Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Topics I'd like to debate

MonetaryOffset
Posts: 559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 4:27:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I want to get in at least two of these over the course of the next month. Let me know if you're interested. The full list is a bit broader than these, but I'm trying, for now, to stick to the relatively less technical resolutions.

1. The Federal Reserve should lean on credit-driven asset bubbles (Con)
2. The Federal Reserve should adopt a NGDP-level targeting regime (Pro)
3. The U.S. economy is currently experiencing a period of secular stagnation (Pro)
4. Raising the minimum wage, on balance, would be economically beneficial (Pro)
5. The Federal Reserve should now begin to unwind its balance sheet (Con)
6. The U3 unemployment rate understates the level of slack in the labor market (Pro)
7. The Federal Reserve Accountability and Transparency (FRAT) Act should become law (Con)
~JMK

9:43 P.M. EST, Nov 5, 2014: I became a basic white girl.
MonetaryOffset
Posts: 559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 4:55:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 4:53:03 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
I would do the minimum wage one.

Alright, let's do it! Admittedly, I'm least excited for that one, as it's like beating a dead horse for me, but it's fun ripping libertarian dogma.
~JMK

9:43 P.M. EST, Nov 5, 2014: I became a basic white girl.
UchihaMadara
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 5:09:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 4:55:38 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
At 9/27/2014 4:53:03 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
I would do the minimum wage one.

Alright, let's do it! Admittedly, I'm least excited for that one, as it's like beating a dead horse for me, but it's fun ripping libertarian dogma.

lol sorry it's the only one i know enough about to debate :P
and i'm not a libertarian... why does everyone think that!? -.-
laissez faire capitalism sux
MonetaryOffset
Posts: 559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 5:10:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 5:09:33 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 9/27/2014 4:55:38 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
At 9/27/2014 4:53:03 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
I would do the minimum wage one.

Alright, let's do it! Admittedly, I'm least excited for that one, as it's like beating a dead horse for me, but it's fun ripping libertarian dogma.

lol sorry it's the only one i know enough about to debate :P
and i'm not a libertarian... why does everyone think that!? -.-
laissez faire capitalism sux

I didn't call you a libertarian, lol. I said that the negative case on a minimum wage hike is consistent with libertarian dogma, which frankly has no basis in reality.
~JMK

9:43 P.M. EST, Nov 5, 2014: I became a basic white girl.
UchihaMadara
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 5:42:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 5:10:29 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
At 9/27/2014 5:09:33 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 9/27/2014 4:55:38 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
At 9/27/2014 4:53:03 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
I would do the minimum wage one.

Alright, let's do it! Admittedly, I'm least excited for that one, as it's like beating a dead horse for me, but it's fun ripping libertarian dogma.

lol sorry it's the only one i know enough about to debate :P
and i'm not a libertarian... why does everyone think that!? -.-
laissez faire capitalism sux

I didn't call you a libertarian, lol. I said that the negative case on a minimum wage hike is consistent with libertarian dogma, which frankly has no basis in reality.

I disagree. There are some practical harms that come with minimum wage increases that have nothing to do with ideology
MonetaryOffset
Posts: 559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 5:44:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 5:42:57 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
I disagree. There are some practical harms that come with minimum wage increases that have nothing to do with ideology

There may be practical harms, but the case promoted by Cato et al. is that ANY minimum-wage hike would cause said harms, whereas the more reasonable case, in my judgment, would be to acknowledge that you can do a lot of damage on the supply-side generally speaking, but only when you pass a certain point. From what I've seen, no current proposal even comes close to that point.
~JMK

9:43 P.M. EST, Nov 5, 2014: I became a basic white girl.
thett3
Posts: 14,344
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 5:45:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 5:44:47 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
At 9/27/2014 5:42:57 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
I disagree. There are some practical harms that come with minimum wage increases that have nothing to do with ideology

There may be practical harms, but the case promoted by Cato et al. is that ANY minimum-wage hike would cause said harms, whereas the more reasonable case, in my judgment, would be to acknowledge that you can do a lot of damage on the supply-side generally speaking, but only when you pass a certain point. From what I've seen, no current proposal even comes close to that point.

