Jump to topic:

Profanity on DDO

vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2014 11:52:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It seems that it is widely accepted to bypass filters via replacing certain letters with symbols.

This violates the entire purpose the filter is there to begin with and should be a bannable offense.
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 12:08:33 AM
At 10/12/2014 11:55:30 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Save some material for the future; you won't have anything left if you use it all today.

Sorry?
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 12:43:21 AM
At 10/13/2014 12:08:33 AM, vwv wrote:
Save some material for the future; you won't have anything left if you use it all today.

Sorry?

He is saying that all this has been said and done. This same, and other drama repeat every few weeeks on ddo. Everybody will ignore you, dont get over ambitious. If you were a more prominent member you would have more effect.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 12:43:48 AM
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 12:46:02 AM
At 10/13/2014 12:43:21 AM, Ajabi wrote:
At 10/13/2014 12:08:33 AM, vwv wrote:

Sorry?

He is saying that all this has been said and done. This same, and other drama repeat every few weeks on DDO. Everybody will ignore you, don't get over ambitious. If you were a more prominent member you would have more effect.
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:17:51 AM
At 10/12/2014 11:52:05 PM, vwv wrote:
It seems that it is widely accepted to bypass filters via replacing certain letters with symbols.

This violates the entire purpose the filter is there to begin with and should be a bannable offense.

Filters are pointless, anyways. There's no such thing as a "bad word". Bad intentions, sure... But saying something offensive can be done just as well without "bad words" as it can with them.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:18:56 AM
At 10/13/2014 1:17:51 AM, mrsatan wrote:

Filters are pointless, anyways. There's no such thing as a "bad word". Bad intentions, sure... But saying something offensive can be done just as well without "bad words" as it can with them.

That's an entirely separate debate.

this is about the self contradiction in the community's values.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:30:33 AM

I'm no fan of profanity (don't use it myself; nope, when I stub my toe or whatnot I just say "Ouch!", I don't utter an expletive), but what you're advocating is a bit too extreme. And omitting or replacing letters in a vulgarism with other characters is not just a way of circumventing the profanity filter, it can be a legitimate way of alluding to a felicitous profane word without actually using it. So, in short, no, I think that banning members for bypassing the profanity filter would by unjustified and way too draconian.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:32:28 AM
At 10/13/2014 1:30:33 AM, charleslb wrote:

I'm no fan of profanity (don't use it myself; nope, when I stub my toe or whatnot I just say "Ouch!", I don't utter an expletive), but what you're advocating is a bit too extreme. And omitting or replacing letters in a vulgarism with other characters is not just a way of circumventing the profanity filter, it can be a legitimate way of alluding to a felicitous profane word without actually using it. So, in short, no, I think that banning members for bypassing the profanity filter would by unjustified and way too draconian.

You are delivering the same word, anyone with a brain and eye can work out what
the word is. Curious children may even Google the word filling in the symbol with other letters to work out what the word even is out of curiosity and this is very poor culture-wise for an intellectual community to endorse.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:35:34 AM
At 10/13/2014 1:32:28 AM, vwv wrote:

the word is. Curious children may even Google the word filling in the symbol with other letters to work out what the word even is out of curiosity and this is very poor culture-wise for an intellectual community to endorse.

I appreciate your concerns and consider them to be legitimate and commendable, but I still hold that they don't justify such an extreme measure as banning.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:36:42 AM
At 10/13/2014 1:35:34 AM, charleslb wrote:

I appreciate your concerns and consider them to be legitimate and commendable, but I still hold that they don't justify such an extreme measure as banning.

Then why is the filter even there if anyone can just bypass it?
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:40:11 AM
At 10/13/2014 1:36:42 AM, vwv wrote:

I suppose merely to deter excessive use of full-fledged vulgarisms.
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:43:52 AM
At 10/13/2014 1:40:11 AM, charleslb wrote:
At 10/13/2014 1:36:42 AM, vwv wrote:

I suppose merely to deter excessive use of full-fledged vulgarisms.

