Jump to topic:

What's with all the lesbians on DDO

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:17:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
(I'm sure there's prolly been a thread on this before...so sue me)

Since we've been analyzing gay's/gayness I was wondering... Why is it that lesbians frequent this site, talk a lot, etc. but straight girls don't...

what's the difference?

Insert says she wants to leave, and pretty much all the 'core' gals on the site are gay.

I particularly would like to hear from the gals themselves why they think this is so...

And I know this would all be conjecture and whatnot... but it is an interesting fact.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:20:31 AM
granted, this site is a bit of a small sample size I guess... but...

spewing out possible reasons for stuff is always a good time :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Tamikajones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:23:17 AM
At 4/13/2010 7:17:28 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Since we've been analyzing gay's/gayness I was wondering... Why is it that lesbians frequent this site, talk a lot, etc. but straight girls don't...

what's the difference?

Insert says she wants to leave, and pretty much all the 'core' gals on the site are gay.

I particularly would like to hear from the gals themselves why they think this is so...

And I know this would all be conjecture and whatnot... but it is an interesting fact.

1. Most women do not have the ability to use cold-hearted logic to argue things.

It's scientific fact that men are more logical, women are more emotional.

It just happens that TheLwerd and Vi both are incredibly logical and happen to be lesbians. Could the following be linked? Perhaps... Don't have enough info to make the call that lesbians are inherently more logical than straight women.
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:25:20 AM
At 4/13/2010 7:23:17 AM, Tamikajones wrote:

what's the difference?

1. Most women do not have the ability to use cold-hearted logic to argue things.

It just happens that TheLwerd and Vi both are incredibly logical and happen to be lesbians.

belle too (I think at least)

and wonderwoman

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:30:43 AM
And, I apologize if this post offends anyone; that is not my intention.

Metaphysics:
ln074246
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:33:25 AM
At 4/13/2010 7:25:20 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

The above is true. Straight women get emotionally upset when people ask questions about why they feel for a certain way or if someone criticizes them. And what is debate.org except an entire website dedicated to poking holes through people's beliefs and pointing out flaws in thought patterns. No straight woman would want to join this site let alone put their thoughts out here.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:35:24 AM
At 4/13/2010 7:33:25 AM, ln074246 wrote:
The above is true. Straight women get emotionally upset when people ask questions about why they feel for a certain way or if someone criticizes them. And what is debate.org except an entire website dedicated to poking holes through people's beliefs and pointing out flaws in thought patterns. No straight woman would want to join this site let alone put their thoughts out here.

AHA! but you're self refuting!

unless you happen to be gay... :0

Metaphysics:
ln074246
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:35:48 AM
At 4/13/2010 7:25:20 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 4/13/2010 7:23:17 AM, Tamikajones wrote:>

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:35:58 AM
At 4/13/2010 7:33:57 AM, belle wrote:
i'm not a lesbian!

oh.. oops :/

sorry!

Metaphysics:
Tamikajones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:38:30 AM
well then belle IMO is one of the few rare exceptions. I've never seen her use emotions over logic, not once.
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:39:58 AM
At 4/13/2010 7:33:25 AM, ln074246 wrote:

In the interest of full disclosure....

This is my girlfriend.

So... if anybody is offended by my posts you can take it up with her... I'm sure she'll work out a suitable punishment.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:42:05 AM
At 4/13/2010 7:38:30 AM, Tamikajones wrote:
well then belle IMO is one of the few rare exceptions. I've never seen her use emotions over logic, not once.

lol, that might be why I thought she was a lesbian... damned stereotypes!

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:54:23 AM
I guess Belle not being gay kind of ends the Idea that very much can be said about this stuff from the populous of this website...

I was kind of thinking that Lesbians aren't necessarily more logical and whatnot (though I think that might be possible) but rather that outed lesbians generally are used to breaking social norms, and defending/standing up for themselves.

Metaphysics:
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:58:48 AM

It just happens that TheLwerd and Vi both are incredibly logical and happen to be lesbians. Could the following be linked? Perhaps... Don't have enough info to make the call that lesbians are inherently more logical than straight women.