$15 minimum wage doesn't?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
MonetaryOffset
Posts: 559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 5:49:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 5:45:54 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/27/2014 5:44:47 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
At 9/27/2014 5:42:57 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
I disagree. There are some practical harms that come with minimum wage increases that have nothing to do with ideology

There may be practical harms, but the case promoted by Cato et al. is that ANY minimum-wage hike would cause said harms, whereas the more reasonable case, in my judgment, would be to acknowledge that you can do a lot of damage on the supply-side generally speaking, but only when you pass a certain point. From what I've seen, no current proposal even comes close to that point.

$15 minimum wage doesn't?

That only passed in SeaTac, and I'm not sure about that one. The current literature says $13 per hour and under is fine, but even Reich and others from Berkeley who have long been proponents of the MW have admitted that they haven't looked at $15. I'm personally not ready to jump on the bandwagon for it until we see either empirical papers or results from the experiment in SeaTac. I was referring to proposals at the national level, and I don't think the current proposal to raise the MW to $10.10 over the course of three years and index it to inflation comes even close to that fine line.
~JMK

9:43 P.M. EST, Nov 5, 2014: I became a basic white girl.
UchihaMadara
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 6:01:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 5:49:02 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
At 9/27/2014 5:45:54 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/27/2014 5:44:47 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
At 9/27/2014 5:42:57 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
I disagree. There are some practical harms that come with minimum wage increases that have nothing to do with ideology

There may be practical harms, but the case promoted by Cato et al. is that ANY minimum-wage hike would cause said harms, whereas the more reasonable case, in my judgment, would be to acknowledge that you can do a lot of damage on the supply-side generally speaking, but only when you pass a certain point. From what I've seen, no current proposal even comes close to that point.

$15 minimum wage doesn't?

That only passed in SeaTac, and I'm not sure about that one. The current literature says $13 per hour and under is fine, but even Reich and others from Berkeley who have long been proponents of the MW have admitted that they haven't looked at $15. I'm personally not ready to jump on the bandwagon for it until we see either empirical papers or results from the experiment in SeaTac. I was referring to proposals at the national level, and I don't think the current proposal to raise the MW to $10.10 over the course of three years and index it to inflation comes even close to that fine line.

is that what you will be supporting?
cuz i'm actually not necessarily opposed to that...
MonetaryOffset
Posts: 559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 6:06:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/27/2014 6:01:57 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
At 9/27/2014 5:49:02 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
At 9/27/2014 5:45:54 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/27/2014 5:44:47 PM, MonetaryOffset wrote:
At 9/27/2014 5:42:57 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:
I disagree. There are some practical harms that come with minimum wage increases that have nothing to do with ideology

There may be practical harms, but the case promoted by Cato et al. is that ANY minimum-wage hike would cause said harms, whereas the more reasonable case, in my judgment, would be to acknowledge that you can do a lot of damage on the supply-side generally speaking, but only when you pass a certain point. From what I've seen, no current proposal even comes close to that point.

$15 minimum wage doesn't?

That only passed in SeaTac, and I'm not sure about that one. The current literature says $13 per hour and under is fine, but even Reich and others from Berkeley who have long been proponents of the MW have admitted that they haven't looked at $15. I'm personally not ready to jump on the bandwagon for it until we see either empirical papers or results from the experiment in SeaTac. I was referring to proposals at the national level, and I don't think the current proposal to raise the MW to $10.10 over the course of three years and index it to inflation comes even close to that fine line.

is that what you will be supporting?
cuz i'm actually not necessarily opposed to that...

To $10.10 or to $13? The current $10.10 proposal is probably the most relevant, but I could defend $13.
~JMK

9:43 P.M. EST, Nov 5, 2014: I became a basic white girl.
MonetaryOffset
Posts: 559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 3:19:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/28/2014 3:18:25 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Surpassing necro-posting

<3.
~JMK

9:43 P.M. EST, Nov 5, 2014: I became a basic white girl.