That's my point. It should stop the word entirely and punish those who dare to bypass it.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:44:11 AM

Btw, are you a fellow anarchist communist? Just curious.
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:47:49 AM
At 10/13/2014 1:44:11 AM, charleslb wrote:

Not exactly... I'd say that I'm someone who believes that everyone should have equal chance to gain power but that the power they gain should be enforcable via ownership of property and land of some kind that can be rented out to the less fortunate. my issue is that it should be a worldwide currency (bitcoin for instance) and that we are more than developed enough as a planet to engage in a world-wide state where everyone has a say in what goes on policy-wise as per their region.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 1:55:01 AM
At 10/13/2014 1:47:49 AM, vwv wrote:
At 10/13/2014 1:44:11 AM, charleslb wrote:

Not exactly... I'd say that I'm someone who believes that everyone should have equal chance to gain power but that the power they gain should be enforcable via ownership of property and land of some kind that can be rented out to the less fortunate. my issue is that it should be a worldwide currency (bitcoin for instance) and that we are more than developed enough as a planet to engage in a world-wide state where everyone has a say in what goes on policy-wise as per their region.

Thank you for clarifying your views. In your profile you identify your political worldview as anarchist and your party affiliation as Workers World Party so I thought that you might perhaps hold views closer to my own.
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 2:05:51 AM
Literally a few hours of sleep and now all of DDO hates this one guy. Love it.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 2:21:21 AM

They put filters and censors on profanity not because it is offensive, but because they are afraid minors will pick up on the profanity.

Replacing letters in profanity with symbols makes it so that minors won't understand while adults understand.

I remember when I was little I'd watch TV with my dad, and whenever there was a "beep" censoring profanity, I didn't understand what it was. I always thought there was something wrong with the TV and it randomly beeps. My dad on the other hand, must have understood the profanity.

Replacing symbols has the same effect. If I were young, I would consider profanity with replaced letters as a typo, but people who are old enough would understand.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 2:22:26 AM
At 10/13/2014 2:05:51 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

I actually love this guy.
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 2:38:18 AM
At 10/13/2014 2:21:21 AM, Defro wrote:

They put filters and censors on profanity not because it is offensive, but because they are afraid minors will pick up on the profanity.

Replacing letters in profanity with symbols makes it so that minors won't understand while adults understand.

I remember when I was little I'd watch TV with my dad, and whenever there was a "beep" censoring profanity, I didn't understand what it was. I always thought there was something wrong with the TV and it randomly beeps. My dad on the other hand, must have understood the profanity.

Replacing symbols has the same effect. If I were young, I would consider profanity with replaced letters as a typo, but people who are old enough would understand.

so what about people replacing u with v, i wth ! and ss with sss?

Aside from this, any child can just type the other letters in and replace the missing one. It's nothing like bleeping at all.

On top of all that, profanity is disgusting and unnecessary.

It is against the rules of DDo and should be a bannable offense.
vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 2:38:46 AM
At 10/13/2014 2:22:26 AM, Defro wrote:

Sarcasm?
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 3:28:04 AM
At 10/13/2014 2:38:46 AM, vwv wrote:

Sarcasm?

Not at all. You've been very active in contributing to the forums. I think that's great!
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 3:33:54 AM

Your and oddity defro.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 3:34:30 AM
At 10/13/2014 3:33:54 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

Your an oddity defro.

Fixed*

vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 3:35:32 AM
At 10/13/2014 3:34:30 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

You're an oddity, Defro.

Fixed*
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 3:37:15 AM
At 10/13/2014 3:35:32 AM, vwv wrote:

You're an oddity, Defro.

Fixed*

Thank you gentleman, I appriciate the help.

vwv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 3:37:55 AM
At 10/13/2014 3:37:15 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

You're an oddity, Defro.

Fixed*

Thank you gentleman, I appreciate the help.

Fixed*
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 3:45:37 AM
At 10/13/2014 3:37:55 AM, vwv wrote:
At 10/13/2014 3:37:15 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:

You're an oddity, Defro.

Fixed*

Thank you gentleman, I appreciate the help.

Fixed*
Thanks again. I lik how you fixe my wrd's it tacos me so ethin

Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2014 3:48:20 AM

Your an oddity defro.

Fixed*

I'm not an oddity.
I'm $wagg M@ster Defro.