help

bonnieluvs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2010 12:02:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
i need a good Philosopher for the following topic please help me Dx
Topic: In matters of collecting military intelligence, the ends justify the means.
bonnie was here yesterday
Tamikajones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2010 12:52:26 PM
At 4/12/2010 12:02:54 PM, bonnieluvs wrote:
Topic: In matters of collecting military intelligence, the ends justify the means.

I'm one of the greats.

My answer: Yes
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
Tamikajones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2010 1:13:37 PM
At 4/12/2010 1:09:26 PM, Puck wrote:
http://plato.stanford.edu...

That was my second answer
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2010 1:32:52 PM
Ends justify means is a good debate.

It doesn't need to be overly philosophical. Here's what you need to do if you're on PRO.

1. Explain that the positive and negative values of a means are in fact the ends of that means. For example, imposing strict rules on society in order to reduce crime has the positive end of reducing crime and the negative end of making people deal with strict rules (as well as any other unintended consequences). If the sum total of these ends is positive, then the means is justified.

2. Argue that the total ends for military intelligence gathering are positive. The easiest way here would be to compare the present reality to a "what if" reality where a country doesn't do military intelligence gathering. You could argue that it would put that country at a tactical disadvantage, it would reduce ability to react to threats, etc. If you've shown that the total ends are positive, then the means are justified.

If you're arguing CON, I'd just change #2.

2. Argue that the total ends for military intelligence gathering are negative. You could point out that military intelligence gathering is unreliable and sometimes causes political bodies to take rash actions (cite the Iraq war and the lack of weapons of mass destruction). You could bring up the money we spend on it (probably a lot - I haven't researched it), that perhaps could be better spent elsewhere. With negative ends overall, the means are not justified.
bonnieluvs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2010 10:59:21 AM
At 4/12/2010 12:02:54 PM, bonnieluvs wrote:

it is an LD debate and i am aff
thank u every1 ur helping me alot xD
bonnie was here yesterday
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2010 11:00:32 AM
If that had been a guy everyone would have told him where to go.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.