Jump to topic:

Once Upon a DDO Episode 21

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 10:45:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The penultimate episode of season 1! Here we go!

Episode 20 can be found here: http://www.debate.org...

"STOP!" CP bellowed, striving to shout over the gunfire. Admittedly, it had been a pleasant surprise to learn that that Edb8 had guns at all - evidently, the Practitioners of the Silver Arts got around - but that would be useless if they wasted all their ammo firing on whoever passed by. Besides, there was no guarantee that the person was loyal to Airmax or Ore_Ele.

The gunfire came to an abrupt halt, and the rain once again became the sole sound. Whoever had appeared had long since fled. CP cursed. He was seconds from snapping at the Edb8 soldiers, but he knew that would be counterproductive. He needed their loyalty at the moment. And maybe the person, whoever it was, had been loyal to CP's enemies. It was very possible.

"Linkish," CP began, turning toward his counterpart, but Linkish was gone. CP glanced around, but there was no sign of him anywhere.

Groaning, CP examined his soldiers. Pitbull met his gaze without flinching.

"The men have stopped firing," he said calmly. CP resisted the urge to make a smartass remark and simply nodded. Then he had to fight off a wince as the wound Imabench had given him complained. He exhaled through grit teeth.

"Anyone around could have heard the gunshots," he rationalized. "If we're lucky, maybe they'll assume it was part of the storm, but -"

Bells began ringing throughout the Kingdom. They tolled from every church and watchtower, a symphony of alarm.

"Screw it," CP muttered before raising his voice. "Take the Palace! GO! NOW!"

The bells were heard by Bookworm.

Still leaning against the window in Seventh's house, the sound reached her faintly at first. Her mind was far away, as if hiding from that treacherous organ called the heart. But each toll brought her closer and closer to reality until she might have been standing next to one of the churches.

"Sorry, kbub," she told the window. The alarm sounding could only mean one thing, and that meant the rescue would be impossible. Bookworm wouldn't be able to help anyone. Not kbub, not Zaradi, not anyone. All she'd done was follow others - whether Jifpop at the Chronicles or Zaradi after he saved her. Here had been a chance for her to help the cause independently. Yet it seemed fate had a different vision.

Bookworm left Seventh's house, quietly closing the door behind her. At the very least, she could fight.

After all, she had nothing of any value to lose.

The bells were heard by Jonbonbon.

Since her conversation with Zaradi, Jonbonbon had been slowly but surely taking an indirect route toward the Church of Universal Faith. Hearing the bells gratified her. It meant the battle was about to begin. The Church would be empty.

Jonbonbon had done great deeds to contribute to the revolution. She had sheltered Daytona, she had warned kbub (it wasn't her fault kbub ignored the gesture), and she had served as a spy for Zaradi for longer than she cared to remember. And in return for her loyal service, Zaradi was going to execute her boyfriend.

Oh, he had said he wouldn't. But Jonbonbon knew him better than that. Zaradi's passions extended toward liberty and freedom, but that was where they ended. He was sociopathic in all aspects of his personal life and deeply removed from all human connections. He would neither like nor dislike executing OncomingStorm. For him, it would be a simple matter of pragmatism. A message to send to supporters of tyranny.

What happened to you, Zaradi? Jonbonbon wondered occasionally, but this was not one of those times. His past didn't matter. Storm's future did.

And Jonbonbon resolved to herself that she would guarantee he had a future. Even if it meant she didn't.

The bells were heard by Ore_Ele, President Mikal, and Bladerunner.

"Excuse me a moment, Prac - Bladerunner," Mikal said. Bladerunner nodded and retreated across the throne room. Mikal waved Lannan forward.

"President?" General Lannan saluted.

"Yes, yes," Mikal waved the gesture away. "We're under attack, you fool! Gather the army! Go! GO!"

"Right away, sir!" Lannan saluted again and, gathering his troops, departed the throne room.

Mikal, Ore_Ele, Bladerunner, and Tylergraham were left on their own.

