Jump to topic:

Advice in Danger

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:32:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This sounds like a Yahoo Answers question, but I need advice from more intelligent people than the regular dumbasses that lurk there.

While I'm typing this and before, I've heard three loud bangs and what seemed like a faint scream along with a whistling noise that went on for about an hour (only the whistling). Then a power outage struck, and now all I have is my laptop and my flashlight. Don't call me a pus5y, because A) It's 2:00AM here, B) I'm thirteen, my dad's out of the house and my mom's sick, C) My cell phone's dead and the home phones won't work due to power outage, D) Another bang just went off, and E) You can't see sh1t outside my room. I'm just hoping the bangs are engines backfiring or something, not gunshots.

Regardless, I have no idea what to do as of the moment, and the fourth bang just now was alarmingly loud. I think it was close to my house. I have a sword to protect me, but I don't possess any firearms (XD). I'm probably getting overly paranoid, but I had no idea wtf is going on as of the moment. The only way I could get my mind off of things was listening to some MrCreepyPasta. Have you guys ever been in a situation like this? How'd you deal with it? Whatever the case, I don't think I'm going to get any sleep anytime soon.
Check out my DDO FanFic! http://www.debate.org...

"Revelation is a tyrannical despot, not 13 years old." -max.wallace

"hehehehe...ahahaha....wahaha...AHHHHHHHHHHHAHA....pant...pant...pant...""...that's like sex for you, isn't it?" RevL8ion on DDO and FlyingForever on Skype

"Just remember that Yama is more powerful than you, little mortal." -Yama

"XD I like you, Rev. Maybe I won't kill you off right away." -Endark
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:35:37 AM
Make sure all your doors are locked, but I'm sure you will be okay. Do you guys have a home phone? If you do, keep that with you.

I've had a similar experience. Behind my house is a little used road. Once when I was about 12 and home alone I went outside late at night for one reason or another and there was a creepy looking man dressed in all white standing there and as he saw me he raised a hand as if to say hello. I don't think I've ever been so creeped out and I definitely didn't sleep that night at all
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Dennybug
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:35:51 AM
At 10/9/2014 12:32:20 AM, RevL8ion wrote:
This sounds like a Yahoo Answers question, but I need advice from more intelligent people than the regular dumbasses that lurk there.

While I'm typing this and before, I've heard three loud bangs and what seemed like a faint scream along with a whistling noise that went on for about an hour (only the whistling). Then a power outage struck, and now all I have is my laptop and my flashlight. Don't call me a pus5y, because A) It's 2:00AM here, B) I'm thirteen, my dad's out of the house and my mom's sick, C) My cell phone's dead and the home phones won't work due to power outage, D) Another bang just went off, and E) You can't see sh1t outside my room. I'm just hoping the bangs are engines backfiring or something, not gunshots.

Regardless, I have no idea what to do as of the moment, and the fourth bang just now was alarmingly loud. I think it was close to my house. I have a sword to protect me, but I don't possess any firearms (XD). I'm probably getting overly paranoid, but I had no idea wtf is going on as of the moment. The only way I could get my mind off of things was listening to some MrCreepyPasta. Have you guys ever been in a situation like this? How'd you deal with it? Whatever the case, I don't think I'm going to get any sleep anytime soon.

How are you using the internet?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:37:07 AM
I mean, unless you live in a really dangerous neighborhood loud bangs are extremely unlikely to be gunshots and even if they were it's extremely unlikely that whoever fired will come after you too.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:46:09 AM
Even if they're gunshots, you're still probably safe. It's the quiet you have to be scared of. Just prepare yourself so you feel safe but don't miss too much sleep.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:49:00 AM
Have you guys ever been in a situation like this?

Yes, I was trying to download frozen on my iphone but it every time it reached 99% the download would fail, and I was scared for my life

How'd you deal with it?

Alcohol

Whatever the case, I don't think I'm going to get any sleep anytime soon.

Google lectures on physics and you'll be sleeping like a baby in no time
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:52:22 AM

Actually some people will say this is a bad Ideal, but if you want to get rid of your fear go outside and figure out what it is. If it.s a banging and the electricity went out it's probably just a transformer blowing.
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:54:25 AM
At 10/9/2014 12:35:51 AM, Dennybug wrote:

How are you using the internet?

As far as I can tell, the internet's fine, but my desktop's unusable as well.

