Advice needed

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 6:01:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/26/2014 6:10:28 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
edeb8 is fine if you want to argue with the moderator all the time. That guy is all over the place trying to dominate all of the discussiions. Somebody who goes to that site please do me a favor and tell him I said we all deserve to burn in Hell and we will if we are not saved by God from it through the only Saviour, God the Son who took our death and rose bodily from the dead so we can be forgiven and have eternal life. Let me know how it goes.

I just want to let you know... this comment hurt me personally today.

I browse random threads from time to time. I totally understand that sometimes I'll come across a thread with posts from people who don't like me. Sometimes there have been people who have outright lied in order to hurt me. In this case, it can be argued that this is just a matter of opinion. In my opinion though, it's undeserved. Quite frankly I think LifeMeansGodIsGood didn't think I'd read it, and even if they did think that, didn't think I'd care.

The bigger issue is in the general portrayal of me as some kind of loner who sits around on edeb8 "all the time" and takes pride in "dominating" others, particularly those of particular faiths, and further that making aggressive comments towards me in the hope of provoking a response (popularly known as "trolling") is the appropriate response to that scenario. It's less of an insult to me as it is an insult to everything I've done and achieved. Moreover, it's an insult to this community.

I won't speak for or against anything that's happened between other members on this site. It's not my problem. I'm just frustrated that after I leave this site to avoid drama (because people were harassing me again over something I didn't do), somebody goes to another site unaffiliated with DDO, gathers up drama on me, and then brings it here, and THEN encourages people to go to my site to stir up more drama over there.

This happened on a thread that has been read and replied to many times over the last 10 hours and nobody bats an eye. This is apparently normal around here. Not one person even suggests that asking somebody else to troll on a third-party website is not cool.

I've asked this before, so I'm going to ask it again, for the millionth time: debating is still fun right?

I do put in a lot of effort into debate. I care deeply about online debate as a whole, and it's a huge part of my life. I don't do this to be trolled. I don't do this to dominate others either. I do this because making arguments is fun. It's competitive, but it's supposed to be the friendly sort of competitive where you shake hands and hang out afterwards, not the vicious, mean sort of competitive you see sometimes. And to see the "good" sort of debate be so easily discarded is what hurts me personally most of all.

I see that even quitting this website for months (only coming back to organize WODC briefly) and deliberately going out of my way to avoid drama even when multiple people have private-messaged me trying to involve me in it, has failed to work. You by and large still seem to hate me just as much as ever. I'm going to think long and hard about what I should do now.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 6:11:07 AM
At 9/27/2014 6:01:41 AM, larztheloser wrote:

I want to say this with the utmost respect, but that guy is an idiot. Literally have you read his debates and comments, he a primary example of what is wrong with DDO. He has the IQ of deformed rock and his debates are so painful to read that if you manage to read through one, there is a high probability you will get cancer. I would not pay attention to anything he says

I can say all the other remarks have less to do with you and more to do with jifpop. Everyone on here hates him, and I think we are holding out hope if he goes over there you will ban him as well. He is a detriment to every site he has joined and people just do no want to interact with him at all. He's went as far as writing RFDS for people, setting debates up to try and force people to win, and personally humility and threatening people on a personal basis.

People just want him off of DDO, and for what it's worth I hope you decide to kick him of edb8 as well. I'm really impressed with what you did and the passion you have for debate.

Don't stunt what that God fuk is saying bro. He is a special kind of special.
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 6:25:06 AM
edeb8 is fine if you want to argue with the moderator all the time. That guy is all over the place trying to dominate all of the discussiions. Somebody who goes to that site please do me a favor and tell him I said we all deserve to burn in Hell and we will if we are not saved by God from it through the only Saviour, God the Son who took our death and rose bodily from the dead so we can be forgiven and have eternal life. Let me know how it goes.

I browse random threads from time to time. I totally understand that sometimes I'll come across a thread with posts from people who don't like me. Sometimes there have been people who have outright lied in order to hurt me. In this case, it can be argued that this is just a matter of opinion. In my opinion though, it's undeserved. Quite frankly I think LifeMeansGodIsGood didn't think I'd read it, and even if they did think that, didn't think I'd care.

The bigger issue is in the general portrayal of me as some kind of loner who sits around on edeb8 "all the time" and takes pride in "dominating" others, particularly those of particular faiths, and further that making aggressive comments towards me in the hope of provoking a response (popularly known as "trolling") is the appropriate response to that scenario. It's less of an insult to me as it is an insult to everything I've done and achieved. Moreover, it's an insult to this community.

I won't speak for or against anything that's happened between other members on this site. It's not my problem. I'm just frustrated that after I leave this site to avoid drama (because people were harassing me again over something I didn't do), somebody goes to another site unaffiliated with DDO, gathers up drama on me, and then brings it here, and THEN encourages people to go to my site to stir up more drama over there.

