Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Epic Debate on Edeb8

ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:31:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Topic: Imperialism is Justified
- 6 Rounds
- 20,000 character minimum (per round)
- 1 week extended cross examination
- 1 month to post

Let's make history people. I am willing to extend the character minimum to 30,000, but that's the preference of the challenger. This is the debate I've always wanted to do, and am ready to paint my masterpiece.

Whiteflame is coaching me for this debate, and all I need is a challenger. Step right up brave and noble souls, as we're about to write a book. (P.S- I"m pro)
http://www.edeb8.com...+/
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:35:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 9:31:45 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Topic: Imperialism is Justified
- 6 Rounds
- 20,000 character minimum (per round)
- 1 week extended cross examination
- 1 month to post

Let's make history people. I am willing to extend the character minimum to 30,000, but that's the preference of the challenger. This is the debate I've always wanted to do, and am ready to paint my masterpiece.

Whiteflame is coaching me for this debate, and all I need is a challenger. Step right up brave and noble souls, as we're about to write a book. (P.S- I"m pro)
http://www.edeb8.com...+/

"Debate not found
Sorry, but we couldn't find that debate among our records. It might be an expired challenge, or manually removed by the instigator."

The "+/" is required, but not included in the link as parsed by DDO.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Posts: 36,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:36:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm not going to challenge you, but if you had a debate on that subject on DDO, I would certainly be happy to vote on it.

Just be sure you define imperialism correctly.
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:37:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Incidentally, I'd consider taking this but the resolution alone is not sufficient for me to understand the point you're making.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:39:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 9:37:03 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Incidentally, I'd consider taking this but the resolution alone is not sufficient for me to understand the point you're making.

http://www.edeb8.com...+/
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:44:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 9:36:25 PM, YYW wrote:
I'm not going to challenge you, but if you had a debate on that subject on DDO, I would certainly be happy to vote on it.

Just be sure you define imperialism correctly.
I can't do it on DDO since you can't go over 10,000 characters. Edeb8 has the server capacity for one or two of these debates.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
YYW
Posts: 36,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:46:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 9:44:56 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:36:25 PM, YYW wrote:
I'm not going to challenge you, but if you had a debate on that subject on DDO, I would certainly be happy to vote on it.

Just be sure you define imperialism correctly.
I can't do it on DDO since you can't go over 10,000 characters. Edeb8 has the server capacity for one or two of these debates.

I really feel like you should be able to make a point in 10,000 characters, though.
Tsar of DDO
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:46:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 9:37:03 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Incidentally, I'd consider taking this but the resolution alone is not sufficient for me to understand the point you're making.
Okay, this link should work. The resolution is that imperialism is justified, everytime, all the time.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:48:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 9:46:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:44:56 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:36:25 PM, YYW wrote:
I'm not going to challenge you, but if you had a debate on that subject on DDO, I would certainly be happy to vote on it.

Just be sure you define imperialism correctly.
I can't do it on DDO since you can't go over 10,000 characters. Edeb8 has the server capacity for one or two of these debates.

I really feel like you should be able to make a point in 10,000 characters, though.
I have a 25,000 character thesis which is supposed to be a pretext for a longer essay I'm writing. While I could do it in 10,000 characters, I feel that wouldn't give me the experience and feedback I'm looking for.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:48:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 9:44:56 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:36:25 PM, YYW wrote:
I'm not going to challenge you, but if you had a debate on that subject on DDO, I would certainly be happy to vote on it.

Just be sure you define imperialism correctly.
I can't do it on DDO since you can't go over 10,000 characters. Edeb8 has the server capacity for one or two of these debates.

I'd take it or read it if it was on DDO, but I'm not gonna do or read competing essays. 30K characters is no longer a debate, it's competing dissertations side-by-side.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:49:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 9:48:31 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:44:56 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:36:25 PM, YYW wrote:
I'm not going to challenge you, but if you had a debate on that subject on DDO, I would certainly be happy to vote on it.

Just be sure you define imperialism correctly.
I can't do it on DDO since you can't go over 10,000 characters. Edeb8 has the server capacity for one or two of these debates.

I'd take it or read it if it was on DDO, but I'm not gonna do or read competing essays. 30K characters is no longer a debate, it's competing dissertations side-by-side.
It doesn't matter if it is judged or read. It's for the pleasure of me and the other debater, not others. I know several people on edeb who would be willing to give an extended vote either way. Whiteflame being one of them.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 9:59:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 9:49:41 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:48:31 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:44:56 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:36:25 PM, YYW wrote:
I'm not going to challenge you, but if you had a debate on that subject on DDO, I would certainly be happy to vote on it.

Just be sure you define imperialism correctly.
I can't do it on DDO since you can't go over 10,000 characters. Edeb8 has the server capacity for one or two of these debates.

I'd take it or read it if it was on DDO, but I'm not gonna do or read competing essays. 30K characters is no longer a debate, it's competing dissertations side-by-side.

It doesn't matter if it is judged or read. It's for the pleasure of me and the other debater, not others. I know several people on edeb who would be willing to give an extended vote either way. Whiteflame being one of them.