"hehehehe...ahahaha....wahaha...AHHHHHHHHHHHAHA....pant...pant...pant...""...that's like sex for you, isn't it?" RevL8ion on DDO and FlyingForever on Skype

dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:55:27 AM
Watch out, dumbasses lurk here also. Make sure your house is throughly sealed, just in case. It's probably some thunder or something. If it is gunshots, they would be close together. If you can, call somebody using the landlines (assuming you have a backup generator.) Lay low and avoid being seen if the bangs get very close to your house.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:55:28 AM
At 10/9/2014 12:52:22 AM, Wylted wrote:

Actually some people will say this is a bad Ideal, but if you want to get rid of your fear go outside and figure out what it is. If it.s a banging and the electricity went out it's probably just a transformer blowing.

...Dude. I said there's a power outage. I'll be a blind man if I go outside.

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:56:12 AM
At 10/9/2014 12:35:37 AM, thett3 wrote:
Make sure all your doors are locked, but I'm sure you will be okay. Do you guys have a home phone? If you do, keep that with you.

The home phone's off due to the outage.

I've had a similar experience. Behind my house is a little used road. Once when I was about 12 and home alone I went outside late at night for one reason or another and there was a creepy looking man dressed in all white standing there and as he saw me he raised a hand as if to say hello. I don't think I've ever been so creeped out and I definitely didn't sleep that night at all

XD Dat pedophile

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:56:15 AM
Keep all the doors locked. If you feel more comfortable having your sword/any weapon within arms reach, go ahead. See if you can find a flashlight or candle or something.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:56:43 AM
At 10/9/2014 12:55:28 AM, RevL8ion wrote:
At 10/9/2014 12:52:22 AM, Wylted wrote:

...Dude. I said there's a power outage. I'll be a blind man if I go outside.

Your eyes will adjust.
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:57:39 AM
At 10/9/2014 12:49:00 AM, imabench wrote:
Have you guys ever been in a situation like this?

Yes, I was trying to download frozen on my iphone but it every time it reached 99% the download would fail, and I was scared for my life

Wow. How'd you even survive? :O

How'd you deal with it?

Alcohol

...next.

Whatever the case, I don't think I'm going to get any sleep anytime soon.

Google lectures on physics and you'll be sleeping like a baby in no time

Okay then. I'll try that...but not sure if I should trust a bench.

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:57:54 AM
If something happens or you hear anyone try to come in , post your area code and town on here, someone can call the police asap and have them to your house since the power is out
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:59:22 AM
Plan B also:

Go fukin wild bruh. get a dam basball bat and swing lik no 2morro. hit dat murun in da hed until he ded then call pulice. -Answers.com
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 12:59:43 AM
Assuming that someone is firing a gun, they have a target. Obviously, otherwise they wouldn't have fired that gun. If nothing around you has been hit by a gunshot, then either A) you're not the target or B) they're such a bad shot that a sword would be an adequate defense weapon against them.

I'm not gonna lie, gunshots are scary whether they're directed at you or not, but you probably don't have a reason to worry. The only way you would become a random target is if someone were shooting in a public place or if there was a serial killer who picked your house. A serial killer wouldn't be firing off a gun outside your house, and a public shoutout doesn't usually affect those in their homes.

Tl;dr they're not shooting at you, so don't worry.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:00:09 AM
At 10/9/2014 12:59:22 AM, dtaylor971 wrote:
Plan B also:

Go fukin wild bruh. get a dam basball bat and swing lik no 2morro. hit dat murun in da hed until he ded then call pulice. -Answers.com

That is exactly why I will never ask a question on Yahoo Answers.

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:02:02 AM
At 10/9/2014 12:57:54 AM, Mikal wrote:
If something happens or you hear anyone try to come in , post your area code and town on here, someone can call the police asap and have them to your house since the power is out

Meh, I don't think someone will try to come in, but this is just beyond my comprehension. :X
Regardless, I'll keep that in mind.

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:03:40 AM
At 10/9/2014 12:59:43 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:
Assuming that someone is firing a gun, they have a target. Obviously, otherwise they wouldn't have fired that gun. If nothing around you has been hit by a gunshot, then either A) you're not the target or B) they're such a bad shot that a sword would be an adequate defense weapon against them.

I'm not gonna lie, gunshots are scary whether they're directed at you or not, but you probably don't have a reason to worry. The only way you would become a random target is if someone were shooting in a public place or if there was a serial killer who picked your house. A serial killer wouldn't be firing off a gun outside your house, and a public shoutout doesn't usually affect those in their homes.

Lol, I'm not silly enough to think they're going to shoot me. Fifth gunshot (I'm just going to call that from now on) just now, by the way. What the hell is going on...

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:04:59 AM
You know, this is feeling a lot like a RL NP in Mafia. LMAO

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:05:06 AM
At 10/9/2014 1:03:40 AM, RevL8ion wrote:

Lol, I'm not silly enough to think they're going to shoot me. Fifth gunshot (I'm just going to call that from now on) just now, by the way. What the hell is going on...