This happened on a thread that has been read and replied to many times over the last 10 hours and nobody bats an eye. This is apparently normal around here. Not one person even suggests that asking somebody else to troll on a third-party website is not cool.

I've asked this before, so I'm going to ask it again, for the millionth time: debating is still fun right?

I do put in a lot of effort into debate. I care deeply about online debate as a whole, and it's a huge part of my life. I don't do this to be trolled. I don't do this to dominate others either. I do this because making arguments is fun. It's competitive, but it's supposed to be the friendly sort of competitive where you shake hands and hang out afterwards, not the vicious, mean sort of competitive you see sometimes. And to see the "good" sort of debate be so easily discarded is what hurts me personally most of all.

I see that even quitting this website for months (only coming back to organize WODC briefly) and deliberately going out of my way to avoid drama even when multiple people have private-messaged me trying to involve me in it, has failed to work. You by and large still seem to hate me just as much as ever. I'm going to think long and hard about what I should do now.

As Mikal said, just ignore such comments. And he is right, most of that thread was not even about edeb8.
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 8:05:50 AM

I don't hate you, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of anyone that hates you here. . .

LMGIG is a, as Mikal said, special person. No one else thinks that. Ignore him.

Your site is awesome, and you've done tons to make it what it is today. Be proud of your accomplishments, and your awesomeness.

#haters-gun-hate #shake-it-off
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 8:53:42 AM

If only edeb8 had the population of debate.org. I would only use edeb8, its features are so much better. However debate.org has population. I usually get a reply to a debate on ddo in a few days. On edeb8 I would hardly get any response.

I think this is the problem with a lot of users. They all wait for others to go to edeb8. Just to show you how bogus LMGIG is, I will now debate one debate every 2 weeks or so on edeb8.

Your site is awesome. Just simply that. You are an excellent debater, do not go for what LMGIG is saying. :)
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 10:35:54 AM
At 9/27/2014 8:53:42 AM, Ajabi wrote:

If only edeb8 had the population of debate.org. I would only use edeb8, its features are so much better. However debate.org has population. I usually get a reply to a debate on ddo in a few days. On edeb8 I would hardly get any response.

I think this is the problem with a lot of users. They all wait for others to go to edeb8. Just to show you how bogus LMGIG is, I will now debate one debate every 2 weeks or so on edeb8.

Your site is awesome. Just simply that. You are an excellent debater, do not go for what LMGIG is saying. :)

Agreed. Literally the only thing DDO has over edeb8 is the size and diversity of its active user base. And I find DDO slightly easier to use, but that's probably just because I'm more used to it.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 10:48:41 AM
Larz, you're a great guy. When I saw Edeb8, I knew you have the passion for debating. But if you are seriously easily offended by an idiot's criticism, then you better step up your tolerance level.

You own a site that will most likely be big someday and with a big site you will recieve more criticisms from users. You need to know that there will be people who will insult you or something you love, but all you need is to love yourself and be confident with what you're doing. If you think blue is a better color for the site then go with blue.

You have the passion for debating, not them. You know your site better than them. Don't treat criticism like an insult. Treat it like a suggestion.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 10:50:37 AM

You will be glad to know that that opinion is not widely held, and lots of people keep telling me how edeb8 is so much better than DDO. I've thought about joining, but I have too much going on right now. Keep doing what you think is right, and try to ignore the haters.

(And even though I'm a Christian too, I don't agree with God is Good's methods)
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 10:52:05 AM

You want the drama that's why you follow it everywhere it goes and respond to it. You make it a point to write about it and then post it on the internet .
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 10:55:02 AM
At 9/27/2014 10:52:05 AM, sadolite wrote:
You want the drama that's why you follow it everywhere it goes and respond to it. You make it a point to write about it and then post it on the internet .

Drama happens when you do something most people are against.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:58:33 AM
At 9/27/2014 10:52:05 AM, sadolite wrote:
You want the drama that's why you follow it everywhere it goes and respond to it. You make it a point to write about it and then post it on the internet.
Tsar of DDO
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 1:20:53 PM
First of all I appreciate the kind words of many of you have put. I appreciate the sympathy. But I think this thread, however ironically, absolutely showcases what I'm talking about.

People have attacked other members. I don't care if somebody else on DDO has personally killed a billion kittens or whatever atrocity you can imagine - this thread is precisely about stopping this kind of behavior. I'm not just talking about people calling out jifpop on the other thread and spilling that over on to this one... but about people attacking my attacker now with all kinds of equally aggressive comments. This is not the thread guys.

People have claimed I want the attention because I make a point to stand up against it - despite the fact I refrained from doing so for months. It's like the kinds of people who assume somebody wants an abusive relationship because they don't leave. It's pretty disgusting, not to mention completely illogical.

