t.

I've shown that it's a contradiction though.

P1: Anything that violates the law of identity is a contradiction.
P2: The statement "No rape is rape" violates the law of identity.
C: The statement "No rape is rape" is a contradiction

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:13:50 PM

I agree. Rape is inherently disordered. But the people who are making the RFDs are essentially making up their own arguments to vote Con.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:15:35 PM
At 9/25/2014 6:10:06 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

The debate is NOT about whether or not "no rape" is a better *thing* than "rape" but whether or not "no rape" is a better *rape* than "rape".

Since "no rape" can NOT be classified in the category of "rape" it cannot be considered a "better" rape.

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:17:03 PM
At 9/25/2014 6:15:35 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 9/25/2014 6:10:06 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

The debate is NOT about whether or not "no rape" is a better *thing* than "rape" but whether or not "no rape" is a better *rape* than "rape".

Since "no rape" can NOT be classified in the category of "rape" it cannot be considered a "better" rape.

For the last time
The debate is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT a comparisons of "which rape is better."
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:17:38 PM
At 9/25/2014 6:13:24 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Try again.

The only way the argument works is if you accept the premise "No rape is a form of rape." ONLY then can it be put in the same group as all other rape, and compared as being a better "rape" or not.

"A statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory:"

Please show how the statement "No rape is a form of rape" is a paradox. You haven;t.

I'm guessing you were the kid who didn't get 1984.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:18:41 PM
At 9/25/2014 6:17:38 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 9/25/2014 6:13:24 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Try again.

I'm guessing you were the kid who didn't get 1984.

That doesn't refute my arguments.

I've presented arguments, and refuted your arguments.

You've not presented any arguments, and haven't refuted my arguments.

TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 6:19:26 PM
At 9/25/2014 6:06:06 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

I am.

You must defend the premise...

"Not rape is rape". Good luck.

Actually the challenger has that burden, as judged by the voters.