"It seems I've chosen an inconvenient day to arrive," Bladerunner remarked. He fondled the golden spectacles hanging around his neck. "Perhaps I should...."

"It's simply a small disturbance," Mikal assured him. "Please. There's nothing to fear. We'll have order restored in a matter of moments. You've had a long journey to get here, after all. It would be a shame for you to leave because of a few pests. Please, sit. Is there anything I can get you?"

"No, thank you," Bladerunner responded evenly. He also ignored the command to sit. Instead, he stood a little ways off from the throne, glancing out one of the two gigantic windows in the room.

"My lord," Ore_Ele nodded toward Mikal. "Tylergraham is...more than capable of protecting you. Let me deal with this nuisance."

"They're here for Airmax," Mikal asserted. "It's his mess. Let him clean it up."

"My lord -"

"You don't believe Airmax is incapable of the task?"

Ore_Ele hesitated. Airmax was the only person in the Kingdom whose magic matched his own. But Airmax was burdened by conscience. He had done what needed to be done. And he had been destroyed by the process. The Airmax that remained, the Evil Queen, was a specter, a shadow of the power Airmax had once wielded.

"Moderator." Bladerunner's voice was quiet, silky. Like a snake's if such creatures could speak. "Is your power truly so strong?"

Ore_Ele turned toward the Practitioner. "There is none stronger."

Bladerunner looked amused. "We shall see."
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 10:45:57 PM
GCL, Zaradi, and Seventh heard the bells.

They stood as one, as if they were a coordinated unit. Then they all glanced at one another.

Zaradi moved first.

"Consider my offer," he told GCL. "We're about to change history." He fled her house and pulled out the cell phone lent to him by the Practitioners. The call connected on the third ring.

"It's time," he said. "Leave the Church. Attack the Palace." Then he hung up and continued running with one destination in mind.

The time has come to depose the tyrants.

Back in GCL's home, neither she nor Seventh had moved since standing up. Seventh gazed at the still-open doorway as if entranced. GCL took a step toward her, and that shattered the spell. Seventh ran. GCL called her name, but Seventh didn't stop.

By the time GCL made it out into the street, Seventh had disappeared into the rain and mist. GCL listened, but she couldn't even hear Seventh's running footsteps. Save for the pitter-patter of rain, everything was silent.

"Seventh!" She called into the void, but there was no reply.

GCL abhorred the violence that was about to happen. Perhaps she could put a stop to it. This fighting was wrong! It was immoral! She knew this in the depths of her soul.

But before she could make it ten feet, a voice called her name. She paused.

"Hello?" She called into the rain. In response, a figure appeared, moving swiftly toward her. Linkish.

He stopped a few feet away from her. The two stared at each other as the rain fell all around them.

"GCL," he repeated. "What are you doing here?"

"I live here," GCL said, motioning at her house. "But you don't live around here. You're...Linkish, right?"

Linkish nodded.

"I've heard about you," GCL said, backing away. "You're an assassin. One of the best there is."

"Yes."

"I think that's horrible!"

Now Linkish paused. He was thunderstruck. No one had criticized his line of work before. Everyone he talked to either wanted to hire him or wanted to buy him off so he wouldn't kill them.

Needless to say, the latter group didn't have much success.

"I think that what you do is wrong," GCL continued, no longer backing away. "I think it's wrong for people to live in fear. I think it's wrong for you to kill people!"

The rain hitting Linkish seemed to grow heavier while GCL still seemed perfectly dry.

"I don't know how you justify it to yourself or to our Creator. But all of this can stop. You, this war, the killing! All of it! I can stop it!"

"GCL." Her name escaped his lips.

She shook her head. "Don't, don't tell me about it! Don't tell me I'm na"ve. Stupid! You think I haven't heard all that? You think I don't know what people think? I do. But I also know how I feel. And how I feel is that what you do is wrong!"

Linkish felt a strong urge to fall to his knees before the unexpected attack. Why had he come here? What had driven him and GCL to cross paths now? He needed to be hunting Ore_Ele, not receiving lessons in theology! But there was something about her...something whole and pure and inviting. Linkish's vision blurred, and for a second, GCL appeared to have sprouted a pair of wide white wings. But when he blinked, they were gone.

