Jump to topic:

Tips for when friends call you out

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 9:43:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I thought this blog post might be helpful for debaters who don't know what to do when a friend calls them out for being racist, sexist, cisist, ageist, homophobic, etc. It's been a nice guide for me to be sensitive of which of my responses are beneficial and which are harmful.

I also want to add that if any of you, particularly my marginalized friends, notice any ignorant, insensitive, or overall bad posts of mine (and I am sure that there are several), please feel free to call me out. I can't promise that I'll always react in the best way (and I'm sorry if that's the case), but I really want to be informed of the effect of my posts. I become no more educated if I get away with crappy rhetoric, but I'll learn if you call me out (even if I don't like it).

http://everydayfeminism.com...

I should also point out that I'm not intending to criticize anyone's response to my posts. I don't consider myself especially marginalized. But this is part of what I plan to be a series of posts on how to make debate.org a safe or safer space.

Anyway, thanks for your time! I hope you all like the article.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 10:11:56 AM
How about people just stop twisting things to be racist in order to feel morally superior. I saw somebody say that racist black people exist and somehow you twisted that to be racist. News flash; saying racist people exist isn't racist, neither is most if not all of the supposedly racist comments list you've been collecting.

I seriously don't believe that the streets of DDO are unsafe. I don't see anyone getting mugged, raped or killed by each other on this site.
Fat owned account
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 10:19:41 AM
http://www.debate.org...

Kbub's list, which has retardedness twisted things to be racist. For example Jofpop says that not many people are racist and his statement is somehow interpreted to be racist.
Fat owned account
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 5:16:15 PM
At 10/1/2014 9:43:25 AM, kbub wrote:
I thought this blog post might be helpful for debaters who don't know what to do when a friend calls them out for being racist, sexist, cisist, ageist, homophobic, etc. It's been a nice guide for me to be sensitive of which of my responses are beneficial and which are harmful.

I don't hang around with people who use "ists" because it is intellectually lazy.