You've basically said you're doing this just because you want feedback on your dissertation. That's kind of sneaky. If you're not really interested in debating, then stop trying to advertise your paper on a debate site. Debates have limited characters because you're supposed to learn to convey your point in a limited amount of time.

I think it improper for you to advertise one of your debates on Edeb8 on DDO. It's already questionable when people try to advertise their DDO debates on this forum. If everyone did that, it would clog this forum up completely. It's even worse if you're advertising your off-site debates.

I think airmax should remove this thread.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 10:02:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 9:59:14 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I think airmax should remove this thread.
You're entitled to your opinions. Just know that I'm fully interested in debating this topic, and I simply see the character extension, and the faculties of the internet, as a way to redefine traditional debate.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Schrodingers_Lynch
Posts: 118
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 10:05:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 9:31:45 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Topic: Imperialism is Justified
- 6 Rounds
- 20,000 character minimum (per round)

Minimum?!?
Buddamoose & Khaos_Mage
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 10:06:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 10:05:03 PM, Schrodingers_Lynch wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:31:45 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Topic: Imperialism is Justified
- 6 Rounds
- 20,000 character minimum (per round)

Minimum?!?
Maybe Epic wasn't a good descriptive word. I'll delete this forum myself once I get a challenger.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 10:20:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 10:06:00 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/11/2014 10:05:03 PM, Schrodingers_Lynch wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:31:45 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Topic: Imperialism is Justified
- 6 Rounds
- 20,000 character minimum (per round)

Minimum?!?
Maybe Epic wasn't a good descriptive word. I'll delete this forum myself once I get a challenger.

I'm not talking about the word choice.
I'm talking about a minimum of 20K. I can understand maximum, but minimum?!?
To force a debater to speak more than they feel they need to just seems wrong.
My work here is, finally, done.
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 10:55:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 10:20:33 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/11/2014 10:06:00 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/11/2014 10:05:03 PM, Schrodingers_Lynch wrote:
At 10/11/2014 9:31:45 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Topic: Imperialism is Justified
- 6 Rounds
- 20,000 character minimum (per round)

Minimum?!?
Maybe Epic wasn't a good descriptive word. I'll delete this forum myself once I get a challenger.

I'm not talking about the word choice.
I'm talking about a minimum of 20K. I can understand maximum, but minimum?!?
To force a debater to speak more than they feel they need to just seems wrong.
Hmm, perhaps you're right. I have a fear of low expectations. If I write a 25,000 character argument, and am matched with a 8000 character argument, the debate no longer feels epic to me.

This is supposed to be, quote in quote, the "best debate I've ever had"
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 11:01:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 10:58:53 PM, vwv wrote:
Why are you advertising rival website in rival's forums?
There is no rivalry between the two websites. I often debate there and I often debate here. Just like some people play mafia here and play mafia elsewhere.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 11:01:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I removed the minimum character stipulation, but expect a long argument from my house.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
vwv
Posts: 666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2014 11:20:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/11/2014 11:01:19 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/11/2014 10:58:53 PM, vwv wrote:
Why are you advertising rival website in rival's forums?
There is no rivalry between the two websites. I often debate there and I often debate here. Just like some people play mafia here and play mafia elsewhere.

On the bottom of the homepage of edeb8 the video that plays has the very admin of the site stating the site is better than "DDO" which I believe is this website.

If there was no rivalry he would indicate they were allied or linked in some way. Instead he directly contrasts the sites.
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:07:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 11:53:05 AM, Malacoda wrote:
DDO pride!
Unfortunately edeb8 shows below the economist when typing "online debate"
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Malacoda
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:14:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 8:07:36 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/12/2014 11:53:05 AM, Malacoda wrote:
DDO pride!
Unfortunately edeb8 shows below the economist when typing "online debate"

So it does. How many active users do you think are on edeb8?
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:15:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 8:14:07 PM, Malacoda wrote:
At 10/12/2014 8:07:36 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/12/2014 11:53:05 AM, Malacoda wrote:
DDO pride!
Unfortunately edeb8 shows below the economist when typing "online debate"

So it does. How many active users do you think are on edeb8?
The site shows 40 active users. We get about 20 people active a day, but only 5-10 who post outside groups and chat.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Malacoda
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:16:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 8:15:16 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/12/2014 8:14:07 PM, Malacoda wrote:
At 10/12/2014 8:07:36 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/12/2014 11:53:05 AM, Malacoda wrote:
DDO pride!
Unfortunately edeb8 shows below the economist when typing "online debate"

So it does. How many active users do you think are on edeb8?
The site shows 40 active users. We get about 20 people active a day, but only 5-10 who post outside groups and chat.

Do you think it's growing at least?
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 8:17:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2014 8:16:06 PM, Malacoda wrote:
At 10/12/2014 8:15:16 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/12/2014 8:14:07 PM, Malacoda wrote:
At 10/12/2014 8:07:36 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 10/12/2014 11:53:05 AM, Malacoda wrote:
DDO pride!
Unfortunately edeb8 shows below the economist when typing "online debate"

So it does. How many active users do you think are on edeb8?
The site shows 40 active users. We get about 20 people active a day, but only 5-10 who post outside groups and chat.

Do you think it's growing at least?

Glaciers see more growth than edeb8 does these days....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015