"But I don't know anything else," he said quietly.

GCL ceased her tirade. She peered at Linkish through the rain. It seemed to shift around his body and obscure it from sight.

"You don't know...what do you mean?"

But there was no answer. The outline was gone. GCL was alone. It was as though Linkish had never appeared before her at all, that chance had not thrown the two together.

GCL shook her head. She didn't have time to dwell right now. She had to try and save the Kingdom and the rebels and everyone. She had to save someone. Anyone.

She had to.

Cermank and XLAV led the charge against CP and the forces of Edb8 outside the Palace gates.

There was no grandiose moment of silence. No dramatic stare-down. The two sides simply rushed each other with the ferocity and savagery of animals, and the battle began.

CP cut his way through a pair of DDO soldiers, ducked beneath the blade of a third, and impaled him on his own blade. The soldier gargled incomprehensibly until CP tugged his weapon free and sent the soldier spinning to the ground. A volley of gunfire mowed down another 8 soldiers. But the forces of DDO mounted heavy resistance. There was more gunfire, and CP saw three members of Edb8 topple to the ground.

Pitbull slunk over to his side.

"They have lieutenants there and there," he pointed, indicating XLAV and Cermank.

"Excellent work," CP nodded. "Let's go!"

Pitbull hurled his spear. It arced over the fray and descended directly into XLAV's body. He fell with a wild look of shock on his face. Cermank reacted instantly. Positioning herself behind two other soldiers, she strung her bow and started scanning for the spear-thrower.

"Not bad," CP encouraged. "But beware that bow." Then he raised his voice and screamed "FIRE 2!"

Another round of gunfire went off, sending another four DDO soldiers to the ground.

Cermank had heard the command. Narrowing her eyes, she aimed and fired in a fluid movement. CP lunged to the side. There was no explosion of pain, so he knew he'd dodged the bow. Adopting a grim smile, he sprinted toward Cermank, cutting down another two soldiers in his path.

Cermank studied his approach, realized she wouldn't have time to restring the bow, and dropped it. An angry hiss escaped her as she tried to draw her own sword. Before she could, however, CP had killed both of the men she'd hid behind.

Cermank's weapon was just leaving its sheathe when CP's buried itself in her chest. Her eyes widened, and she stared in disbelief at the steel protruding from her body.

Then CP reclaimed his weapon, and Cermank fell, face-first, to the ground.

"KEEP PUSHING!" CP waved his men forward. "LIBERTY OR DEATH!:

His men responded with an answering shout, but it was a quiet voice that somehow sliced its way through the mass to reach CP's ears.

"Father?"

CP turned toward the Palace. There, standing at the head of a battalion, was his own son. General Lannan.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 10:46:10 PM
The bells were heard by YYW.

But only just.

He was on his hands and knees, panting, glancing at the one-story home before him. Even from outside, he could tell it was empty. One of the shutters was cracked and dangling off the window. The other had collapsed a long time ago. The front door opened and shut with each nudge from the wind. The second step on the porch had crumbled against the first in a chaotic jumble of wood.

YYW lowered his head. He wasn't here.

He felt the rain soak into his clothes and skin. He wouldn't have thought it possible to drown from the inside-out, but he wouldn't have minded it either. The bells were a distant memory. Nor were they ringing in alarm but in triumph. A day thwarted by Imabench for whatever nefarious purpose.

YYW stayed like that until he heard someone approaching. He very nearly prayed that it was an enemy soldier. He had no weapons on him. Perhaps, if this was to be the fated end, he would at least see bsh1 again.

But the figure that stood before him was Thett.

Thett groaned as he sat. He kept his arms folded before his stomach, as if to preserve warmth against the chill of the rain. He eyed YYW sadly but didn't speak. YYW searched for something to say.

"Thett," he began. It was as good a starting point as any. "Thett, I -"

"I'm sorry!" Thett burst into tears. They shook his entire body. How he had tears left, Thett didn't know. He'd thought he'd cried enough for a lifetime by the fountain earlier. "I'm sorry, YYW! I'm sorry!"