That's the most sexist thing I have ever heard all day, and I'm in my Feminist Philosophy class right now ;) Women have the capability to be just as logical as men. And men behave in emotional ways all the time! (I could search this website and give you guys PLENTY of examples of that, for sure). I believe it is the down right drooling, dogishness of men on this website that makes most straight women leave. Lesbians tend to stay because we aren't phased by straight men, and they realize they can't dog on us after our sexuality has been prodded at and confirmed.

Women are socialized to be weak. Lesbians tend to not follow female socialization as much- we tend to be out of the box because, well, out sexuality makes us test society in the first place. I know LOTS of straight women in my philosophy and psychology (and political) courses who contend quite logically and hold their own with men. Again, I think it's the pure pigishness of a bunch of desperate nerds on this website that keep away the straight females. Straight women tend to care what men think about them - it's in their biology. Gay women don't really give a flying F what straight males think about them. So, when most of them men on this website are drooling or being rude (not really taking them as serious human beings with real opinions), they realize that they don't want to feel like a bleeding fish in a shark pool and leave.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:59:42 AM
I've often wondered about this too (and don't forget GaGa and untitled_entity in your lesbian list!). While it's true that women are more emotional than men, I don't think that has much to do with them not being on this site. Plenty of people here are ruled by their emotions... Christians, for one, and Volkov! Lulz jk. But seriously, I think it's a lack of interest. Straight women it seems are almost 'bred' to care or worry about impressing guys, finding guys, being with guys, etc. and I don't think hanging around this site is something they'd be particularly interested in. I came across DDO in a Facebook ad as did Vi. As brilliant as some of my straight girl friends are, I can't see them ever clicking an ad about a site to debate. Men in general are more competitive, and seem to take more of an interest in this type of hobby. My roommate is straight and she talks to Vi and I all the time about politics, philosophy, etc. and many times we continue discussions in person that began on DDO. However, my roommate has zero desire to join as of now so again I just think it's a lack of interest. The blatant sexism that goes on around here doesn't help either. In fact, I think it puts girls right back in that mode of "Oh I guess I must impress the guys..." which I personally find to be so annoying. Belle doesn't seem like the type of person who gives a sh-t about whether the guys here are attracted to her or not, or care about how she comes off to them, so she's cool. But I'm sorry - I have excellent gaydar and with all due respect I'm at LEAST getting bi vibes ;) Ps. I do think that there are reasons why lesbians are just 'cooler' or more like guys than straight girls in general, but I won't make any grandiose psychological analysiss atm.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:00:02 AM
At 4/13/2010 7:54:23 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I guess Belle not being gay kind of ends the Idea that very much can be said about this stuff from the populous of this website...

I was kind of thinking that Lesbians aren't necessarily more logical and whatnot (though I think that might be possible) but rather that outed lesbians generally are used to breaking social norms, and defending/standing up for themselves.

Yep, agreed with your last sentence there. Lesbians are more prone to stand up for themselves and break social norms because, well, we are already doing that :)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:01:00 AM
At 4/13/2010 7:58:48 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Once again, we say nearly the same thing at the same time.

PS. GET OFFLINE. I didn't drop you off at class to talk to me lol I could have kept you home for that...
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:01:30 AM

That's the most sexist thing I have ever heard all day, and I'm in my Feminist Philosophy class right now ;) Women have the capability to be just as logical as men. And men behave in emotional ways all the time! (I could search this website and give you guys PLENTY of examples of that, for sure). I believe it is the down right drooling, dogishness of men on this website that makes most straight women leave. Lesbians tend to stay because we aren't phased by straight men, and they realize they can't dog on us after our sexuality has been prodded at and confirmed.

lol

Women are socialized to be weak. Lesbians tend to not follow female socialization as much- we tend to be out of the box because, well, out sexuality makes us test society in the first place.

See. that's what I was thinking.

