Jump to topic:

What is the best debating technique?

thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 12:19:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There are many really good debating techniques but which one is the best one.

There are a lot of lessons in debating techniques to learn from the media, politicians, civil servants, lawyers and PR men.

I will just present a few second hand or tricky debating techniques below.
Speculation, rhetoric, negative hypothesis, misinformation, nonsensical irrelevancies, distracting misconceptions, emotional appealing, miss-quotations and fear mongering.

Below is a website that shows techniques from the trick of propaganda.
http://www.orange-papers.org...

Below is a technique that Lawyers often use by making something simple totally incomprehensible.

Below is two videos that show the masters of second hand debating. The Creationists.

An article displaying the tactics used in honest and dishonest debating.

http://www.johntreed.com...

So what is the best debating technique?

I have a real interest in this discussion and will be looking forward to any constructive input.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 12:38:17 PM
The best one is having flexible mind with a high IQ and a lot of general knowledge.

You can increase your IQ by chewing nicorette and playing luminosity everyday. Also start a Nootropic stack (Google it).

To get a flexible mind, try reading books by people with varying opinions as well as watching documentaries. When I'm exploring an ideal, I'll completely buy into one position and I keep changing positions and continually buying into each side, even the wierd sides.
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 12:43:13 PM
Almost every argument has a fatal flaw to it-- some sort of hidden assumption, something it's not taking into consideration, or a problem with how it applies to resolution of the debate. Find that flaw and exploit it.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 12:48:44 PM
At 9/27/2014 12:19:01 PM, thehumanistpreacher wrote:

There are a lot of lessons in debating techniques to learn from the media, politicians, civil servants, lawyers and PR men.

Speculation, rhetoric, negative hypothesis, misinformation, nonsensical irrelevancies, distracting misconceptions, emotional appealing, miss-quotations and fear mongering.

Below is a technique that Lawyers often use by making something simple totally incomprehensible.

Below is two videos that show the masters of second hand debating. The Creationists.

I have a real interest in this discussion and will be looking forward to any constructive input.

Gish Gallop
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 1:06:28 PM
At 9/27/2014 12:48:44 PM, Envisage wrote:

Gish Gallop

Gish gallop is a terrible technique against anyone competent. You just group the arguments, explain generally what is wrong with them, and call out your opponent for making superficial and underdeveloped arguments. Properly dealt with a gish gallop just hurts your opponents ethos.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 1:17:21 PM

Gish Gallop

Gish Gallop sounds great and is commonly used in a number of debate varieties (most notably Parliamentary and Policy debate), but it's usually used poorly. Debaters use, for example, a shotgun approach to rebuttal, simply putting out several responses with little or no explanation behind them, basically just tag lines. As Raisor pointed out, points like this can normally be grouped and responded to together, but the bigger problem with them is that they can easily just get throwaway responses that are even shorter than they are - no link, no warrant, no impact, etc. That's not to mention that points like these are easily outweighed by reasoned analysis on even a single point. The line by line isn't always the end all be all.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 1:18:55 PM
I tried Gish Gallop with the Flat Eart debate. I think it was extremely tough for him to handle, despite his victory. It will probably work most of the time, when your opponent has more complicated arguments.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 1:26:55 PM
It's also one of the reasons I try to avoid ethics debates, and when I do end up doing ethics debates, I just appeal to the most common views on ethics. Ethical Egoism isn't a simple thing to argue, gish gallop will work great against anybody coming to the table with a complicated moral framework such as that.

If you have simple arguments and your opponent has complicated, again I say go for it. It will probably work a good 90% of the time around here.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 1:35:05 PM
At 9/27/2014 1:17:21 PM, whiteflame wrote:

Gish Gallop

Gish Gallop sounds great and is commonly used in a number of debate varieties (most notably Parliamentary and Policy debate), but it's usually used poorly. Debaters use, for example, a shotgun approach to rebuttal, simply putting out several responses with little or no explanation behind them, basically just tag lines. As Raisor pointed out, points like this can normally be grouped and responded to together, but the bigger problem with them is that they can easily just get throwaway responses that are even shorter than they are - no link, no warrant, no impact, etc. That's not to mention that points like these are easily outweighed by reasoned analysis on even a single point. The line by line isn't always the end all be all.

There is nothing on this earth more satisfying than watching the faces of a team who gish galloped you slowly go from smug indifference to horror as you decisively destroy all of their "arguments".
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 3:02:09 PM
At 9/27/2014 1:35:05 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/27/2014 1:17:21 PM, whiteflame wrote:

Gish Gallop

There is nothing on this earth more satisfying than watching the faces of a team who gish galloped you slowly go from smug indifference to horror as you decisively destroy all of their "arguments".

I've noticed that teams often tend to do this by leaving out a key point in their arguments, especially in Parli. I judged a debate where every time the proposition made these rapid but threadbare contentions that were just the worst attempts to link to nuclear war. A single "no link, no warrant, no brink" statement would have been enough to tear down a two minute explanation, just sad they didn't do it.
thehumanistpreacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 4:20:49 PM

Gish Gallop

I tried to use that in a recent debate. It's had a mixed result.