Thett seemed stuck. He couldn't say anything else.

"I'm sorry," he repeated through shallow breaths. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"

"Sorry?" YYW slowly shook his head. "You shouldn't be sorry, Thett. You haven't done anything."

"But I have!" Thett protested. In doing so, he leaned forward, suddenly lost control of himself, and collapsed to the ground. Since he'd been sitting already, it wasn't a long fall, but YYW reacted anyway.

"Thett!" He cried out. "Are you okay?"

Thett groaned. He unfolded his arms to push himself up, and YYW saw something colorful run across the ground. No, not colorful. It was only one color. Red.

"Thett!" In an instant, YYW was at Thett's side, gently coaxing him into his lap. "Thett, what's wrong? What happened?"

Thett kept trying, weakly, to block YYW's hand, but YYW eventually succeeded in pulling up enough of Thett's shirt to see the blood splattered across his stomach. Each new breath sent a wave of the warm liquid flowing down Thett and onto the rainy ground.

Thett peered up at YYW through half-lidded eyes. The pain no longer reached him. In fact, he felt light. He felt as though, if YYW released him, he could just float away.

"Who'd have thought," Thett laughed, which quickly turned into a cough, "that it would take this...to get me here?"

"Oh, Thett." YYW felt his voice strain. His body wanted to reject the sight, the reality of what was happening. "Thett, I'm so, so, so sorry for -"

"Shh," Thett mumbled. "I know, you doofus."

"Yeah," YYW nodded.

"YYW, I...I need to, to tell you..." Thett trailed off. He reached up with his left hand, searching for YYW. YYW gripped Thett's hand with his own. "It's about bsh1...."

A long gust of air leaked from Thett's body. YYW waited in breathless silence.

"bsh1 is...the Church of Univers -" another cough wracked Thett's body, but YYW finished the thought.

"The Church of Universal Faith," he said.

Now it was Thett's turn to nod. "You can go," he croaked. "I'll be...fine. My...beautiful abs...will be back in...no time."

YYW tried to nod and shake his head at the same time. His eyes stung. Tears and rain dripped down onto Thett's face.

"I won't leave you," YYW vowed. "I'll stay until...until...." He couldn't say it. Words made it real. YYW didn't want it to be real.

"Are you...mad?" Thett gasped.

YYW shook his head and laughed sadly. "No," he said, smiling and not knowing why. "No, I'm not mad at you."

"You can...forgive me?"

"I do forgive you."

"Then...would you...kiss me?"

YYW hesitated. But only for the briefest fraction of a second. It wasn't that his mind raced through every possibility and made a precise calculation. In truth, his mind may well have been on vacation for the past several moments. It was frayed and battered from the stress of bsh1's absence. Whether or not YYW made a conscious decision, he never knew.

YYW leaned down and kissed Thett gently on the lips.

The embrace was short but sweet. YYW pulled away a few seconds later. Thett blinked his eyes back to being halfway open.

"Huh," he said. "Guess now...I know."

And so it was that Thett closed his eyes and sighed out the oxygen in his lungs. His head tilted back, still resting in YYW's lap, and he moved no more.
ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 10:52:19 PM
Since Ive encountered this site, Ive come across your stories, and I find them very very intriguing and beautiful and detailed. Very nice one here too!
The verb is real but the adjective is only a hypothetical ideal. ~ Freedo
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:00:27 PM
At 10/5/2014 10:52:19 PM, ElCorazonAma wrote:
Since Ive encountered this site, Ive come across your stories, and I find them very very intriguing and beautiful and detailed. Very nice one here too!

Thank you! I really appreciate that.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:03:17 PM
YOU KILLED ME??!??! NOOOOOO

this means war
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:13:01 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:03:17 PM, thett3 wrote:

this means war

I agree. Endark, I shall sue you for this. Although I admit I've made crueler endings, such as when the ending killed all of the protagonists. LMAO
Check out my DDO FanFic! http://www.debate.org...