Executions. Is the KKK very prominent around where you live? :P
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:07:00 AM
At 10/9/2014 1:05:06 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

A) I am not black
B) I'm pretty sure they're not
C) If they do, there's a white trench coat in the closet. I'll just wear that and blend in with them.

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:10:40 AM
At 10/9/2014 1:07:00 AM, RevL8ion wrote:

A) I am not black
C) If they do, there's a white trench coat in the closet. I'll just wear that and blend in with them.

Lol I'm just kidding.

I mean if it's guns, honestly it's something more like executions, because a gun fight would involve multiple successive shots, even if just a few of them. Also, if it's been going on for a while, and the police haven't been called then it's probably not gunshots. It still could be gunshots, but even a car door closing can sound like a gun shot if someone slams the door hard enough (not super hard actually).
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9
RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:20:19 AM
At 10/9/2014 1:10:40 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

A) I am not black

Lol I'm just kidding.

I mean if it's guns, honestly it's something more like executions, because a gun fight would involve multiple successive shots, even if just a few of them. Also, if it's been going on for a while, and the police haven't been called then it's probably not gunshots. It still could be gunshots, but even a car door closing can sound like a gun shot if someone slams the door hard enough (not super hard actually).

I highly doubt it's a car closing at 2:00AM. Especially five times.
Here's the timing of the supposed gunshots approximately:
Gunshot 1: 12:37AM (I was at my desktop at the time so I remember)
Gunshot 2: 1:04AM
POWER OUTAGE
Gunshot 3: 1:36AM (switched to laptop)
Gunshot 4: 1:58AM
Gunshot 5: 2:04AM

What is this sh1t. Actually, I'm pretty sure gunshot 2 and maybe 3 weren't gunshots, but gunshot 4 was loud enough to scare the sh1t out of me. :X

RevL8ion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:21:26 AM
Well, I'm just going to try and get some sleep. Quarter exams tomorrow, too. Just my luck this had to happen during exam week...

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:36:40 AM
At 10/9/2014 1:21:26 AM, RevL8ion wrote:
Well, I'm just going to try and get some sleep. Quarter exams tomorrow, too. Just my luck this had to happen during exam week...

If your power is out, and you are hearing loud bangs both before and after, I'd guess it's a power transformer that's blown. The banging is probably power shortages occurring in the main transformer. Happens sometimes around my area when the power goes out from a lightning storm during the summertime. It's the same pop you would hear if a wall outlet in your house blew or shorted out, except on a much larger scale since it's a major power outage.

Other than that, your sword should take care of anything short of a gun. Even if an intruder has a gun, you have the element of surprise in your own home. You could easily position yourself to a prime location behind a door, and the moment he comes through - drop the blade through his shoulder. If you aren't tall enough, go for the leg. If you desire for a fatal attack, then just go for the neck or skull if the blade is sharp enough.

Cheers!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 1:37:07 AM
At 10/9/2014 1:20:19 AM, RevL8ion wrote:
At 10/9/2014 1:10:40 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

A) I am not black

Lol I'm just kidding.

I highly doubt it's a car closing at 2:00AM. Especially five times.
Here's the timing of the supposed gunshots approximately:
Gunshot 1: 12:37AM (I was at my desktop at the time so I remember)
Gunshot 2: 1:04AM
POWER OUTAGE
Gunshot 3: 1:36AM (switched to laptop)
Gunshot 4: 1:58AM
Gunshot 5: 2:04AM

What is this sh1t. Actually, I'm pretty sure gunshot 2 and maybe 3 weren't gunshots, but gunshot 4 was loud enough to scare the sh1t out of me. :X

Unless there are legitimate executions going on, I doubt they're gunshots.
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2014 7:48:31 AM
At 10/9/2014 1:36:40 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 10/9/2014 1:21:26 AM, RevL8ion wrote:

If your power is out, and you are hearing loud bangs both before and after, I'd guess it's a power transformer that's blown. The banging is probably power shortages occurring in the main transformer. Happens sometimes around my area when the power goes out from a lightning storm during the summertime. It's the same pop you would hear if a wall outlet in your house blew or shorted out, except on a much larger scale since it's a major power outage.

Other than that, your sword should take care of anything short of a gun. Even if an intruder has a gun, you have the element of surprise in your own home. You could easily position yourself to a prime location behind a door, and the moment he comes through - drop the blade through his shoulder. If you aren't tall enough, go for the leg. If you desire for a fatal attack, then just go for the neck or skull if the blade is sharp enough.

Cheers!

Why do I get the feeling if this kid's dad comes home from work early he's getting a sword through the neck.