Jump to topic:

Misconception of flow on DDO and diss tracks

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 1:00:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I know this has already been said before, but alot of people reading or doing rap battles will often say that pro or con had "better flow" but that's not what flow is.

According to rappingmanual.com, the definition of flow is as follows:

"Flow is the combination of two elements, that determine the overall sound of a rapper. The two elements being rhyme schemes and intonational techniques."

In other words, it's the projection of your voice when rapping lyrics. Writing lyrics isn't vocally projected so it's not flow. Rap is essentially about your vocal projection of written lyrics.

That being said, i believe rap battles on DDO should have diss tracks for those willing. I'm going to start dropping audio/video raps on anyone who wants to do it soon.

http://rappingmanual.com...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 3:35:51 PM
At 10/5/2014 1:00:53 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
I know this has already been said before, but alot of people reading or doing rap battles will often say that pro or con had "better flow" but that's not what flow is.

"Flow is the combination of two elements, that determine the overall sound of a rapper. The two elements being rhyme schemes and intonational techniques."

In other words, it's the projection of your voice when rapping lyrics. Writing lyrics isn't vocally projected so it's not flow. Rap is essentially about your vocal projection of written lyrics.

That being said, i believe rap battles on DDO should have diss tracks for those willing. I'm going to start dropping audio/video raps on anyone who wants to do it soon.

That is correct as far at it goes. At the same time, rap is necessarily spoken... written down it's different and most of these battles don't actually have anyone rapping, so you're already stepping outside what's normally "meant" when you write instead of rap. When talking about the rap battles on ddo, I use "flow" to indicate the natural flow of the lyrics when read. There is a difference in even just reading some verses. .. Some come across clumsier than others, some are easier to imagine a beat to.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 6:04:11 PM
At 10/5/2014 3:35:51 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/5/2014 1:00:53 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

That is correct as far at it goes. At the same time, rap is necessarily spoken... written down it's different and most of these battles don't actually have anyone rapping, so you're already stepping outside what's normally "meant" when you write instead of rap. When talking about the rap battles on ddo, I use "flow" to indicate the natural flow of the lyrics when read. There is a difference in even just reading some verses. .. Some come across clumsier than others, some are easier to imagine a beat to.

That's true, i can visualize the lyrics being vocalized to a beat. Some are just not suited for a beat at all or even acapella.