People have tried to push the blame on to me, saying that I'm the one lacking in self-esteem or a thick skin because I dared to answer a post. Take it from me, posts like this hurt no matter how thick your skin is or how much you love yourself. It's easy to say, for a third party, don't take it to heart. It's a different story when somebody is actually attacking you.

Saying one should ignore people attacking you online is like saying you should ignore people punching your face in. I mean, if you can, then I'm sure it would be an effective strategy in a fight, but what I do is block. And occasionally lament about how debating has been reduced online to little more than hurling insults on other threads. It may not be the best response, but it isn't exactly what I would call invalid either.

Maybe I'm just not made for this sort of thing. People will no doubt think that even this post is an attempt to be more of a drama-queen. There are definitely some days when I wonder if my passion for debating is not a little bit misguided.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 3:02:49 PM
At 9/27/2014 1:20:53 PM, larztheloser wrote:

This victimization narrative you perpetuate is a fiction, Larz. Someone saying that you perpetuate drama is not a personal attack; it's a factual statement. The fact that you're offended by it showcases what the rest of us are talking about.

Online debating is just fine, except when you're a part of it. Need I remind you of your debate with Airmax? You're the biggest hypocrite I've ever seen. Grow up and stop polluting the main forum with your nonsense.
Tsar of DDO
Shadow-Dragon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 3:12:01 PM
Just wanted to say that LMGIG always talks like that.

I hope you aren't personally offended like you said, because that is his common rhetoric.

He threatens everyone with eternal death and fire and brimstone, and whether it be true or not (I personally don't think so), I agree that he has no right to say those kinds of things.

I have confronted him to ask if he is simply a troll with a fake personality, and he pulled some BS to get out of the question.

All in all, don't worry about what he says. He seems to be just a troll, and if not one, a very confused idiot.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 2:15:18 AM
At 9/27/2014 1:20:53 PM, larztheloser wrote:
People have claimed I want the attention because I make a point to stand up against it - despite the fact I refrained from doing so for months. It's like the kinds of people who assume somebody wants an abusive relationship because they don't leave. It's pretty disgusting, not to mention completely illogical.

I don't think you "want" the attention. I do think though that if you plan on posting an attention-grabbing thread, that you should be equally equipped to handle whatever response you receive.

Take it from me, posts like this hurt no matter how thick your skin is or how much you love yourself. It's easy to say, for a third party, don't take it to heart. It's a different story when somebody is actually attacking you.

They only "hurt" because you allow such things to hurt you. If you are into philosophy, check out some of the work by Epictetus. You only have yourself to blaim if you are hurting after reading such things. Is it bad to hurt? No, not at all. It's also natural, but don't play the victim card over something so trivial. You are a grown man for goodness sake, and it's a comment from a complete stranger. If you live your life giving so much weight to what strangers say then you are in for a rough ride and I'd honestly say to get out of the kitchen if you can't handle the heat.

Saying one should ignore people attacking you online is like saying you should ignore people punching your face in.

https://hbslp.files.wordpress.com...

You are trying to draw a connection between immediate physical violence and words you are reading off a screen. While both have potential to do harm, words really aren't nearly as big of a threat to your immediate self.

If you are so emotionally weak that you would do an equal amount of damage to yourself after reading certain words off a screen as you would if someone was attacking you physically, then get the fvck off the internet and go take some karate classes to build your self-confidence up or at-least get counseling.

Words from a stranger really shouldn't be as damaging as you make them out to be. There is a real epidemic of emotionally stunted or damaged individuals harming themselves because of something someone on the web said. Instead of berating the majority to be more polite, why not look towards the cause of such emotional instability in these weaker-willed individuals who would actually harm themselves. In this specific case, I do not think the majority is in the wrong. Rather, I believe we need to focus more on individuals like yourself and pinpoint the reasons as to why you can be so easily damaged by the words of a stranger through a screen.

I mean, if you can, then I'm sure it would be an effective strategy in a fight, but what I do is block. And occasionally lament about how debating has been reduced online to little more than hurling insults on other threads. It may not be the best response, but it isn't exactly what I would call invalid either.

Debating online hasn't been reduced to that, at-least not to the degree you paint it as. Stop looking at the negatives and simply focus on the higher-skilled debaters who have high quality debates. It's all about where you look, and how you see things.

Maybe I'm just not made for this sort of thing. People will no doubt think that even this post is an attempt to be more of a drama-queen. There are definitely some days when I wonder if my passion for debating is not a little bit misguided.

I don't think you are being a drama queen. I do think though that you are being a queen in the face of drama. Also, you are the one letting the drama get the best of you. I could have left the site several times due to drama, but never did. Why? Because I knew it would pass with time just as the heated or hurt feelings that came with the drama passes with time. A grown man should face drama head-on, take whatever lesson they can from it and then keep moving forward. Defeat the drama, don't let the drama defeat you.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...