"Revelation is a tyrannical despot, not 13 years old." -max.wallace

"hehehehe...ahahaha....wahaha...AHHHHHHHHHHHAHA....pant...pant...pant...""...that's like sex for you, isn't it?" RevL8ion on DDO and FlyingForever on Skype

"Just remember that Yama is more powerful than you, little mortal." -Yama

"XD I like you, Rev. Maybe I won't kill you off right away." -Endark
ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:13:08 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:00:27 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Welcome. Ill be looking to read more, that is, if you will have more coming?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:13:45 PM
Not only do you kill thett, but you give him a gay make out scene?

Wut?

I mean, I hate to say I kind of chuckled...
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:14:35 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:13:01 PM, RevL8ion wrote:

this means war

I agree. Endark, I shall sue you for this. Although I admit I've made crueler endings, such as when the ending killed all of the protagonists. LMAO

You'll sue me for this? What did I do to you?
Also, KK with the endings there, Shakespeare.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:15:33 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:13:08 PM, ElCorazonAma wrote:

I do.
The next episode is the last of season 1, but then season 2 will start.
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:15:58 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:14:35 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

this means war

For screwing up the love triangle and killing Thett. I hate love triangles D:< Although I can't deny that I use them sometimes... T-T

"hehehehe...ahahaha....wahaha...AHHHHHHHHHHHAHA....pant...pant...pant...""...that's like sex for you, isn't it?" RevL8ion on DDO and FlyingForever on Skype

ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:16:28 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:15:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I do.

WOW! That is amazing!

Have you considered ever becoming a writter? Or book-publisher?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:16:31 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:13:45 PM, YYW wrote:
Not only do you kill thett, but you give him a gay make out scene?

Wut?

I mean, I hate to say I kind of chuckled...

You chuckled at Thett's death. How terrible. :-o

The idea was that he knows for sure whether he loved your character the way he loved Royal.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:17:02 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:16:28 PM, ElCorazonAma wrote:

I do.

WOW! That is amazing!

That's my plan for the future.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:17:38 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:15:58 PM, RevL8ion wrote:

this means war

For screwing up the love triangle and killing Thett. I hate love triangles D:< Although I can't deny that I use them sometimes... T-T

Wait...you hate love triangles...and I ended a love triangle...so you're mad? What.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:17:49 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:07:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

this means war

Oh, boy. Here we go.
<3 you though.

You dun goofed endark. You dun goofed.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ElCorazonAma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:18:45 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:17:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 10/5/2014 11:16:28 PM, ElCorazonAma wrote:

I do.

WOW! That is amazing!

That's my plan for the future.

Well, my best wishes to you.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:19:03 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:17:49 PM, Zaradi wrote:

this means war

Oh, boy. Here we go.
<3 you though.

Save me Zaradi senpai!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:31:55 PM
That was fantastic...OMG.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:33:30 PM
At 10/5/2014 11:19:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 10/5/2014 11:17:49 PM, Zaradi wrote:

this means war

Oh, boy. Here we go.
<3 you though.

Save me Zaradi senpai!

I cannot save you, but there is someone who can. Perform the dance of the sniped noob in front of the alter to ELO hell. Sacrifice the blood of five opinion posters and five poll posters, then cleanse your blade and body in the holy waters of the religions forum. Then and only then will our Lord and savior, our glorious Grand Poobah, FREEDO, descend from the heavens to smite down Thett, thus saving your life.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2014 11:59:46 PM
take that http://www.debate.org...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 4:06:29 AM
Can this be turned into a TV show?
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 4:59:29 AM
Serious biz.

NOOOO THETTTTT

---

Will comment more later. Gotta get to school!
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2014 6:03:15 AM
At 10/5/2014 11:17:38 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 10/5/2014 11:15:58 PM, RevL8ion wrote:

this means war

Wait...you hate love triangles...and I ended a love triangle...so you're mad? What.

The whole reason I hate love triangles is because they have to be ended in the most f*cked up way imaginable sooner or later... >.>