Jump to topic:

Religious views

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 10:06:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Inb4 "this should be in the religion section!!", it pertains to the DDO community as I'm attempting to gauge the religiosity of this site. If you had to guess, what percentage of active members would you say hold to a religion? Of those, which religions?

I'd guess that Christians of some sort make up about 40% of the active membership, Atheists and agnostics around 50% and other religions perhaps 10%. this is a complete and total guess though. Someday, I'd like to see a survey of DDO members that includes such things as a question of religion.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 10:07:31 PM
At 10/7/2014 10:06:00 PM, thett3 wrote:
Inb4 "this should be in the religion section!!", it pertains to the DDO community as I'm attempting to gauge the religiosity of this site. If you had to guess, what percentage of active members would you say hold to a religion? Of those, which religions?

I'd guess that Christians of some sort make up about 40% of the active membership, Atheists and agnostics around 50% and other religions perhaps 10%. this is a complete and total guess though. Someday, I'd like to see a survey of DDO members that includes such things as a question of religion.

that was my exact number on the spot actualy. 50 percent atheist , 40 christian, 10 percent comprised of Muslims and other things
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 10:13:36 PM
Of the people on the first page of my inbox:

Christians- 4

Agnostics- 5

Muslim- 1

Deist- 2

Jewish- 1

Other- 1

Not saying- 3
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 10:16:01 PM
At 10/7/2014 10:13:36 PM, thett3 wrote:

Christians- 4

Agnostics- 5

Muslim- 1

Deist- 2

Jewish- 1

Other- 1

Not saying- 3

Skipped atheists. They had 4
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Malacoda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 10:23:07 PM
I think if you lump agnostics with atheists they certainly have the most. Alone though, I would say there are quite a few more Christians than Atheists.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 10:24:17 PM
There is definitely a large atheist/agnostic skew here compared to the general population proportions (especially given have the members are from the US).

I would estimate roughly the same numbers you have provided for active debaters.

If you are going to do statistics it would probably be best to sample members with a minimum number or debates/forum posts.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 10:24:38 PM
Idk.

I'd say that Christians are probably closer to half, atheists are probably a third and other varieties are what's left.

I also think that as time goes on, at least some of the people who identify as atheists (who do so for personal reasons like rebelling against God and established religion) will return to Christianity as they grow up. At least that's what I hope.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 10:26:43 PM
I would say Christians are maybe 45%, the nonreligious and atheists are maybe 40%, and everyone else is about 15%.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 10:51:14 PM
Actually this thread can be very productive, since it will allow people to voluntarily declare themselves as Christians so that we may efficiently round them up for euthanization once a public policy for it passes.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 10:55:06 PM
At 10/7/2014 10:51:14 PM, Envisage wrote:
Actually this thread can be very productive, since it will allow people to voluntarily declare themselves as Christians so that we may efficiently round them up for euthanization once a public policy for it passes.

Relax yourself. No need to euthanize someone for their beliefs.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 10:58:35 PM
At 10/7/2014 10:55:06 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Who said I was Euthanizing people for their beliefs? Even hitler wasn't so foolish to euthanise the Jews just because of their religion.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 11:02:29 PM
At 10/7/2014 10:58:35 PM, Envisage wrote:

Who said I was Euthanizing people for their beliefs? Even hitler wasn't so foolish to euthanise the Jews just because of their religion.

"voluntarily declare themselves as Christians so that we may efficiently round them up for euthanization once a public policy for it passes."
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 11:10:02 PM

So why did you suggest this?

"voluntarily declare themselves as Christians so that we may efficiently round them up for euthanization once a public policy for it passes."
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2014 11:25:08 PM

Christians- 4

Agnostics- 5 Why that's me!

Muslim- 1

Deist- 2

Jewish- 1

Other- 1

Not saying- 3
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 12:52:38 AM
Thett why did you skip pastafarianism!? You must let his noodly appendage touch your life.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 5:00:09 AM
At 10/7/2014 10:24:38 PM, YYW wrote:
Idk.

I'd say that Christians are probably closer to half, atheists are probably a third and other varieties are what's left.

I also think that as time goes on, at least some of the people who identify as atheists (who do so for personal reasons like rebelling against God and established religion) will return to Christianity as they grow up. At least that's what I hope.
Since when did atheism become rebelling? Atheists don't believe in the existence of god, thats it.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 5:04:34 AM

Christians- 4

Agnostics- 5

Muslim- 1
*fist-bump to the air and wiggles around*
Oh wait- was dat Pots?! :O

Deist- 2

Jewish- 1

Other- 1

Not saying- 3
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 4:19:05 PM
From the first page of my inbox...

3 Atheists

6 Agnostics

6 Christians

2 Muslims

2 Jews

2 Deists

3 "Other"

And based on their debates and posts, the three "other" are probably agnostics as well.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 4:19:35 PM

Cool! Then we can start a resistance and kill bad guys. Or get martyred. Either sounds good to me.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 4:31:18 PM

lol dude do you actually think that he is serious?
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 4:32:29 PM
At 10/8/2014 4:31:18 PM, debatability wrote:

Yes.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 4:41:23 PM
hmm this is interesting.
I wouldn't officially declare myself anything other than agnostic, simply because at this stage I'm trying to figure out for myself whether or not I believe in a higher being, and more specifically what that higher being is like. I probably sit right in the middle of christians and athiests, though I probably lean more towards atheism. One thing I would note is that a lot of users may put "agnostic" or "not saying" on their profiles simply because they aren't interested any form of religious discussion and prefer to remain neutral. After all, this is a debate site and one of the main reasons (even if i was religious) that i would keep my profile agnostic is that i prefer to avoid religious discussion, if that makes sense. I definitely wouldn't lump agnostic and athiest together though, if I were compiling a list of who believes what because those terms are very different. Looking at my first inbox page, there would be:

3 christians

4 agnostics

3 athiests

1 muslim

i left out those who remained silent. i was expecting less christians than i see in my results, as well as others. i feel like either agnostics or christians ultimately dominate the website. though, the majority of the christians i see here are somewhat liberal.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 4:42:17 PM
At 10/8/2014 4:32:29 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 10/8/2014 4:31:18 PM, debatability wrote:

Yes.

lol
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 5:03:54 PM
Atheists - 20
Agnostics - 25
Christians - 40
Islam - 10
Other - 5

I think there are definitely more atheists/agnostics than christians here, which is a tad disproportionate, but it's still my personal finding.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 5:06:39 PM
At 10/8/2014 4:41:23 PM, debatability wrote:
3 christians

4 agnostics

3 athiests

1 muslim

i left out those who remained silent. i was expecting less christians than i see in my results, as well as others. i feel like either agnostics or christians ultimately dominate the website. though, the majority of the christians i see here are somewhat liberal.
Oh, if you're actually tallying each user, then I'm agnostic.
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby
Daltonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2014 5:07:16 PM
At 10/8/2014 5:03:54 PM, Daltonian wrote:
Atheists - 20
Agnostics - 25
Christians - 40
Islam - 10
Other - 5

I think there are definitely more atheists/agnostics than christians here, which is a tad disproportionate, but it's still my personal finding.
oh, lol, woops. This was just random guesses of percentages. w.e
F _ C K
All I need is "u", baby