"Creeping" on DDO

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 6:52:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've noticed a pattern occurring with members who have left the site in the past. They "creep" on the site as if it's an ex-girlfriend they are still facebook friends with. It's obvious that anyone can read the threads and check the site out after they de-activate their accounts, but let's be real - you left. For some reason or another, you chose to leave the site. So why must you feed this nasty habit of looking at things from afar when clearly the site still holds some interest to you? Why not just remain on the site but not be as active? What are you actually accomplishing by making a point about leaving, only to return briefly while, again, making a big deal of it?

Are you really that starved for attention?

*Disclaimer: This is directed to everyone who has made a point about "leaving" only to return a few days, weeks, or months later. Kinda defeats the entire point doesn't it?!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
MonetaryOffset
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 6:55:08 PM
At 9/26/2014 6:52:18 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've noticed a pattern occurring with members who have left the site in the past. They "creep" on the site as if it's an ex-girlfriend they are still facebook friends with. It's obvious that anyone can read the threads and check the site out after they de-activate their accounts, but let's be real - you left. For some reason or another, you chose to leave the site. So why must you feed this nasty habit of looking at things from afar when clearly the site still holds some interest to you? Why not just remain on the site but not be as active? What are you actually accomplishing by making a point about leaving, only to return briefly while, again, making a big deal of it?

*Disclaimer: This is directed to everyone who has made a point about "leaving" only to return a few days, weeks, or months later. Kinda defeats the entire point doesn't it?!

I'm guilty of this, and I agree with you: there isn't much of a point to actually deactivating. Some, I'm sure, do it for the attention, and that's evident in the "Goodbye, DDO, this site sucks" type threads. For others, or at least in my case, deactivating was a way of applying discipline since I knew I spent too much time on the site and, with how busy I was and still am, it would be highly detrimental to my goals. But, sure, if I'm simply going to lurk, as I clearly did, it does defeat the entire purpose.
~JMK

9:43 P.M. EST, Nov 5, 2014: I became a basic white girl.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:01:39 PM
Its interesting to know that ChosenWolf, Imabench and RationalMadman came back to DDO at the same time. Coincidence? I think not.

ChosenWolf, Imabench and RationalMadman are not three different people with three different accounts, but one person with three multi-accounts.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:01:47 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is directed primarily towards Jifpop and Imabench, isn't it?
Strange how they both came back on the same day at nearly the same time.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:02:08 PM
At 9/26/2014 6:55:08 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm guilty of this, and I agree with you: there isn't much of a point to actually deactivating. Some, I'm sure, do it for the attention, and that's evident in the "Goodbye, DDO, this site sucks" type threads. For others, or at least in my case, deactivating was a way of applying discipline since I knew I spent too much time on the site and, with how busy I was and still am, it would be highly detrimental to my goals. But, sure, if I'm simply going to lurk, as I clearly did, it does defeat the entire purpose.

Wait, you're guilty of this? Well, for what it's worth, you certainly weren't someone I was aiming at just now, lol.

If someone has a reasonable reason for leaving then that's one thing, I was really focusing this towards those who do the whole "goodbye - ddo sucks" routine. When those people return it just defeats the whole purpose of their "I'm gone" show.

At this point, I'd totally lurk as well - but that's why I don't leave, because I know that I'd still be interested in what's happening here. I'm addicted to DDO and I accept that, lol. As long as I manage to balance it with my school/work demands I'm good.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:05:08 PM
At 9/26/2014 7:01:39 PM, XLAV wrote:
Its interesting to know that ChosenWolf, Imabench and RationalMadman came back to DDO at the same time. Coincidence? I think not.

ChosenWolf, Imabench and RationalMadman are not three different people with three different accounts, but one person with three multi-accounts.

http://www.partiallyexaminedlife.com...
MonetaryOffset
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:05:54 PM
At 9/26/2014 7:02:08 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Wait, you're guilty of this? Well, for what it's worth, you certainly weren't someone I was aiming at just now, lol.

Haha, yeah, I did. I even went so far as to lock myself out of my account. Never doing that again..

If someone has a reasonable reason for leaving then that's one thing, I was really focusing this towards those who do the whole "goodbye - ddo sucks" routine. When those people return it just defeats the whole purpose of their "I'm gone" show.

I figured as much, and I completely agree.

At this point, I'd totally lurk as well - but that's why I don't leave, because I know that I'd still be interested in what's happening here. I'm addicted to DDO and I accept that, lol. As long as I manage to balance it with my school/work demands I'm good.

I feel exactly the same way, and it seems as though I've been making strides recently toward time management! I certainly have much more free time now than I thought I would about a month ago.
~JMK

9:43 P.M. EST, Nov 5, 2014: I became a basic white girl.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:08:18 PM
At 9/26/2014 7:01:47 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

No!! Wait... yes, yes it is.

The drama attracts lurkers who like to talk alot, as evidenced by the events today. I just call it how I see it, the drama was like cheese for the rats.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:10:26 PM
At 9/26/2014 7:08:18 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The drama attracts lurkers who like to talk alot, as evidenced by the events today. I just call it how I see it, the drama was like cheese for the rats.

Does this mean that Rational Madman is also lurking?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:10:59 PM
At 9/26/2014 7:05:54 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
At 9/26/2014 7:02:08 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Haha, yeah, I did. I even went so far as to lock myself out of my account. Never doing that again..

I figured as much, and I completely agree.

I feel exactly the same way, and it seems as though I've been making strides recently toward time management! I certainly have much more free time now than I thought I would about a month ago.

Same here, lol. When my last semester started up I was thinking I was in trouble because I was used to spending all day on DDO during the summer. I'm impressed with my time management improvements as well, haha. Cheers to us!
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 7:13:34 PM
At 9/26/2014 7:10:26 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 9/26/2014 7:08:18 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Does this mean that Rational Madman is also lurking?

I think he's the most guilty of this out of anyone. He always knows what's happening on DDO and will even hop into Google hangouts sometimes even though he doesn't have an active account. If there was an award for lurking, he'd be the recipient.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 8:27:25 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's about time someone said something about this. I noticed an increase in accounts deactivating. I feel you on this Blade. It's really annoying when people do this. What's the point of writing a good bye and coming back later? There's really no need to write a good bye letter on the forums. Just leave - PM people your contact info. and whatever you need to, there's really no point in making it public. I think people who do that are just starving for attention. There's obviously some reason people monitor what goes on this site and if i learned anything from the Bible, it's that indecisiveness will lead you to the right or wrong, but there's no in the middle.