Metaphysics:
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:05:40 AM
At 4/13/2010 8:01:00 AM, theLwerd wrote:

PS. GET OFFLINE. I didn't drop you off at class to talk to me lol I could have kept you home for that...

lol Some idiots decided to have her rant and rave about dichotomies again today. I've heard this same speech all year :) Trust me, I'm participating and listening lol. And baby girl, it's because we're right ;) heheh
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:07:44 AM
At 4/13/2010 8:05:40 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

lol Some idiots decided to have her rant and rave about dichotomies again today.

I put the dick back into dichotomy.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:09:27 AM
At 4/13/2010 8:01:30 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Women are socialized to be weak. Lesbians tend to not follow female socialization as much- we tend to be out of the box because, well, out sexuality makes us test society in the first place.

See. that's what I was thinking.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Straight women are prone to follow social norms, gender norms, etc. and that can conflict with the type of ferocity you need to successfully argue a point, hence there's a conflict. I've also noticed in class that girls are more likely to argue/debate with each other than they will with a guy. Again, this has to do with socialization, stigmas, stereotypes and fear. Plus, I don't think it's necessarily the sexualization of guys on this site that drive girls away, so much as it is the fact that most people here are A$$HOLES. Girls don't generally like that lol I think most girls try to be sweet... Hmm, consider INH. Why do you think she wants to leave? I doubt it's because guys have been hitting on her (I mean that most people know she's religious, possibly asexual, etc. so they probably aren't wasting their time)... It's probably because people here can be jerks, and it gets annoying after awhile. Of course things will get heated on a DEBATE site, but I don't think most girls have the patience or give a sh-t enough to deal with it. I was talking to a new straight female member recently, and she told me that she thought people here were rude morons and left. Lesbians can take the heat. Bring it, bizznatch.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:13:18 AM
At 4/13/2010 8:07:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

lol Some idiots decided to have her rant and rave about dichotomies again today.

lol I don't think that's how it's pronounced... rather something somehow more suitable...

but I've said quite enough I think...

Metaphysics:
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:14:23 AM
Completely agreed, baby girl. Exactly as you said and the peppering of drooling keeps them away. I can tell you, though, that the straight girls in my Feminism course love to verbally beat down the males who make outrageous comments in my class. But then again, it takes a certain type of woman to take a Feminism course and be a Philosophy major.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:16:17 AM
At 4/13/2010 8:14:23 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

But then again, it takes a certain type of woman to take a Feminism course and be a Philosophy major.

Yeah... lesbians. Lulz jk. Besides, philosophy majors are pretty much forced to argue and debate so they're probably used to it. Also, most feminism classes contain mostly women. There's also the fact that the material is generally in their favor, and there are so many other girls in the class to back them up in the first place, etc.
President of DDO
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:18:15 AM
At 4/13/2010 8:13:18 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 4/13/2010 8:07:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

lol I don't think that's how it's pronounced... rather something somehow more suitable...

Isn't it? Oh dear...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:18:27 AM

hahah that actually made me laugh... Even though dichotomies are used to keep down the feminine in philosophical literature ;) So C_N's pronunciation should be the normative pronunciation in my opinion :p
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:20:10 AM
At 4/13/2010 8:18:27 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

hahah that actually made me laugh... Even though dichotomies are used to keep down the feminine in philosophical literature ;) So C_N's pronunciation should be the normative pronunciation in my opinion :p

So seriously it's not pronounced dick-cot-tom-me?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:20:30 AM
Yeah, I was going to comment on the pronunciation but then I realized there are 2 consonants in between the vowels (dichotomies) which I have always been taught makes the vowel soft sounding as opposed to long sounding, so I think indeed CN's pronunciation might be correct - hence why I didn't say anything. I think in Britain they may pronounce it the proper way too...
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 8:21:57 AM
At 4/13/2010 8:20:10 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

So seriously it's not pronounced dick-cot-tom-me?

No, lol. There are two ways I've always heard it pronounced. Dyke-ot-oh-me and Day-kot-oh-me.